Who's excited about the V30?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure I'd call that a fact because each screen type has it advantages and disadvantages, however its clear from posts I've read over the last year and half that Amoled is the more popular choice.

I've always been a LCD fan. Never had amoled but I'm willing to nervously try lol

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The all new LG V30, by Samsung.

If they are joining the bandwagon, they may was well acknowledge their inspiration. Lol.

Ejjba

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
The all new LG V30, by Samsung.

If they are joining the bandwagon, they may was well acknowledge their inspiration. Lol.

Totally correct. My next phone whenever will be a Samsung. As I have said before my little j3 backup is great. The screen is almost as good as v20 for 100 dollars
Imho

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Totally correct. My next phone whenever will be a Samsung. As I have said before my little j3 backup is great. The screen is almost as good as v20 for 100 dollars
Imho
And I've started saying if I wanted a Samsung phone, I would've bought a Samsung phone. Lol

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Nope, not even remotely interested.

The only thing that interests me is V20 discounts the carriers will hopefully be offering.

I can't and won't argue with that logic.
The smartest consumers buy a prior model and get good deals in most cases. One of my Tech support managers at work is waiting for the iphone 8 to buy the 7 and give his kid his 6.....poor kid..

jjinal

Apr 13, 2017
Visit site
I can't and won't argue with that logic.
The smartest consumers buy a prior model and get good deals in most cases. One of my Tech support managers at work is waiting for the iphone 8 to buy the 7 and give his kid his 6.....poor kid..
Using this strategy is definitely the smartest way to buy tech, especially mobile tech. The prior model will be "new" to you since you're using the "prior prior" model. The price will be right. The bugs will be worked out. The devices not worth buying will be identified. It's hard to go wrong.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Who thinks its going to be great and already saving up their extra coins?

I think it has potential despite possibly losing a couple features. Can't wait till the end of August.

V30:
Price $699
3200 mAh battery, sealed
Only 4GB
Breakable glass back panel
No IR blaster
AMOLED screen that can burn in easily
Black borders on YouTube videos
Narrow screen, taller aspect ratio (thumbs will be tired of reaching notification bar)
13MP camera

V20:
Price: ~$230-360 (new or used)
3200 mAh REMOVABLE battery
4GB RAM
Airplane grade, lightweight durable metal back
Universal IR blaster
Screen burn-in proof IPS LCD display
Regular, wide screen aspec ratio
16MP camera

Hmm hard to be excited about that...

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Using this strategy is definitely the smartest way to buy tech, especially mobile tech. The prior model will be "new" to you since you're using the "prior prior" model. The price will be right. The bugs will be worked out. The devices not worth buying will be identified. It's hard to go wrong.

True, and you can enjoy the 50-70% price drop.

jacker

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why the belief that Samsung phones still suffer from burn in.

They don't.

Thru normal use it will not and does not suffer burn in.

Amoled screens are better and the software to prevent burn in is as well.

I had the v10 and the v20. Having gone to Amoled after that hiatus was like seeing everything new again. It was just that good.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

They don't.

I had the v10 and the v20. Having gone to Amoled after that hiatus was like seeing everything new again. It was just that good.

No, I agree, the technology has gotten better. But remind you that ONLY Samsung has SUPER AMOLED, while everyone else has the cheap AMOLED screens. Samsung will not sell that tech that makes them stand out. Do you use full brightness 100%, and use turn by turn navigation for longer than 1-2 hours? Expect a burn in. BTW using navigation for 1-3 hours a day can be considered normal use.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If the renders are correct I'm not excited at all.
I'm disliking glass back phones more and more everyday. The only thing it's good for is wireless charging. Nothing else.

I admit. It looks absolutely stunning. However, for day to day use, it's not practical. It just takes one accidental stumble and you're done. Not alone, the fingerprints and grease you constantly have to clean. Wireless charging sucks, I've tried it. You have to set it EXACTLY in the right position or it won't charge. Also, there is a huge amount of heat generated do expect your battery to die within 8 months. True story, former Samsung owner.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I admit. It looks absolutely stunning. However, for day to day use, it's not practical. It just takes one accidental stumble and you're done. Not alone, the fingerprints and grease you constantly have to clean. Wireless charging sucks, I've tried it. You have to set it EXACTLY in the right position or it won't charge. Also, there is a huge amount of heat generated do expect your battery to die within 8 months. True story, former Samsung owner.
While I'm not a fan of wireless charging my wireless charging stands required no guess work. The phone only went on one way.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

They don't.

Not everyone likes Amoled. I've had both and I don't care for the over saturated color look.