Pixel 2 camera app with HDR+ on V20 looks great!

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Downloaded the Google Pixel 2 camera APK and the pictures look better with HDR+! Nothing really substantial but the colors look much better. Below is the download link. Let me know what you think and if you notice any improvements:

[DIRECT DOWNLOAD LINK]:
www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=817550096634795524

[ORIGINAL SOURCE]:
https://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2017/09/08/hdr/

• The link above is the only version I found that worked on the V20.
• It has the blur effect so you can get that same blurred bokeh background effect like the Note 8, without the need for a "telephoto" lens.
• The selfie front facing camera quality sucks! Don't use it. Only use it for the main 16MP rear facing camera.
• Video recording is still better on the default LG camera app because it utilizes the omni-directional mics, whereas other apps only use a single mic. Plus it has manual settings and more options.
• The slo-mo mode is better on the Google camera app because it also captures the slo-mo sound, whereas the default LG camera does not.
• I find it works best when HDR is set to "AUTO", though sometimes colors can look too reddish and warm.
• Low-light looks very good and there's a bigger improvement in low-light settings.
• Apparently, it only works with Snapdragon 820, Snapdragon 821, or Snapdragon 835 SoCs.

Big thanks to the original developer for making this possible. More info about it:

"A Ukrainian developer by the name of B-S-G on the forum 4PDA has posted a modified version of Google Camera v4.4.012.156195200. This Google Camera app is the same one pulled from the third Android O Developer Preview that was released in June of this year. The developer was able to modify it to work with any device that utilizes the Hexagon 680 ISP or above, which includes those devices with the Snapdragon 820, Snapdragon 821, or Snapdragon 835 SoCs."

******09/29/2018 UPDATE: New updated version of the GCam app for the V20 is available here:

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/dev-cstark27/

I recommend the latest cstark 3.8 build versions. You can install both the regular and wide angle version at the same time.

Regular:
cstark27_GCam_5.1.018_24_v3.8.apk

Wide Angle:
cstark27_GCam_5.1.018_24_wide_v3.8.apk

Last edited:

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Downloaded the Google Pixel 2 camera APK and the pictures look better with HDR+! Nothing really substantial but the colors look much better. Below is the download link. Let me know what you think and if you notice any improvements:

https://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2017/09/08/hdr/

BTW it also has the blur effect so you can get that same blurred bokeh background like the Note 8.
Are you in the V20 pictures/video thread? I've noted the same conclusions with some references as well. This past Sunday I spent a whole night with the app in HDR+ mode and the results were just beautiful. It's a shame it's a tad slow and can't utilize the second camera though. But I really love it. Only thing missing is manual focus for when you want to get a macro of something too close for any camera app to recognize.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
No I haven't looked in that thread. There's a pretty noticable difference with Google's HDR+ versus LG's default HDR mode. I think I'm going to take more of my pictures using the Google camera app instead and use default app for the other features. Probably will be the only unofficial update we'll get for the camera.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Well what are you waiting for? That should be one of the first threads you join and contribute to if you love to take pictures. There are some great images there and I'm sure you have a ton of your own. You'll be inspired by some of the shots users have achieved with their V20. So head on over there and get to sharing. It's a great community. https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...&share_tid=736912&share_fid=4950&share_type=t

LG V20 - Camera shots! Show us your pictures

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Also I've noticed that the app is bit faster at processing the HDR pictures. Not sure if it updated but it is noticeable. Also quicker in taking the image as well.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Also I've noticed that the app is bit faster at processing the HDR pictures. Not sure if it updated but it is noticeable. Also quicker in taking the image as well.

It's true. With the stock LG camera app, there's a slight delay and it takes a second before the picture is saved. The Google camera snaps the photo instantly and saves it right away, the post processing is done in the background.

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Whats the most recent version you guys are using and what settings have you found to be optimal for the V20?

Thanks,
David

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Whats the most recent version you guys are using and what settings have you found to be optimal for the V20?

Thanks,
David

The link provided above was the only version that worked out of 5 others I've tried. Every other one refused to install. You should save it while it's still up!

Optimal settings: Just leave the defaults. The app's auto mode is really good on its own, HDR+ is on auto by default. Picture always look better than stock LG camera.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried the app, but may uninstall it. The HDR function isn't worlds better than the V20 app and I rarely take those anyway. If I did mostly auto/HDR stuff, then I could see keeping it on my phone. I mostly shoot manual, and nothing beats LG's manual controls.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I tried the app, but may uninstall it. The HDR function isn't worlds better than the V20 app and I rarely take those anyway. If I did mostly auto/HDR stuff, then I could see keeping it on my phone. I mostly shoot manual, and nothing beats LG's manual controls.

Most of the photos are automatically enhanced which is nice so you don't have to do anything. Pictures just look more pleasing to the eye. Normally I would use a app like Snapseed to boost the colors and contrast. Another thing I noticed was the camera speed was a bit faster (but focus speed still the same). The stock camera is more reliable and takes good photos still. Most manufactures do the same like Samsung, boost the color so people think it looks amazing.

sanford12

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site

I've found the HDR+ of the Pixel photo software to be a big improvement over the stock LG in auto mode HDR or otherwise. The over processed images of the stock LG software are unacceptable for me If that's what you want it's OK but I prefer a more natural appearance. Manual is not good to take that quick shot if your fooling with manual settings the shot may get away. If I want to take serious photos I'll use my Panasonic FZ-1000. A real camera is better for that.

donebrasko

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I have to agree with you there. I'm just learning and I have been enjoying both camera and video modes.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I've found the HDR+ of the Pixel photo software to be a big improvement over the stock LG in auto mode HDR or otherwise. The over processed images of the stock LG software are unacceptable for me If that's what you want it's OK but I prefer a more natural appearance. Manual is not good to take that quick shot if your fooling with manual settings the shot may get away. If I want to take serious photos I'll use my Panasonic FZ-1000. A real camera is better for that.

I also have real cameras too, but I don't really carry it around all the time (Sony A6000 + Lumix GM1). The Pixel 2 camera app actually does a lot of post processing, and it's tuned to make images stand out more. The stock LG camera app does not do much post processing so the pictures end up looking pretty dull, however a photo editing app like Snapseed can fix it. Plus, HDR on the stock app doesn't really do anything, automode on Pixel 2 camera app is outstanding.

BrokerDadFL

Dec 12, 2017
Visit site
I'm new to all this. Can someone walk me through the steps to install? Just got a V20.

I went to the link, and all I got was redirection to Google apk that led me to only Google Primer or Google Wish apps at the store.

Thanks in advance.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm new to all this. Can someone walk me through the steps to install? Just got a V20.

I went to the link, and all I got was redirection to Google apk that led me to only Google Primer or Google Wish apps at the store.

Thanks in advance.

Make sure you're clicking on the right link, it's a little tricky with these file hosting websites. You need to download the .apk file. Once downloaded, open the file via file manager and install it (must allow unknown sources option). And that's it, open the app and it should work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa