V30.... almost great - short one fatal flaw (and not the one you expected)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That is just a case of missed focus. In the first shot, the focus is on the floor.
The face was definitely the focus point, I made sure to get that set. That it may have focused on the background even though I had it specifically set on the nose is another issue.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Sure.. Here's a couple. I zoomed in a bit so you could see. The first is the V30, auto... The second is the XL.//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171024/869f03442feb89b58b0014b8385bb830.jpg
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171024/dbad095c72e0294df2470e109f10ca23.jpg

Have you tried to play with the manual mode? Not only does it allow for fine-grained control over the white balance, focus (main camera only), exposure, ISO, and shutter speed, it also gives you the option to capture photos in a DNG RAW format.

If you lower ISO to about 50, you could get away with even a 10 sec exposure and a much cleaner photo (you can keep the shutter open for about 30 secs on the V30). As for auto mode, that should be used only in broad day light. Once it gets dark you have to play with manual (there's an extensive discussion in one of the V20 threads). It's a little disturbing that people use auto mode at night or in low light and then complain about the quality of the photos.

Here's a few that were taken in low light:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/chimphappyhour/sets/72157686415549012/

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Look, I've spent a lot of time testing a lot of phones, good ones, bad ones, really bad ones. The V30 is a exceptionally good one, top to bottom. It's the best running LG branded phone I've ever used by far (I've had many) , it has a bunch of slick features and deserves all the praise it's been getting.

But it ain't perfect. None are.

We're getting to the point where these things are getting so good that the only way to evaluate them is to hammer on their flaws. And the V30's only flaw that I've run into as of yet is inside that camera. It's extremely fussy. We're at the point where you shouldn't have to say 'oh, just go into manual mode and....'. No... That's no going to fly. You can't say it'll perform with the best of them if you gotta go in and screw around with exposures and ISOs and hope it focused on what you directed it to. If I wanted to do that all the time, I'll carry around a Nikon. Plus I can download one of a few excellent camera apps that give access to all the same manual controls (and some LG didn't include) in another phone.

The vast majority of users will never touch that mode as they lean on auto modes to take the vast majority of their pictures. OEMs have to nail that. Otherwise they are just saving their own time, money and effort and making the end user finish the job.

I've had a chance to take some shots with the modified Google camera and you it does, indeed, do a better job on a simple point and shoot... So a hacked camera designed for a completely different phone does a better job than the native one. I shouldn't have to go in and click click here and click click there to avoid getting a shot that looks like Salvador Dali painted while in a bad mood. It should do that from the get go.

And they could have done it sooooo easy, that's the crazy part. I can pop the camera into manual mode, flip on the manual mode's noise reduction and take a better picture than auto. Why? Why not just use THAT programming?! Otherwise what happens is you end up with a lot of customers disappointed in the pictures because they, like my wife for example, aren't interested in fussing around with an app to get something good... Then they just turn to the phone next to it... The one that they can just pick up and snap something that's just as good as the one you took fiddling with some toggles.

I wouldn't be poking around in every nook and cranny of this phone if I thought it was junk. On the contrary, I'm trying to find a reason to keep it. But I'm not turning a blind eye to it's smelly bits.

tack_sharp

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn't hold my breath. First, LG doesn't exactly have a rich and storied history of fixing software problems, especially the longer after the launch date you are.

Second, like I mentioned, LG did this on purpose. The fact that they so greatly cut down on noise and sharpening, yet here they dialed it to 11 still, tells me that LG wants their pictures to look this way and they refuse to address it.

Shoot raw?

tack_sharp

Oct 25, 2017
Visit site
I really had high hopes from the V30. I thought the camera might have improved but they keep using tiny sensors. I really wasn't much of a cellphone camera person but after seeing what other brands could do I just had to come to grips with reality.
I know I will miss the quad DAC but they make nice small external ones that I can use with any phone.

Maybe buy a camera? Cellphone cameras are ultimately only cellphone cameras...

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The oddity here is that when everyone has moved up to 1/2.6” sensors with large pixels or larger, LG for some reason decided to shrink the sensor down to a smaller size and reduce the resolution to compensate.

I would love it if they can deliver the same great lens on a larger sensor with larger pixels on the same resolution. But that’s not the problem here because the V30’s camera is immensely capable and much improved over past LG’s in terms of software, but it’s this one point that’s the sore one for Leo there, and unfortunately, it’s one of those things that is critical.

Diehlirious

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't hold my breath. First, LG doesn't exactly have a rich and storied history of fixing software problems, especially the longer after the launch date you are.

Second, like I mentioned, LG did this on purpose. The fact that they so greatly cut down on noise and sharpening, yet here they dialed it to 11 still, tells me that LG wants their pictures to look this way and they refuse to address it.

I'm sorry to hear that. I think the perfect phone for you will be available in the near future seeing as how tech has advanced

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Look, I've spent a lot of time testing a lot of phones, good ones, bad ones, really bad ones. The V30 is a exceptionally good one, top to bottom. It's the best running LG branded phone I've ever used by far (I've had many) , it has a bunch of slick features and deserves all the praise it's been getting.

But it ain't perfect. None are.

We're getting to the point where these things are getting so good that the only way to evaluate them is to hammer on their flaws. And the V30's only flaw that I've run into as of yet is inside that camera. It's extremely fussy. We're at the point where you shouldn't have to say 'oh, just go into manual mode and....'. No... That's no going to fly. You can't say it'll perform with the best of them if you gotta go in and screw around with exposures and ISOs and hope it focused on what you directed it to. If I wanted to do that all the time, I'll carry around a Nikon. Plus I can download one of a few excellent camera apps that give access to all the same manual controls (and some LG didn't include) in another phone.

The vast majority of users will never touch that mode as they lean on auto modes to take the vast majority of their pictures. OEMs have to nail that. Otherwise they are just saving their own time, money and effort and making the end user finish the job.

I've had a chance to take some shots with the modified Google camera and you it does, indeed, do a better job on a simple point and shoot... So a hacked camera designed for a completely different phone does a better job than the native one. I shouldn't have to go in and click click here and click click there to avoid getting a shot that looks like Salvador Dali painted while in a bad mood. It should do that from the get go.

And they could have done it sooooo easy, that's the crazy part. I can pop the camera into manual mode, flip on the manual mode's noise reduction and take a better picture than auto. Why? Why not just use THAT programming?! Otherwise what happens is you end up with a lot of customers disappointed in the pictures because they, like my wife for example, aren't interested in fussing around with an app to get something good... Then they just turn to the phone next to it... The one that they can just pick up and snap something that's just as good as the one you took fiddling with some toggles.

I wouldn't be poking around in every nook and cranny of this phone if I thought it was junk. On the contrary, I'm trying to find a reason to keep it. But I'm not turning a blind eye to it's smelly bits.

I completely agree with your point. It's easier & convenient to point & shoot. Yes, some phones do it better than others, but it's all very subjective & all depends on the user's preferences. Most people would prefer to have more control over the hardware settings than having one setting to rule them all.

For those that are not comfortable with manual mode, LG included "Graphy" which is embedded in the camera software. It comes pre-loaded with a lot of professional settings for the camera.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Thank you very much.....I have thousands of dollars worth of equipment including 7 DSLRs, 30 lenses and 3 point and shoots and a video camera. Oh and I have 3 working film SLR cameras.

sydneycooper1979

Moderator Sergeant at Arms
Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Lets keep the discussion civil please. If there is a problem with a post then please report it so the Mod team can take a look.
Thanks.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well... initial testing with one of the latest modified Google Camera apks is encouraging. It doesn't screw up pics o' the runts at all... in fact, they are virtually indistinguishable from those coming out of my XL. It's only in certain scenes with a ton of dynamic range and wonky colors that the white balance gets messed up... but it's still good to see.

Granted... its not the most ideal situation.. .but it's there as an option.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
LG's software, particularly on HDR, is just flat out terrible compared to Google's HDR+ software.

I just took some identical photos with my V20, using LG camera and then Google's camera software. Both on full auto with tripod. LG's highlights are just so washed out.

Just stick with the Google camera software on the V30 and I think you will be fine. Just can't use wide angle with it, but the Pixel 2 would not have that anyways.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm a big 'right tool for the job' person so I can snatch the app I want for the usage I need.

That'd be too convoluted for my wife, but I'm fine with it.

md308

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Google camera app does take great pics. Only issue I've found is the aggressive HDR introduces too much noise in extremely low light situations for my taste.

As far as washed out highlights with the LG camera, I've found that about 90% of the time using the Google Photos "auto" edit makes them look much better.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Google camera app does take great pics. Only issue I've found is the aggressive HDR introduces too much noise in extremely low light situations for my taste.

Well, it's expecting a sensor that can handle low light better. If there is substantial noise in all the image set, there's not much it can do. Plus, there's a limit to the noise reduction HDR+ will do... If it gets too the point where it starts stomping details, it won't go any further.

md308

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Well, it's expecting a sensor that can handle low light better. If there is substantial noise in all the image set, there's not much it can do. Plus, there's a limit to the noise reduction HDR+ will do... If it gets too the point where it starts stomping details, it won't go any further.

*sigh * we've been through this before, and I even provided examples (and others on the pic thread) of it's low light capabilities, but you're mind's made up, so I wave my white flag. Good day, sir.