LG V20 and Removable Batteries

Doug Moffat

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Tech writers, like automotive scribes, are in the clichbait business of gushing over every new premium phone that is released.

Very few have credibility. I exclude Andy Ihnatko and a few others.

Ejjba

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
This is why we NEED removable batteries:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-6p/774699-battery-death.html#post5699911

Sure phones are great when you first own them. Yay! Battery is awesome, phone is fast, no problems. 1 year later, battery is struggling to hold a charge...

I change battery over every few weeks, but if one went after only a year I would go nuts. I expect at least a few years from batteries. Most people don't turn phones over ever year. From what I have been reading many are going to 3 years. Nothing really exciting to change to....yet

Joeykool

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Goodbye LG, was nice using you for a while, V20 was excellent. You sold out. Removable batteries are great, phones shouldn't be disposable, but batteries are. Looking into a One Plus or Huawei Mate, at least metal backs are better than glass IMO.

The v20 back is metal...

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
V30 sounds horrible to me. We lose all our best features and get a big G6. Hope my V20 lasts.

Agreed. Keeping my V20 until it actually dies. Though I might upgrade, I'll always have the V20 to depend on. People don't think long term, they see a new shiney device, they cash out on it. 1 year later, they go on forums and complain about battery drain.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I change battery over every few weeks, but if one went after only a year I would go nuts. I expect at least a few years from batteries. Most people don't turn phones over ever year. From what I have been reading many are going to 3 years. Nothing really exciting to change to....yet

On top of that, most manufactures only support warranty for 1 year.

MittenSportsFan

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I would love for V30 to have removable battery.
It is a must for the way I use my phone.
I have multiple apps that utilize precise location and 100% screen on time and can't be tethered to a cheating cable.
I get about 3 hours before a battery change is needed.
I have 3 batteries and 2 charging packs.
One charger is on nightstand and the other in my truck.
I swap batteries in the morning when I get up and the every 3 hours.
I currently use a V10.
Of V30 has sealed battery I will try to find new V20.

Thomas S3

Oct 16, 2017
Visit site
In all my years owning mobile phones I've never once carried or felt the need to carry a spare battery to swap out. I just put the phone on charge everytime I'm near a charger so I never get in the position of running out. The last android I owned that had a replaceable battery was my LG G5 with horrible battery life and even now I carry a Lumia 950xl alongside my s8+ for work and I don't even consider a spare battery for it. It's just one more thing to carry
And I bought the lgv20 specifically because it had a swappable battery. I just swapped five minutes ago and I'm now back to 100%. Even fast-charging can't do that. I laugh at the people at the airport who are Tethered to the outlet sitting on the floor trying to get the last charge before they get on the plane!

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
My v20 is a awesome phone. It's replaceable battery makes it so that I never have anxiety attacks like I have with other phones, no matter how much SOT they supposedly get.

We've all seen these claims that the various phones get, but from my experience none really do if you use your phone for everything, have all your accounts syncing regularly, and have the brightness up where you can really enjoy the screen in daytime.

I've listened to people who have to have a "waterproof" phone and we all know that this is pure bunk for they aren't waterproof but water resistant and I don't know of any oem that covers water damage...

So where does this leave us who want and need a phone with a removable battery? Hosed... That's where....

Thanks LG.. I'll pass on your new phones and look for other solutions for my mobile needs.. You've lost a good customer for now and the funny thing is I am not alone in how I feel.. Oh... BTW... This will effect my other purchases of your products.. Like a new OLED TV.. Refrigerator, washer/dryer.. Because I don't really see a need to subsidise your bottom line..

Mac

mrdave570

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
And I bought the lgv20 specifically because it had a swappable battery. I just swapped five minutes ago and I'm now back to 100%. Even fast-charging can't do that. I laugh at the people at the airport who are Tethered to the outlet sitting on the floor trying to get the last charge before they get on the plane!

I saw this too over the weekend. People sitting on airport floors next to an outlet. Meanwhile, I flipped batteries after I boarded my plane so I could listen to some music. This peace of mind situation is what I want from every phone. I have not used my external battery charger since I bought my V20 last Dec. There is no point to carrying it around. I know that I will never own another phone with a replaceable battery or metal back after my V20 is paid for in 1.5 years from now. I have 3 batteries including 1 that I won't use until next Summer so I can use a very fresh one.

xplod566

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
My v20 is a awesome phone. It's replaceable battery makes it so that I never have anxiety attacks like I have with other phones, no matter how much SOT they supposedly get.

We've all seen these claims that the various phones get, but from my experience none really do if you use your phone for everything, have all your accounts syncing regularly, and have the brightness up where you can really enjoy the screen in daytime.

I've listened to people who have to have a "waterproof" phone and we all know that this is pure bunk for they aren't waterproof but water resistant and I don't know of any oem that covers water damage...

So where does this leave us who want and need a phone with a removable battery? Hosed... That's where....

Thanks LG.. I'll pass on your new phones and look for other solutions for my mobile needs.. You've lost a good customer for now and the funny thing is I am not alone in how I feel.. Oh... BTW... This will effect my other purchases of your products.. Like a new OLED TV.. Refrigerator, washer/dryer.. Because I don't really see a need to subsidise your bottom line..

Mac
Hello.It looks like you are a heavy user.
Could you tell me what is the SOT you get if u ideally use like this...

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I saw this too over the weekend. People sitting on airport floors next to an outlet. Meanwhile, I flipped batteries after I boarded my plane so I could listen to some music. This peace of mind situation is what I want from every phone. I have not used my external battery charger since I bought my V20 last Dec. There is no point to carrying it around. I know that I will never own another phone with a replaceable battery or metal back after my V20 is paid for in 1.5 years from now. I have 3 batteries including 1 that I won't use until next Summer so I can use a very fresh one.

I've heard it's best to store batteries at 50% for better longevity. Never let it reach below 15% and if possible, stop charging at 80% but you don't have to. I rotate 4 batteries evenly so I have 4x longer life span than an average person with sealed phone.

Also, avoid knock off Chinese imitation batteries (looks the same, doesn't fit 100% right, fits too tight). Those batteries aren't certified or tested, can cause problems down the road. Also, only use the official white V20 charging cradle, never aftermarket.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

My V20 SOT varies, obviously a lot more if I use battery saving mode. I normally get 3-4 hours, but sometimes get 5-6. Remember to turn off "OK Google" detection, that was left on and my battery was dying faster. Honestly, the V20's battery is extremely reliable and consistent, I haven't been more confident with any other phone, I know that my phone will last and that's a good thing.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Here's mine.

I never use battery saving mode.

8ad3b8129891358b28de277d7f4de445.jpg

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

Around 4 hours on really heavy long days if cell reception is good, less if little to no signal.

The biggest thing for me is not all batteries are equal, even coming straight from LG. I've measured the difference I get between my 3 new ones and it is surprising that they are not all the same.. I would imagine that the ones that are 3rd party are like this though..

Mac

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Omg u have 5 hrs sot.i get hardly 3.5 to 4 hrs with 70% brightness,autosync ,4g WiFi high accuracy Facebook and messenger installed.
Total usage time would be nrkth if 12hrs.is it good ?

Did you turn off "OK Google" voice detection? That's what was killing my battery. Didn't even know I had it on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa