No data on Verizon postpaid sim

danielson2047

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Howdy folks. Picked up a Moto E verizon prepaid. Stuck the postpaid sim from my nexus 6 in, got her booted up and set up, but now i have no data signal. I have signal bars, and my lockscreen says verizon wireless so i know the sim is working, but i have an exclamation point instead of a data signal. thoughts? Maybe a factory reset? I booted the phone only with my postpaid sim, never with the one that came with as i heard this can cause issues. Thanks!

NucleBAH

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Do you have mobile data off? If you do it will only show the 📶! As opposed to LTE or whatever

Posted via the Android Central App

1901Madison

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Howdy folks. Picked up a Moto E verizon prepaid. Stuck the postpaid sim from my nexus 6 in, got her booted up and set up, but now i have no data signal. I have signal bars, and my lockscreen says verizon wireless so i know the sim is working, but i have an exclamation point instead of a data signal. thoughts? Maybe a factory reset? I booted the phone only with my postpaid sim, never with the one that came with as i heard this can cause issues. Thanks!

Were you ever able to figure this out? I've been wondering whether a prepaid Moto E can work on Verizon postpaid.

bubbarob1978

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Were you ever able to figure this out? I've been wondering whether a prepaid Moto E can work on Verizon postpaid.

It will work on postpaid. I have one as a backup. Put your post-paid sim in and off you go. Moto E requires a micro size SIM card.

*** Make absolute sure you remove the prepaid sim before you ever power on the phone for the first time or it'll cause issues. ***

asbarrett

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm doing this right now. Verizon won't let you access postpaid anything on a prepaid phone unless you activate one month of prepaid service on the device. So, sign up for the cheapo 30 dollar WiFi data only plan, and like magic, your post paid SIM will suddenly work.

bubbarob1978

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
I'm doing this right now. Verizon won't let you access postpaid anything on a prepaid phone unless you activate one month of prepaid service on the device. So, sign up for the cheapo 30 dollar WiFi data only plan, and like magic, your post paid SIM will suddenly work.

Unless something has changed since last June this is not the case.

If you are currently a postpaid customer you can go buy any Verizon prepaid 4G phone from a Costco, Best Buy, Walmart etc and put your post paid sim in it and it will work fine. The trick as I stated before is to never, ever power on the phone until you swap sims. And it has to be a 4G phone.

But if you mean that you can't go to Verizon directly and get a prepaid phone to do this, that is correct because Verizon won't let you leave the store until it's activated. That's why you buy from one of the stores I stated above.

I have done this twice, once with an LG Transpyre from Walmart and the Moto E 4G from Best Buy.

Hope that helps.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Unless something has changed since last June this is not the case.

If you are currently a postpaid customer you can go buy any Verizon prepaid 4G phone from a Costco, Best Buy, Walmart etc and put your post paid sim in it and it will work fine. The trick as I stated before is to never, ever power on the phone until you swap sims. And it has to be a 4G phone.

But if you mean that you can't go to Verizon directly and get a prepaid phone to do this, that is correct because Verizon won't let you leave the store until it's activated. That's why you buy from one of the stores I stated above.

I have done this twice, once with an LG Transpyre from Walmart and the Moto E 4G from Best Buy.

Hope that helps.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=638505

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

bubbarob1978

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Well there you have it. Something has changed. Guess Verizon was sick of losing money when people caught on they could get a decent replacement phone or hold me over phone if they lost or damaged their main phone. Still worth it to pay the $30 or whatever it is to save a ton on having to buy a full price replacement.