Moto G and USB cables (charging & data)....some don't work?

sam1778

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys...was wondering if anyone who owns a Moto G can tell me if their phone does not always connect to their PC (in USB connectivity mode) or simply does NOT charge using certain micro-USB cables?

Anyone find they have an issue with a certain charger or cable that does not want the Moto G to charge or connect to PC??

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

Mahesh Naikare

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Thank you Swati for sharing the info.

I was so frustrated for not finding usb connectivity option for my MOTO E.

i tried debugging also but it was not at all useful. Thank you one again for info.

BluesCam

Aug 24, 2014
Visit site
I didn't receive a USB cable with my Moto G, just a wall charger. Anyway, I have tried to use a cable I had with no luck. The PC sees the phone as a
portable device and I can see the folders and copy FROM them, but I cannot copy to them. It fails. I had no trouble using wifi to transfer. Sometimes, as mentioned, it drained the battery. I guess I will have to get another cable and try again or just do wifi with software.

Ryan Veigas

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys even I'm facing the same problem with my moto g. The only temporary solution is to restart the phone whenever it never gets detected on the laptop/PC, following which connectivity is successful for the time being.. I've brought this to the notice of moto xperts on the Motorola web forum, and have been asked to hand in the handset into a service centre which I didn't as I needed the phone during my examinations. I'll be handing it in to them soon and update y'all what happens.. In the meanwhile I suggest that others voice this issue together on the Motorola owners forum PLEASE.

Posted via Android Central App

Ryan Veigas

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Btw the cable that I've been using is a BlackBerry USB cable, which works pretty smoothly for connecting any other device to the pc, with the exception of the moto g. So its clearly not the cable's fault.

LelaPin

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
It STILL may be the cable's fault! I have a new MOTO G 4g LTE (Unlocked US GSM )version bought 2 months ago. My phone came supplied with a white USB cable that I never used (part # SKN6447A) because I have lots of micro USB cables and saw no need to use the supplied cable. I've been able to charge my phone with no problem using a wall AC adapter with ANY of my cables, generic eBay ones, my Samsung one, and a 4 year old Motorola branded cable. I never noticed that using any of my cables to transfer pictures to my laptop, that the phone was NOT charging until yesterday. It would not charge even with my 4 yr old OEM Motorola cable.

all of my cables have worked with my HTC & older Motorola Triumph phone, so I know the cables work for charging AND they had been for transferring data between the phones & the computer. My MOTO G, however would not charge while connected to my computer. So today, I opened the USB cable that was supplied with my MOTO G and lo and behold, it works perfectly, that is, it both charges and allow data transfer while connected to the computer

So, for my experience, even if your can connect your cables to OTHER devices that doesn't mean that it's not a cable issue. So far, ONLY the supplied MOTO G cable allows me to both transfer and charge at the same time.

BTW, my phone did not come supplied with a wall charger, only the cable. Some of my other cables woud re-boot the phone whenever I connected it the computer but never rebooted when plugged into a wall charger and I use 4 different wall chargers randomly depending on what my hand touches first in my box of chargers (Moto, Samsung, Panasonic, & aftermarket chargers) .

Bottom line, for me, the cable does matter. Cables that worked with other phones don't work with my Moto G. The supplied Moto G cables works for both charging & data syncing. As we say here in the US, your mileage may vary.

Ryan Veigas

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Its kinda strange, they only give the USB cable with the phone in the US & only a charger with the phone in India. Why don't they give both?

Midhat Un Nisa

Sep 6, 2014
Visit site
My Moto G was shipped with only a wall charger. It was charging fine with both the charger and my Samsung cable. Then my charger stopped working. I had to resort to data cable charging but that, too, stopped working out. I noticed if my phone is not in use and I connect it to the laptop, it starts charging. The moment I start using it, it stops charging and I get the "USB device not recognized" message in my notifications area.Then I lock my screen, disconnect and reconnect the cable, and it begins to charge.
But I'm not able to transfer data like I used to. I'm using Google drive to do that :(

rdx711

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I didn't receive a USB cable with my Moto G, just a wall charger. Anyway, I have tried to use a cable I had with no luck. The PC sees the phone as a
portable device and I can see the folders and copy FROM them, but I cannot copy to them. It fails. I had no trouble using wifi to transfer. Sometimes, as mentioned, it drained the battery. I guess I will have to get another cable and try again or just do wifi with software.

I had the same problem. Phone to PC was possible but PC to phone was not possible. I had a chat with Motoroloa support and after trying out the steps they mentioned, it still didn't work. On the other hand it made it worse. Now I was not even able to view the contents of the phone on PC. It just crashed my file browser every time I connected.

Now, I was connecting the phone to the front USB port. So I switched to the USB port on the back of the PC cabinet (which are directly connected to the motherboard). Then my USB drive went out. Out of three partitions 2 went blank and the PC was asking to format them to start using them. I was worried because I had around 200 GB of data (mostly movies & backups) on those partitions. However, I disconnected the USB drive and connected the Moto G (2nd generation) phone. AND IT WORKED.

Later, I again tried connecting to the front USB ports and it still didn't work. I reconnected the USB drive and all 3 partitions were visible and OK; no data had been lost.

My conclusion is that Moto G 2 requires more power from the USB ports which some PCs / laptops / ports are not able to provide.

P. S.:
1. I had earlier tried connecting on Windows XP but it did not install the drivers automatically, and I know that Android doesn't support Windows XP, so I just installed Windows 7 on dual boot.
2. I am using a generic USB cable purchased in 2008. I did not receive any cable in box (in India). Neither do I have any other cable to try out.

prasadnkp

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

Mine is MOTO G first generation, i am facing problem while charging through SAMSUNG Galaxy Data Cable in office for desktop. But the same cable working fine in my room for Laptop.

Can any one please help me out here.

Thanks...

Mark Kieffer

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
My USB cable was plugged into my desktop and I have used it as a charger for months. I went to charge it but it said connect charger while USB was plugged in. I tried all the options on this site and nothing worked. I unplugged the USB from my PC and plugged it in to a different USB port on my PC and it began to charge.

Paco Perea

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
hi. i found kinda a solution with the "charge only" cables on MOTO G... lock the phone and conect it to a wall charger/usb port. this will only works if there are some juice still in the battery. IF the phone shuts off becouse the battery is drain, then the "charge only" cable wont work and you will need a data/charge one.

Puneet123456

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
First Enable Developer Mode in your moto g

Then In the settings search for Developer Option,

Then Click on the option and select USB Debugging

Enjoy

Somashekar Hombaiah

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site
settings>storage>> : (settings of storage) >> usb computer connection >> mtp (check the 1st option)

This is posted by Swathi. It works.

There is a catch on this as well. Not all the data cable work. Only few work on Moto G2.

jmscnny

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
'Many USB ports especially on laptops are not powered'
Really.
Name one.
Any one.
--------
weird forum.
My reply ended up as a general post instead of being directed to the ***** it was aimed at.
Can't be stuffed sorting it out.
Anyways.
Tap Settings.
Tap About phone.
Tap the Build number field 7 times.
You will begin seeing a message as you approach the 7 taps.
Tap the back arrow once completed, and developer options will now appear under Settings.
Enter Developer Mode.
Enable USB Debugging.
And you are done.
Be careful what stranger you listen to.

Last edited:

degoh

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
Hi! I recently purchased a used pc and at first at thought it was the pc not detecting moto sp, but after a few ts steps and some hrs spent researching for the problem I thought, maybe I should try a different USB cable and that's when I noticed it was the cable, but then I thought; this cable came with the sp and its new so how is this possible, and that my friend is how I got here. I'm guessing it is like someone said that some cables are only for charging because that's all it does. I can't believe they don't tell ppl that, could've saved me lot of time.

Desiree36

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
"If you are having problems connecting your MotoG to the computer, try a different cable - preferably the one that came in the box."

I bought a moto G 3, and the charger that came in the box was just a wall charger with no detatchable USB end, and I bought a sync cable from Walmart- still nothing. Do you guys mean you actually got a USB cable with your phones?