SOLVED BlueBorne Malware Susceptible

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
NOW SOLVED BY RECENT UPDATE

have a VZW V20 and an Android 2 watch. Now I hear about this new BlueBorne malware that infects our devices through Bluetooth. There is a patch Pixel users have received in a recent update but not us? When will Verizon give us our August security patch? God knows we have enough to worry about with tue Equifax disaster. Apparently this BlueBorne can totally take over your phone and steal your info and money. There is an Android patch but we'll all be infected before we get it. Not. even clear if keeping bluetooth off protects us. No way to check if we're already infected. Happy days.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: BlueBorne Malware Susceptible

First I've heard of this, but I do know the police in Michigan got in trouble a while back for using a forensics device that can essentially do this without probable cause or even a warrant.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

First I've heard of this, but I do know the police in Michigan got in trouble a while back for using a forensics device that can essentially do this without probable cause or even a warrant.
Well yesterday was zero day, the day we were perhaps most likely to be infected. It infects ALL bluetooth devices, cars, smart tv, computers, phones, refrigerators etc. Icalled VZW and amazingly they know about it and have asked LG for a patch but no dice so we are twisting in the wind. Keep your bluetooth off when in proximity to any other devices. Got a bluetooth watch? Tough. Pixel owners are ok and iphone with latest update also safe but not you or I on V20

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Not even clear if keeping bluetooth off protects us. No way to check if we're already infected.
Turning Bluetooth off does prevent someone from utilizing this attack.

This app https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.armis.blueborne_detector&token=7vPtyieJ was mentioned in Jerry's writeup about the issue, but apparently it just determines if your device is vulnerable - you actually need the latest Security update to get the fix. Who knows when that will show up on this device.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Turning Bluetooth off does prevent someone from utilizing this attack.

This app https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.armis.blueborne_detector&token=SIroo1N3 was mentioned in Jerry's writeup about the issue, but apparently it just determines if your device is vulnerable - you actually need the latest Security update to get the fix. Who knows when that will show up on this device.
It was the Google September update and we never even got the August update that LG released so we may never get it.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I really miss my Android watch. I think I will risk BlueBorne and use it again. I haven't heard any actual complaints of people whose phones were hijacked with this exploit.

I was getting a Note 8 through the Samsung deal for Note 7 owners but my cc kept flagging Sammy as fraud so deal never went through.

ScottMGS

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site

I just received the September 2017 security update and the Armis BlueBorne Vulnerability Scanner app shows it's safe now. I have a Sprint-branded V20.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I just received the September 2017 security update and the Armis BlueBorne Vulnerability Scanner app shows it's safe now. I have a Sprint-branded V20.
That's a good sign. Maybe VZW will get off their asses now and give us an update

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I contacted VZWCS and they are still lying about availability of the update. When I told them Tmobile had it the reply was Thanks for the information. Anything else we can do for you?