Pixel 2 camera app with HDR+ on V20 looks great!

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I tried the app, but may uninstall it. The HDR function isn't worlds better than the V20 app and I rarely take those anyway. If I did mostly auto/HDR stuff, then I could see keeping it on my phone. I mostly shoot manual, and nothing beats LG's manual controls.
I mostly agree with you about manual mode in every situation but very bright backlit scenes where in manual you have to choose between a properly exposed subject and blown out background or a properly exposed background and underexposed subject(of course you correct it in post by bringing up the shadows). Also Google's HDR+ has a built in preserve highlights and light sources algorithm that beautifully exposes for highlights while boosting shadows. You really have to fine tune your settings to get that kind of balance in manual but still a lot of times you have to make a decision. That is where Google really shines. My example below is the perfect example of the bright background scenario. The correct exposure for the soda bottle doesn't really change much at all from auto to HDR+ while the background does drastically.
406ff34f27b890831ac208594aed856d.jpg
31d5417c374cbe4511382eb2da18a203.jpg

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I mostly agree with you about manual mode in every situation but very bright backlit scenes where in manual you have to choose between a properly exposed subject and blown out background or a properly exposed background and underexposed subject(of course you correct it in post by bringing up the shadows). Also Google's HDR+ has a built in preserve highlights and light sources algorithm that beautifully exposes for highlights while boosting shadows. You really have to fine tune your settings to get that kind of balance in manual but still a lot of times you have to make a decision. That is where Google really shines. My example below is the perfect example of the bright background scenario. The correct exposure for the soda bottle doesn't really change much at all from auto to HDR+ while the background does drastically. //uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171217/406ff34f27b890831ac208594aed856d.jpg//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171217/31d5417c374cbe4511382eb2da18a203.jpg

The Google camera has a very intelligent auto mode. I noticed when you take a portrait photo, the image is enhanced very well and it tries to blur the background a little bit. Try taking a picture of yourself with the rear camera and then compare it with the regular LG camera. It looks great! The pictures are fine tuned very well but sometimes a little over exaggerated but honestly that's what looks good to the eye.

Also try out the lens blur mode. It's really fun and pictures look cool with the bokeh effect! Kinda tricky but you'll get the hang of it.

BrokerDadFL

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
Make sure you're clicking on the right link, it's a little tricky with these file hosting websites. You need to download the .apk file. Once downloaded, open the file via file manager and install it (must allow unknown sources option). And that's it, open the app and it should work.

It works. Thanks for your help.

It is significantly better than the "stock" camera. I take real estate pictures. This would be the one I would use.

The only thing I would like to see, is the option of storing pictures on SD cards which exists on the Stock Cam. It would be a lot more convenient, but not a big deal at all.
viber image1.jpg

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It works. Thanks for your help.

It is significantly better than the "stock" camera. I take real estate pictures. This would be the one I would use.

The only thing I would like to see, is the option of storing pictures on SD cards which exists on the Stock Cam. It would be a lot more convenient, but not a big deal at all.
View attachment 276168

Nice! I agree it indeed does take much better photos than stock on auto mode. Portrait shots indeed looks better, I believe it can detect faces and adjusts accordingly. The camera blur mode is very cool, you can get awesome bokeh effects with it!

kbagrows

Nov 5, 2017
Visit site
Thanks to the OP for this thread. Downloaded the camera app, and have been testing it - liking it very much so far. Especially since most of my photos are simply shot in auto mode. With kids, you don't have time to start fiddling with manual settings. Thanks!

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Update: the new API also allows for Portrait mode as well! This is super cool. It's like I get a little piece of the Pixel and I get to keep LG's manual mode which is the best on a smartphone. I wish I could upload the two photos it takes but haven't been able to after the last Tapatalk mobile app which now restricts the size of photos.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Update: the new API also allows for Portrait mode as well! This is super cool. It's like I get a little piece of the Pixel and I get to keep LG's manual mode which is the best on a smartphone. I wish I could upload the two photos it takes but haven't been able to after the last Tapatalk mobile app which now restricts the size of photos.
Even the AC Forums app glitches out sometimes with uploads. Use the mobile website and it'll still work. It's what I've done a couple times.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Well the update fixed it. So here's the two burst photos the second one has the portrait effect applied. 00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20180111160945429.jpg00100sPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180111160945429_COVER.jpg

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

How do I get the portrait mode? I don't see the option on the app.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
You have to go and download the new apk. I read about it on PhoneArena and instantly downloaded onto my phone. You don't have to delete the one you already have on your phone either do it's more like an update. I am definitely donating to these guys for their work. Here's the link to the page. https://www.phonearena.com/news/Google-Portrait-Mode-any-Android-phone_id101562

Thanks! There's some new options on this modded version. However, I like the picture quality better on the other one better, I didn't see any post processing from the one you showed me. I do see the portrait mode though, it's really fun to use!

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! There's some new options on this modded version. However, I like the picture quality better on the other one better, I didn't see any post processing from the one you showed me. I do see the portrait mode though, it's really fun to use!
Yep but I think it will only be improved over time. These guys have done a great job.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
What settings are Y'all using? I have a stock Verizon V20 and the app keeps crashing every time I take a picture or try to enter the settings. I've cleared the cache, uninstalled and reinstalled and still get the same issue. Perplexed. The previous version worked fine for me.

Screenshot of settings would be great.

David

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
What settings are Y'all using? I have a stock Verizon V20 and the app keeps crashing every time I take a picture or try to enter the settings. I've cleared the cache, uninstalled and reinstalled and still get the same issue. Perplexed. The previous version worked fine for me.

Screenshot of settings would be great.

David
I just followed the direction from the site but I also did make a few changes of my own. I'll update soon with the screen shots.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87