Lg v20 vs. Note 7, got both, let's compare!

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
That was my stance too, until the flight ban. No desire to device juggle, so with Note 4 until BB gets a V20. If the $200 trade goes away, will get from Verizon store when back from trip.

I haven't flown since Sept 11... :) refuse to be violated by TSA perverts! I don't mind juggling phones; it's apparently pretty easy with Verizon. Also; had I known all this... I wouldn't have given back my Note 4 to Verizon.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't care for these "synthetic" benchmark tests but I ran it just for fun lol. The LG V20 is definitely faster in real life and benchmarks lol!!

Well, mine's not... I wonder what the difference is? You have a LG-H918... what is that? I have the VS995, that's the Verizon version.

I'm going to reboot both phones and try again...

I also agree that the synthetic benchmarks may not be the best... But, you know what's worse? People just saying they "know" their phone is faster. I'm actually trying to set my bias aside for everyone's benefit and measure these things... :)

My v20 is a fast phone, but it doesn't seem to do anything faster that I can tell. I have more vids to make, like loading Chrome, etc., but they seem to run neck and neck.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Already reports the synthetic marks are bogus. A 820 is an 820
I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean... surely you're not saying that people's subjective feelings are more accurate? What would be a better way to test?

Have done things like set them side-by-side on the table and brought up browser windows and swipe screen to see how quickly the phone responds... That kind of thing.

And honestly the phones seem neck-and-neck. But this would be a good exercise to figure out how to better test this, because people just saying my phone is faster may not be the most accurate way to do it :)

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I read there was some issue with Nougat and some of the benchmarks.

My husband doesn't understand why I have 4 phones but, happy wife, happy life. I love my V20s and my V10. My S7e definitely takes a back seat to them.

dohlo

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I went back and checked out the AT&T variant again today for a good while, it is definitely a solid and snappy phone. Got used to the display, and I'm pretty impressed with the speed and fluidity of Nougat. Split screen isn't a necessity for me, but would be awesome while searching for attachment files/pictures etc. Only thing I haven't had the chance to try yet is audio, but I don't doubt that it will be great.

My friend that works at that particular store told me if I want to try it out for 14 days, he can switch the IMEI to work on my primary number, and since it involved the N7 and they're "all for customer safety," he could get the $45 restocking fee waived if I decide I don't like it. On top of that, he could activate one of the lines as a tablet (I guess it would work the same as a regular mobile line???) so it would only be an additional $10 instead of $20. Think I'm sold, I'll be back tomorrow afternoon to pick one up!

Manual camera options are dope! The pro settings on my N7 are great, but these seem more user friendly and, eh, successful at what they accomplish? Looking forward to some real world hands on time with it

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
To me, Note 7 was KING, plain & simple.

HOWEVER, LG V20 is DEFINITELY "QUEEN"...

Oh, and Pixel? (Once again) to ME, that offering is nothing MORE than the "Prince"... Could it be KING? Maybe one day, WHEN & IF it grows up and has a little more flare to go along with that 1000 bucks price tag....

For now, as far as i'm concerned, at the end of the day, ONCE you have owned the Pixel and the "newness wears off" all you REALLY have is Nougat, a lightning fast phone, (in a kind of clunky form factor with HUGE bezels IMO) and all you can REALLY do with it that you cannot do with the V20 is anticipate how you will get the NEXT Androids update faster than any phone around.... (big whoop!)

Other than that, ANYTHING it can do, LG V20 can just about do as well, or EVEN BETTER...

Long live The Queen : )

BTC

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Every category is really a stretch. I prefer the removable battery, the Dac, edge is gimmicky, and the V20 doesn't have a glass back, Nougat. There may be more but these are without even thinking.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
As a Verizon user one thing that really tips things into the V20's favor versus the S7 Edge and the Pixel XL is the $672 price.
The price of the Pixel is just outrageous imo. The s7 edge was groundbreaking in its time and I can understand its high price. What I don't get, and this applies to LG as well, is why a 6 month old model costs as much today as when brand new? Used these phones drop rapidly in value but a new one at Verizon (where I almost always buy my phones for the sake of simplicity) the retail price never drops. My VZW still sells the V10 for as much as the day it came out. The Apple 6s has dropped in price. The S7 edge hasn't dropped a penny. That makes zero sense to me. Now I returned a Note 7 so I think I get $100 credit if I buy a s7e but that's way too expensive imo. It should be a $600 phone by now. They won't even update it to the latest Sammy ui. I just don't get it. The v10 should be like $400 now but VZW will just take them off the shelves and sell them to a reseller so you can't get a warranty through them or something. I mean why not pass on the savings to the customers when you dump an old model? I think you can buy an s5 or 6s but that's about it for old models.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm starting to try to come up with justifications to give my husband why I'm going to keep both phones... Any logical insight that you all could give me would be much appreciated :) I'm starting to like the v20, but I still don't want to give up my Note 7

So you're keeping the Note 7 for better or for worse.....

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The price of the Pixel is just outrageous imo. The s7 edge was groundbreaking in its time and I can understand its high price. What I don't get, and this applies to LG as well, is why a 6 month old model costs as much today as when brand new? Used these phones drop rapidly in value but a new one at Verizon (where I almost always buy my phones for the sake of simplicity) the retail price never drops. My VZW still sells the V10 for as much as the day it came out. The Apple 6s has dropped in price. The S7 edge hasn't dropped a penny. That makes zero sense to me. Now I returned a Note 7 so I think I get $100 credit if I buy a s7e but that's way too expensive imo. It should be a $600 phone by now. They won't even update it to the latest Sammy ui. I just don't get it. The v10 should be like $400 now but VZW will just take them off the shelves and sell them to a reseller so you can't get a warranty through them or something. I mean why not pass on the savings to the customers when you dump an old model? I think you can buy an s5 or 6s but that's about it for old models.

There's a lot that goes into their seemingly illogical pricing structure.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm not exactly sure I understand what you mean... surely you're not saying that people's subjective feelings are more accurate? What would be a better way to test?

Have done things like set them side-by-side on the table and brought up browser windows and swipe screen to see how quickly the phone responds... That kind of thing.

And honestly the phones seem neck-and-neck. But this would be a good exercise to figure out how to better test this, because people just saying my phone is faster may not be the most accurate way to do it :)
Benchmarks for the same chipset should be similar. Reviews and personal tests show the Note 7 and V20 to be similar in speed.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Every category is really a stretch. I prefer the removable battery, the Dac, edge is gimmicky, and the V20 doesn't have a glass back, Nougat. There may be more but these are without even thinking.
Ironically the V20 has delicate camera glass and no water resistance , so kind of nulls it's lack of glass advantage. Especially the delicate camera glass. How did they miss that after "60,000" durability tests?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
The V20 screen will save your eyes. The oversaturation and over contrast of the Sammy screens will actually hurt your eyes.
You can adjust to basic and the saturation goes away. Similar issue with the V20. Reviews dinged the blue display tone, but can easily be removed with calibration adjustment.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I have a note 7 and v20 and the lg v20 is good but.... As of now my camera is not up to n7 standards. Please share your camera settings with me. I have seen pictures posted on the site that look better than my pics. Some of my pics look hazy.
Turn HDR on.

subguy812

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Ironically the V20 has delicate camera glass and no water resistance , so kind of nulls it's lack of glass advantage. Especially the delicate camera glass. How did they miss that after "60,000" durability tests?
Oh yeah I forgot your fixation on the camera glass. It would really be an engineering feat to have water resistance and a removable back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez