Working GCam apk for LG V40 (download links)

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Thank you!

Have you compared the gcam to the stock LG photos? Any huge difference?

This GCam is based on an old build.. you have to tweak the settings to make it look good. The new builds aren't working properly on the V40. Honestly, the default LG camera app is already good.. plus it has the low light mode so it's better for low light. Honestly, you would get better results using the stock LG camera and then just use Snapseed to edit and enhance the photo manually. Just wait until the Pixel 3 GCam gets ported over...

joewoo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
This GCam is based on an old build.. you have to tweak the settings to make it look good. The new builds aren't working properly on the V40. Honestly, the default LG camera app is already good.. plus it has the low light mode so it's better for low light. Honestly, you would get better results using the stock LG camera and then just use Snapseed to edit and enhance the photo manually. Just wait until the Pixel 3 GCam gets ported over...

No the best results come from shooting raw and convert to jpeg yourself..

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site

Ah ok. I haven't been keeping track of the gcam builds.

I haven't even used the stock camera on the v40 much yet.

I still have a gcam build on my v20 so I will still be using that once in a while

Blown 89

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Thank you!

Have you compared the gcam to the stock LG photos? Any huge difference?
I didn't notice a huge difference in the HDR processing handling blown out highlights etc but there is a massive difference in detail. Below is a 100% crop of a photo I took of my son tonight.
LG's native APP. Auto mode, HDR on auto. It's been my experience with the V30 that turning HDR off doesn't solve this20181109_202625.jpg

Here's the Gcam port:
IMG_20181109_202641.jpg

I saw the same results with the V30. That's a huge difference. This is my main gripe with these amateur hour phone reviews. They all take photos of buildings, flowers, etc, etc and hide behind the excuse that you need to test dynamic range in controlled conditions blah blah blah. The results don't look that drastic in these reviews then you get the phone home and your photos look like that.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I didn't notice a huge difference in the HDR processing handling blown out highlights etc but there is a massive difference in detail. Below is a 100% crop of a photo I took of my son tonight.
LG's native APP. Auto mode, HDR on auto. It's been my experience with the V30 that turning HDR off doesn't solve thisView attachment 293850

Here's the Gcam port:
View attachment 293851

I saw the same results with the V30. That's a huge difference. This is my main gripe with these amateur hour phone reviews. They all take photos of buildings, flowers, etc, etc and hide behind the excuse that you need to test dynamic range in controlled conditions blah blah blah. The results don't look that drastic in these reviews then you get the phone home and your photos look like that.

You can achieve the same results editing with Snapseed too

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Regular:

defcomg-fix_OP6v0.3_MGC_5.1.018_FINAL_3.4A.apk

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/...efcomg-fix_OP6v0.3_MGC_5.1.018_FINAL_3.4A.apk

Wide:

defcomg-fix_OP6_MGC_FINAL_3.4A_WIDE.apk

https://www.celsoazevedo.com/files/android/google-camera/f/defcomg-fix_OP6_MGC_FINAL_3.4A_WIDE.apk

Let me know if it works on your V40.. it works fine on my T-Mobile variant LG V40. Thanks to Reddit users that helped search for the one that was working and compatible.

Did you ever wonder why LG just doesn't improve their own software?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Did you ever wonder why LG just doesn't improve their own software?

They did release an update on the camera and it looked much better than the original one. There's a before and after comparison and they did fix it. If you first setup your phone, they will install the update automatically so it will come with a good camera software.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Snapseed isn't going to bring back the details LG's noise reduction destroys unless I shoot it in Raw, which really defeats the point of point and shoot on a phone.

So far, I'm getting better photos on the stock LG camera than the GCam from above.. not sure why but maybe because that GCam was not designed for the camera sensor on the V40. The stock LG camera also has lowlight mode so it looks better in low light. However, the GCam on the V20 looks amazing still.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
LG's native APP. Auto mode, HDR on auto. It's been my experience with the V30 that turning HDR off doesn't solve thisView attachment 293850

Here's the Gcam port:
View attachment 293851

What am I missing here? I don't really see a difference.

Fred98TJ

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
What am I missing here? I don't really see a difference.

Really ? You must be using something with a tiny screen. Zoom in a little then and look at the hair on top of his head. Much more detail in the gcam photo. The native app smeared much of the detail away.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Really ? You must be using something with a tiny screen. Zoom in a little then and look at the hair on top of his head. Much more detail in the gcam photo. The native app smeared much of the detail away.
Yeah, I'm using a pixel 2 lol. Tiny screen champ. Can't wait to get something bigger.

Ok, I see there's more detail there. Guess I just wasn't looking that close because nothing else jumped out at me.

Greymire

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
So far, I'm getting better photos on the stock LG camera than the GCam from above.. not sure why but maybe because that GCam was not designed for the camera sensor on the V40. The stock LG camera also has lowlight mode so it looks better in low light. However, the GCam on the V20 looks amazing still.
Same here by far. I removed the above. Maybe once we get Pie and the pie version of the camera is hacked it will be better

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress