PC won't detect Moto when MTP is selected (Cannot view/transfer phone files)

Insane225

Jun 26, 2018
Visit site
I just purchased a new Moto (Android) and I'd like to alter/copy/transfer some files between PC & my phone. When I plug my phone into the PC, the PC makes the USB Plugged In Sound (I'll call it "UPS" for plugged in sound -- or "UUS" for Unplugged from PC sound for the duration of this post).
When my phone plugs into the PC it automatically starts off in "Charge Only" mode. When I pull down my notification bar and change my phone to the MTP mode my PC makes the UUS sound. However, if I pull down my notification bar and choose "Transfer Photos (PTP)" or "Use device as MIDI", the first time it installed driver software to my PC and now every time I choose them I can access my phone. However, I need to select "Transfer files" but like I said, it just makes the UUS sound and never installed a driver for my phone so I can't access. Can you help me?
Thank you.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
In MTP mode, the phone acts as an external USB drive, so the PC doesn't need any driver. You should see the phone's model number or Motorola in the left column of Windows Explorer (above the drive(s)). Or go to This PC and you'll see the phone in the right panel in Devices and Drives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa