Future of LG and removable batteries

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm guessing that LG will ditch the removable battery on the V30. It's definitely something I can live without but I get why some like it. I just don't find that I am in a place where I am not able to charge the phone if I need to. I have chargers in my house, at work and in my car and those are the places that I am most of the time. If I know I'm going somewhere where I won't have access to power, I have a power pack or I just charge up beforehand.

It bothers me more that a few years ago, most top android phones had IR blasters and now, very few do. Admittedly, it's not a feature that I use a heck of a lot but I do find it really convenient when I do use it. I'm guessing the V30 will not have this feature either.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing that LG will ditch the removable battery on the V30. It's definitely something I can live without but I get why some like it. I just don't find that I am in a place where I am not able to charge the phone if I need to. I have chargers in my house, at work and in my car and those are the places that I am most of the time. If I know I'm going somewhere where I won't have access to power, I have a power pack or I just charge up beforehand.

It bothers me more that a few years ago, most top android phones had IR blasters and now, very few do. Admittedly, it's not a feature that I use a heck of a lot but I do find it really convenient when I do use it. I'm guessing the V30 will not have this feature either.

I guess I'll be okay​ with them sealing the especially since phones now days are efficient, however, I love the convenience of swapping batteries and prefer them over wireless charging (which can reduce your batteries lifespan). With the Galaxy S8 you can the new smaller advanced SD 835 chip, AND the ability to reduce the screen resolution to conserve battery. Bigger battery is not needed either.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'll be okay​ with them sealing the especially since phones now days are efficient, however, I love the convenience of swapping batteries and prefer them over wireless charging (which can reduce your batteries lifespan). With the Galaxy S8 you can the new smaller advanced SD 835 chip, AND the ability to reduce the screen resolution to conserve battery. Bigger battery is not needed either.
I like being able to pull the battery as a method of resetting the phone. Whenever it starts acting strange, I'll do a battery pull. I usually do it like once a week just for the hell of it. Definitely looking forward to see what the V30 will bring. I like the LG environment much more than Samsung.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll tolerate a sealed battery if I can get to it by popping a few screws and easily open everything up. Note, I say tolerate, not like it. That way if/when the battery itself goes kaput, I can replace it myself. Seems like the places around here only like to work on Apple and Samsung, and I don't see why I should pay the manufacturer upwards of $100 or whatever to replace a $10 part.

bahee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I have owned Samsung galaxy s phones, seemingly, forever. Currently using an S4 since the S5 does not have a removable battery, so did not get the upgrade. Stuck with an older model even though it's a refurbished phone. Two features I require in a phone are a removable battery and a removable SD card. I own many S4 (some S3 since they are smaller but will fit the S4) batteries, some are extended for more using time. Any suggestions for an LG phone with a removable battery? I use Sprint. Thanks for your suggestions. Barbara. 04.15.2017

mrdave570

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
Yes Barbara, the LG V20 has both removable battery and a removable mini SD card slot. This phone can handle a 2 Terabyte mini SD card. Get a second battery and charger on Amazon so you can walk around without a portable phone charger.

huskeryogi

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
I've also asked you and others to provide the pros and cons of a removable battery - a request that you and everyone else except Mooncatt has so far ignored. So as we have it, there are dozens of reasons an OEM would not want a removable battery and there is only one reason, brought up so far, that a consumer would want it to be removable, and that reason is actually argued against by at least two separate reasons you would want to seal it.

Nine months of the year I sit at my desk and the removable battery issue is just a preference. Although I do like the option of being able to shutdown and remove the battery when the phone gets warm - it cools faster.

October - December I help out in the field for the company I work for. The vehicles provided do not have power adapters so battery is the only option. Work is active so carrying around a battery pack is cumbersome at best (at worst I lose them). I'm frequently working in cold temperatures so the battery depletes faster than normal. Last year I was sent to help in a city/state I've never been before working 12-14 hour days. I don't know how I would have accomplished that without the maps on my cell phone and without my spare battery it would have been dead halfway through the day.

So I only have 1 reason, but explain how I make a sealed phone work in that scenario. I also think you're drastically underestimating the number of people with active outdoor jobs who prefer removable batteries rather than having to carry around an external battery pack. Explain the benefit of making phones thinner when I have to carry an additional piece of hardware around with me all the time.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nine months of the year I sit at my desk and the removable battery issue is just a preference. Although I do like the option of being able to shutdown and remove the battery when the phone gets warm - it cools faster.

October - December I help out in the field for the company I work for. The vehicles provided do not have power adapters so battery is the only option. Work is active so carrying around a battery pack is cumbersome at best (at worst I lose them). I'm frequently working in cold temperatures so the battery depletes faster than normal. Last year I was sent to help in a city/state I've never been before working 12-14 hour days. I don't know how I would have accomplished that without the maps on my cell phone and without my spare battery it would have been dead halfway through the day.

So I only have 1 reason, but explain how I make a sealed phone work in that scenario. I also think you're drastically underestimating the number of people with active outdoor jobs who prefer removable batteries rather than having to carry around an external battery pack. Explain the benefit of making phones thinner when I have to carry an additional piece of hardware around with me all the time.

This would work perfectly for what you described:

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Por...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5772393

You don't carry it around everywhere and have it plugged in all the time; leave it in the vehicle, charge while you're driving. This will charge all the mainstream flagship devices 5 to 6 times from zero to full, or for those who don't let it die, you're looking at 10-15 charge cycles. Remember, a 30 minute charge is currently worth 7-8 hours of "mixed usage", whatever that means. So if the maps are in any way being used in conjunction with driving, that's a pretty easy thing to solve for. If not, charging while driving to the site and charging during a 10 minute break a couple of times would be enough to meet the 12-14 hours you're talking about, and then some.

huskeryogi

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
This would work perfectly for what you described:

https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-Por...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5772415

You don't carry it around everywhere and have it plugged in all the time; leave it in the vehicle, charge while you're driving. This will charge all the mainstream flagship devices 5 to 6 times from zero to full, or for those who don't let it die, you're looking at 10-15 charge cycles. Remember, a 30 minute charge is currently worth 7-8 hours of "mixed usage", whatever that means. So if the maps are in any way being used in conjunction with driving, that's a pretty easy thing to solve for. If not, charging while driving to the site and charging during a 10 minute break a couple of times would be enough to meet the 12-14 hours you're talking about, and then some.

I'm trying not to say where I work, but it's delivery work. In the car for less than a min then on to the next house/business. And every "fast" charger I've ever had was misleading. I'd put it on the charger at 30% and 20 min later it's 90% full, but it goes back down to 30% almost immediately.

Why are you so invested in people NOT having a removable battery option? Since seeing the renders of the V30, I know I'm going to buy a V20 when my contract expires and a ton of spare batteries so I can delay being forced on to a non-removable phone as long as possible. From reading this thread it seems like most people who prefer that option recognize there are trade-offs. I'm never planning to go swimming with my phone and I don't care if the back is plastic (I put it in a case anyway). Why does it bother you that I want something different in a phone than you do?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying not to say where I work, but it's delivery work. In the car for less than a min then on to the next house/business. And every "fast" charger I've ever had was misleading. I'd put it on the charger at 30% and 20 min later it's 90% full, but it goes back down to 30% almost immediately.

Why are you so invested in people NOT having a removable battery option? Since seeing the renders of the V30, I know I'm going to buy a V20 when my contract expires and a ton of spare batteries so I can delay being forced on to a non-removable phone as long as possible. From reading this thread it seems like most people who prefer that option recognize there are trade-offs. I'm never planning to go swimming with my phone and I don't care if the back is plastic (I put it in a case anyway). Why does it bother you that I want something different in a phone than you do?

It doesn't bother me at all; you quoted me and so I was offering a potential solution to the issue you described. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

huskeryogi

Apr 20, 2017
Visit site
It doesn't bother me at all; you quoted me and so I was offering a potential solution to the issue you described. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work.

My best estimate would be that 25% of the posts on this thread are you arguing with people who want removable battery functionality. There are some very long detailed posts and a significant time investment for someone who isn't bothered.

I saw industry estimates a couple years ago that put the desire for a removable battery at 20% of the market. That's a significant enough population to warrant consideration yet all the manufacturers are moving away from it. It's hard not to think planned obsolescence isn't the goal.

I switched from Samsung to LG so I could keep a removable battery. If LG loses that option, I have no incentive to stay with them.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
My best estimate would be that 25% of the posts on this thread are you arguing with people who want removable battery functionality. There are some very long detailed posts and a significant time investment for someone who isn't bothered.

I saw industry estimates a couple years ago that put the desire for a removable battery at 20% of the market. That's a significant enough population to warrant consideration yet all the manufacturers are moving away from it. It's hard not to think planned obsolescence isn't the goal.

I switched from Samsung to LG so I could keep a removable battery. If LG loses that option, I have no incentive to stay with them.
I spend a lot of time arguing that people should buy whatever it is that they like themselves and to hell with everyone else's opinion.

In this thread, I'm presenting a case for why I believe that nonremovable is better and most of the text is responding to those who are unwilling to accept any reasoning that contradicts their own use case. If you read carefully, you can see​that it's mostly pushing for honest reasoning, not pushing for conformity.

I am not suggesting that they should or shouldn't want anything, I'm making a case for why the industry is moving away from a feature and why I agree with that direction.

Salt Trader

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I don't know that is fact but I imagine many do. There are a lot of people that buy phones for strange reasons. Look at the majority of Iphone and Samsung customers. My ex wife, my daughter, ex girlfriends all have IPhones.... Two of my brothers buy Samsung....all of the dance moms and kids at my daughter's dance academy mostly have IPhones. None of them can tell you anything about phones except the brand name. Their are two coworkers at my job that have the G4.... They know nothing about phones. The Lan support employees have a mix of Android personal phones because being techies they hate Iphones. Their work phones are Iphone. Only us phone snobs that hang out in forums care about this feature or that feature. Trying explaining Quad DAC s to the average person or high end headphones. They pretend to understand but they could care less.

To summarize, yes dumb people follow the crowds without any idea of where they are going. I would like to believe smart people buy features that they need. I for one need two things from a phone: 1: Expandable memory. 2: Replaceable battery.

Why you ask, easy, I carry movies, books, emulators over 200 gigs. I go places internet is unavailable and no, cloud storage is not an option where I travel. (think open range, mountain area).

On to number 2, I go place were a power source is not an option for multiple days. I replaceable battery allows me to change the power source and be on the move without having to deal with a battery bank.

In addition, I just felt frustrated to no end trying to replace a battery from a Moto x pure (battery would die after a few hours). After having to deal with glue, badly placed screws and an enclosure that was never meant to be opened I decided to go with the LG V20 for the two reasons mentioned above.

Yes, I do need the V30 to have a replaceable battery and expandable storage. Do I care if its IPX68, would be nice, but the my two wants above trump it every single time!

For a device that cost 800+ US dollars I expect a lot more! I think the cell phone market is seriously gouging us poor consumers!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
To summarize, yes dumb people follow the crowds without any idea of where they are going. I would like to believe smart people buy features that they need. I for one need two things from a phone: 1: Expandable memory. 2: Replaceable battery.

Why you ask, easy, I carry movies, books, emulators over 200 gigs. I go places internet is unavailable and no, cloud storage is not an option where I travel. (think open range, mountain area).

On to number 2, I go place were a power source is not an option for multiple days. I replaceable battery allows me to change the power source and be on the move without having to deal with a battery bank.

In addition, I just felt frustrated to no end trying to replace a battery from a Moto x pure (battery would die after a few hours). After having to deal with glue, badly placed screws and an enclosure that was never meant to be opened I decided to go with the LG V20 for the two reasons mentioned above.

Yes, I do need the V30 to have a replaceable battery and expandable storage. Do I care if its IPX68, would be nice, but the my two wants above trump it every single time!

For a device that cost 800+ US dollars I expect a lot more! I think the cell phone market is seriously gouging us poor consumers!

Ultimately I prefer removable for the convenience of going from zero to one hundred in seconds. You can also buy a bigger battery instead of swapping. I probably will upgrade in less than 2 years but I still like the idea of putting in a new battery in case I decide to keep it without have to tear the phone apart.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Yep for your use case definitely sounds like you need it unless you're willing to use the other options.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Don't know if it's been mentionedyet here in this thread but I recently read an article that said LG will be introducing curved displays for their upcoming V30 device. What I want to know is........

WHY DO THEY THINK WE WANT A CURVED DISPLAY??????????? WHY?!?!?!?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Don't know if it's been mentionedyet here in this thread but I recently read an article that said LG will be introducing curved displays for their upcoming V30 device. What I want to know is........

WHY DO THEY THINK WE WANT A CURVED DISPLAY??????????? WHY?!?!?!?

Don't know if it's true to be but it would be obvious that they would presenting themselves as an alternative to Sammy

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if it's true to be but it would be obvious that they would presenting themselves as an alternative to Sammy
Except by being different, they currently are an alternate to Sammy. If I wanted a dang Sammy, I would've bought a dang Sammy.

Salt Trader

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Curved screen I personally couldn't care less, however those would also come with Amoled which would mean more efficiency and less battery drain hopefully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress