Your Top 5 Android Applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Android_IPA

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
My current faves ...

First post. My current faves are:

Handcent SMS - The way all text messaging clients should be.

Quick Battery - Great details and allows you to have its icon launch any app you choose. I believe it uses less battery than all other battery widgets I've tried.

Volume Control - Lets me have three pre-set profiles that control all things volume-related on the phone. I have one for "Loud," "Vibrate" and "Sleep." Simply touch one and it loads up everything for you.

AppBrain - Easy to use substitute for the Market.

Pandora - The best music app for lazy people who don't want to go through the effort of making their own library.

Apps Organizer - Lets me bundle related apps into a single file. It also lets you place icons on your home screen for each bundle. I have one each for "Games," "Multimedia," "Tools" and "Other Apps."

NFL Mobile - If you're into football, it's a must-have.

My Tracks - Great way to know all about your hikes, trail runs, etc. Shares well, too.

Caffeine - Keeps your home screen lit no matter the phone's status. Excellent for night time when you don't have (or want) a dock. Very cool icon as a bonus.

Launcher Pro - Allows all the customization without all the bloat.

Last edited:
Reactions: A1C

jsjs1980

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
Hmm a few gems I've uncovered would be:

1. USA Today.
Keeps me updated and it's so easy to read!

2. EasyMoney.
I think people usually overlook the importance of tracking their finances.
I was at one point of a time spending so much because I didn't keep track of my expenditure. With EasyMoney I saved a lot and stop spending on redundant stuff and no more late credit card payments!

3. Slide Puzzle.
Good time killer and keeps me awake!

I totally agree with you. EasyMoney is really useful and a very good app!

cocochannelle

Sep 8, 2010
Visit site
the ones I use the most
- PlayerPro: BEST Music Player
- Seesmic: BEST Twitter
- Handcent SMS: Great SMS client
- Skyfire and Xcope lite: Internet browsers
- eBuddy: great im client

lterry913

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
"quick settings" also lets yo toggle gps at any time from any app so you dont have to stop what you are doing..slide down notification bar and all settings are at your fingertips.

s_franchise

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
1. Beautiful Widgets
2. Pandora
3. Launcher pro+
4. THN
5. AppBrain

I've been looking for a really good hockey news app, but THN seems to be the only one i can really use. anyone know of a good one aside from that?

sanibel

Sep 16, 2010
Visit site
My Top 5:
Free411 (Yellow pages GPS; finding coffee shops via GPS anywhere: what a treat :)) ~ this is similar to Beyond411 for the Blackberry.
MailDroid
Shazam (my all-time favorite!)
Swift Contacts
DajaOffice (Outlook>>Android sync)

Others worth kudos:
Beautiful Widgets
Barcode Scanner
Advanced Task Killer
Car Finder AR
Flight View
Hapi Podcast (my fav podcast app)
Ringo Lite (fantastic!)
Swift Key (and you can talk instead of type!)
Smooth Calendar (homescreen widget: love it!)
Compass (enough looking for the north-star on cloudy days; GPS locations, directions, etc.)

Last edited:
Reactions: packerbacker

DougB541#CB

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Obviously to attract people to his blog. But to everyone else!:

Top 20 Favorite Android Applications ? Victor's Blog
1. Astro File Manager by Metago: Rated by many websites as the best file manager available for Android, Astro allows you to manage files on your SD Card. You can execute functions such as copy, delete, move or rename; send files as attachments or manage running applications. Modules are available to Bluetooth OBEX FTP and SMB (Windows) networking features.
2. Compass by Catch.com: Displays a compass, location and geo-tagged notes.
3. Congress by Sunlight Foundation: Everything you ever wanted to know about Congress. Find your representatives using your location, get their contact information, see how they vote, follow bills through the process and read the newest laws.
4. Dial Zero by Next Mobile Web: Tired of wading through endless interactive voice prompts when trying to reach a real person in customer service? Not anymore!. Dial Zero provides direct customer service numbers to over 600 companies.
5. DroidLight: A flashlight app from Motorola that allows you to turn the camera?s LED flash on and off like a flashlight. The Droid X?s twin LEDs are very bright. The flashlight app helps you to easily find the keyhole in the dark.
6. Google Goggles by Google Inc.: This is an amazing app that you need to use to believe! Take a picture of an object with your cell phone, Goggles attempts to recognize the object and return relevant search results.
7. Google Shopper by Google Inc.: Shopper uses the camera to recognize cover art, barcodes and can perform voice and text searches to find local and online prices, reviews, specs and more.
8. Google Sky Map by Google Inc.: Turns your Android based phone into a mobile planetarium. Hold the phone up to the sky and it uses your location to display the constellations you are seeing.
9. Google Translate by Google Inc.: Instantly translate text between 50 languages. Can use speech to text for recording and text to speech for playback.
10. Handcent SMS by handcent_admin: Full featured SMS/MMS replacement app for Android phones. Overcomes the weaknesses of the built-in app. Includes group sending options.
11. Key Ring by Mobestream Media: Tired of all the little membership reward cards cluttering your key ring? Scan them into this app and make room in your pocket. Display the barcode on your phone at checkout and have the clerk scan the phone instead. I?m still on the fence about this one. I?ve used this at two different stores and the scanner was unable to read the barcode on the phone. presumably due to the reflective nature of the phone.
12. Kindle Book Reader: Free app from Amazon.com that is preloaded on the Droid X. I was pleasantly surprised to see there are over 3,000 free books available for the Kindle Reade, most of them classics and all either in the public domain or offered free by their authors.
13. KJV BibleReader by Olive Tree: Nary a day goes by where I don?t do at least some devotional reading. The Olive Tree KJV BibleReader is a free download and includes the King James Version. Makes searching for specific passages easy. Tap ?Library? to browse the store and download many free books and study guides.
14. Lookout Mobile Security by Lookout, Inc.: Provides antivirus, system backup and phone finder features for free. The phone finder is really cool. If the phone is lost of stolen, you can locate it on the map. If you?ve misplaced the phone around the house as I often do, you can send a blaring siren signal to the phone. Siren works even if the phone is silenced.
15. Mileage by Evan Charlton: A very simple app, Mileage lets you track your vehicle?s fuel consumption history and calculates lots of useful stats.
16. Note Everything by SoftXPerience: This is the most comprehensive note taking application I?ve found for Android. Create Textnotes, Paintnotes, Voicenotes, Photonotes, Checklists, Durable Checklists (ToDo lists), Gallerynotes, Notes from barcodes, Reminders or Notes from Google docs. Stick notes to the status bar and automatically back them up on the SD Card. Great support and frequent updates.
17. Ringdroid by Ringdroid Team: Creates ringtones from your own music tracks or record a new one directly from the phone.
18. Scanner Radio by Gordon Edwards: As a former professional paramedic, I still enjoy listening to emergency calls from time to time. Scanner Radio allows us to listen to live emergency audio from over 2,300 police and fire scanners, railroad communications and weather radio broadcasts from around the world.
19. Shop Savvy by Big in Japan, Inc.: If there?s only one shopping application for you to get, this is the one. Shop Savvy uses your location to comparison shop products in your area or online. Supports QR Codes.
20. TuneWiki Social Media Player by TuneWiki: Shows subtitled lyrics as you listen to music, watch music videos, or stream songs through SHOUTcast radio. Integrates with Facebook and Twitter.

Reactions: Addie_Goodvibes

Addie_Goodvibes

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Below are some of my personal App recommendations, Most are free that have more functions in full paid versions. These Apps will really bring out the functionality in your new Android.

SMS App: Handcent: Hands down the Best most feature rich SMS app
Media Player: there are many I like Meridian & Mixzing they support swipe to advance tracks. meridian seems to be more feature rich.
Other Media Apps: Pandora, Mvideo player, iHeartradio, Doggcatcher podcatcher, Google Listen podcatcher. Seesmic: feature rich free twitter client
Good games:
Angry Birds.. Fling vengeful birds at greedy swine
The Moron test buy .99 full version well worth it, keep you busy and get lots of laughs.
Talking Tom: repeats what you say in a funny voice, Much like iPhones "Talking Karl"
Bonsai Blast
paper toss
Reversi othello like game, logic and thinking..
Other non Game fun Apps:
The Swartz; Star wars light sabers...
Google SkyMap: point it up at the sky and it maps out stars and constellations.. my kids love this one.
Kids paint finger paint on the phone and new works of art as .jpeg to share.
App Killer:
stock task killer As Some have already mentioned (Long press on Home key)
Camera App:
Picsay my favorite photo editing apps

Productivity Utilities:
RingDroid: Ringtone app create and edit your own ringtones
Smart Measure: Measures distance bubble, height..
ConvertPad: Unit converter
Google talk: should already be installed
Google Shopper ,
Shop Savvy: can do research by scanning Barcodes, also enables QR code reading.
Barcode scanner QR code reader and barcode scanner
Wikitude: Augmented reality App.
Layard: another augmented reality App
DropBox: view files from any remote PC on your mobile
Quadrant standard: speed and graphics test on your phone
Shootme: enables screen shot capture
Connect Bot: Terminal emulator
Astro file manager is nice.. but i find stock file manager works just as good.

And one of the best for last.
Launcher pro replaces stock TouchWiz. I downloaded this so I could change the default docked icons.

Last edited:

vfontjr

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
My Mistake

Why wouldn't you just put it in here instead of making people go to another site (which just so happens to be blocked by my work)?

That was my mistake and I'm sorry I did it that way considering I'm a newcomer here. I answer a lot of questions in quite a few forums. When I write about non-question specific topics, I generally post in my blog and include a link instead of reposting the same article over and over again in various forums. I guess I was a little too anxious this morning and didn't think things through. Again, I'm sorry if I troubled anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty