Who still uses the LG V30?

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Hello. I purchased the LG V30 in early June of last year and have been using it until recently when I upgraded to the S9 Plus. I have a certain amount of time until I can return my new phone and honestly, I'm not so sure its a worth while upgrade. All that being said, who else is refusing to upgrade their V30 and keep it til it dies? I might be doing that as well.

A few things I really enjoy about the V30 that really stick out over the S9 Plus for me:

1. - The design. I really enjoy the physical design of this phone. It's a lot more comfortable to hold in the hand and more pleasant to look at IMO.

2. The battery life. Man oh man, the battery on the LG V30 is a amazing. Granted, I wouldn't keep it on full brightness. Usually like 80%, but the battery literally lasted all day. From 5AM til 1030 PM when I go to bed.

3. LG's UI - I must be one of the only ones who's more of a fan of LG's android skins and user interface compared to Samsungs. There doesn't seem to be as much bloatware and it seems less cluttered IMO.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Yes I'm loving the V30 still but I have my sights set on the P30 Pro. But that's no knock against this phone because it has so many positives going for it. The battery life is a beast and Huawei is one of the few manufacturers who can match that. I absolutely love the design so much so that I only use a case to use with my magic mount which I have the magnet on the case. Really no complaints about it and I would be just fine keeping it if I don't upgrade to the P30 Pro like I plan to. I absolutely love LG's manual mode over everything else on the market right now as well. Huawei has a robust manual mode as well but nothing is as well laid out as LG's interpretation and Huawei doesn't off the same controls in video so I'll have to rely on Moment or Filmic Pro for those tasks. If you keep the phone I don't think you'll have any regrets unless you're a selfie lover.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Also the mics on the V series of phones are so good they can be used as a stand alone recorder for different scenarios and leave you with something useful. I have never been able to say that about other devices. I use the HiFi recorder app all the time.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
My main issue with the V30 as well as the other LG device I had, the LG G6, is they are both really glitchy and buggy. The G6 is actually the worst phone I have ever used. Other than that, it's a pretty solid device. I have a much better track record with Samsung devices being more stable and working for 2-3 years with no issues. I had the GS5 for two years and it was the best device I've ever used.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to the annoying, extremely curved edges of the S9+ though.

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Wait for the V50 to come out.
The price of the V40 may drop a little more. It's already dropped.

Unless you need the 5 cameras now.

I have the V40 and the V20. I upgraded from the S8+ to the V40. I really should have waited until the price dropped but I traded in the S8+ to get the trade in amount.

Don't get me wrong, the V40 is a spectacular phone and a keeper for a long time. It's been so fast for me. I love the Quad dac (as in the V20). Plus, I have T-Mobile and wanted the band 71, which the S8+ did not have

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Not a bad deal if you don't mind the battery life which seems the most glaring con to me in the V40.

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
Not a bad deal if you don't mind the battery life which seems the most glaring con to me in the V40.

Yeah thats a deal breaker. The V30 is the king of battery life IMO. I only very rarely had to charge it more than once a day.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Yeah thats a deal breaker. The V30 is the king of battery life IMO. I only very rarely had to charge it more than once a day.
Similar experience. I can say I was actually surprised when the battery suddenly spiked in the wrong direction cause it just didn't happen much. This is one of the only phones I've had where that was the case.

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
My main issue with the V30 as well as the other LG device I had, the LG G6, is they are both really glitchy and buggy. The G6 is actually the worst phone I have ever used. Other than that, it's a pretty solid device. I have a much better track record with Samsung devices being more stable and working for 2-3 years with no issues. I had the GS5 for two years and it was the best device I've ever used.

I'm having a hard time adjusting to the annoying, extremely curved edges of the S9+ though.

I agree with you about the curved edges on the Galaxy phones. I had the S7 Edge and really grew to hate the curved edges.

I don't know about the G6, but the V30 has been very stable for me. After a about 14 months, I did have to do a factory reset to clear up an issue with apps not updating, but the last Samsung phone I had need to be restarted weekly (battery drain issues), and reset every couple of months, so LG gets a gold star from me.

I still haven't found a phone which makes me want to give up my V30. I almost got the OnePlus 6t, but decided to hold off. Now I'm seriously thinking about the OP7 (If the spec rumors hold true).

gray2018

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
I would love to get the Oneplus 6T, but not being water resistant is also a deal breaker for me. Seems like a great phone for the price with all the hardware and top of the line specs. I think I will more than likely just check out the V50 when its out and at a good price. Supposedly its going to have a 4000 Mah battery.

Last edited:

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I would love to get the Oneplus 6T, but not being water resistant is also a deal breaker for me. Seems like a great phone for the price with all the hardware and top of the line specs. I think I will more than likely just check out the V50 when its out and at a good price. Supposedly its going to have a 4000 Mah battery.

The thing OnePlus is missing that will be most painful for me is wireless charging. I have never dropped my phone in water (JINX). I'd rather have the pop out front camera and no notch than a notch at the top, even if that comes at the cost of water resistance.

The current rumor on the OP7 is for a 4150mAh battery. If it is 4000+ i'm all in.

dookie.

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
18mos or so with one and I still love it. Completely agree on #1 & 2, use Nova for #3 .

I would add...great screen, great design, lousy camera.

I have no desire to replace mine, and eagerly await the Pie release.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
18mos or so with one and I still love it. Completely agree on #1 & 2, use Nova for #3 .

I would add...great screen, great design, lousy camera.

I have no desire to replace mine, and eagerly await the Pie release.
Whoa, lousy camera? Not the best but no slouch especially if you get your hands on manual mode which is where I spend 90% of my time.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Got my V30 back in Oct(?) 2017 after my LG G4 boot-looped.
Great battery life, nice screen, love the DAC sound system.
Stayed with the LG family as I like their UI over the stories I hear about Samsung UI.
While the camera is not the greatest, it certainly gets the job done with no complaints, especially in manual mode.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
No fancy night modes. Just good old fashioned OIS at work in manual. I usually edit from RAW before sharing but these are the JPEGs unedited.
00771dd6bd4bb690102c7921bc8c9c50.jpg
ff74a3675ca135e212737e5a0a104db2.jpg
14d1d3da4d601e83d3cfbdeb45f1a89d.jpg
c60eb34946d01f66574f0d4b501d12f4.jpg
61766fa808c26f42e11a635ad9382bd9.jpg
76b642aadef7ec7c9c1b656ab5ccf1fa.jpg

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Still with V30. Was going to wait for V50 but Idk now as it's not much of an upgrade from V40. Got my fiancée a V40 for Christmas.

I like her 4k60fps video, but I think I like my bring able to go from main to wide during video recording. LG wide angle is be coming less and less wide with each new phone too. I hope LG wises up and chooses the wide angle and main cameras to be able to both be used in the same video.

gustav30

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
I am with the V30 still and dig it. I don't think I could get used to the notch on v40 or V50...

Question: if you turn the notch off on the V40 what is the screen size? Does it compare to the V30? From what I can see spec wise they are about the exact same width, just that the V40 is taller.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty