PC can't access Moto G files

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Attempted solution proposed by "acejavelin 01-07-2016."
I can go to settings, Apps, but cannot find -Show system Apps or External storage and Media storage.
If I were to find them and "clear data and cache on each one and reboot" as suggested, then would I loose data on SD?
I am afraid that I do not understand - MTP, PTP. (I am a humble phone user, not an app developer!)
Should I revert to Lollipop?
Cheers
After you have gone to Settings -> Apps, tap the 3 dots in the upper right corner, then select Show system, after that External Storage and Media Storage should be in the list. After you tap into the app, tap the Storage line, you will see the Clear Data and Clear Cache buttons.

MTP, PTP, and charge only mode are not complicated terms... MTP means "Media Transfer Protocol", in this mode your device is treated as a Media Device (iPod/MP3 player type device) which allows you to access the files, PTP is "Picture Transfer Protocol" which basically makes the phone look like a digital camera to the computer.

Android USB Connections Explained: MTP, PTP, and USB Mass Storage

Oh, and "reverting" to Lollipop is not that cut and dry, you will have to flash an old version of the ROM, and no offense here, but if you don't understand these concepts clearly, I would be very concerned about recommending you to attempt to downgrade.

Pollenita

Apr 14, 2016
Visit site
So my phone has lost it's mind and I just want to grab my media before I factory restart but I have no drop down menu to tell the damn phone to share the data because well my home button and drop down menu no longer work at all for some messed up reason. This phone is garbage and now I need my data but I cannot get it.

marrog

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Not for me, it doesn't!

I have been selecting mtp. I have even gone through the laborious cache/data clearing steps outlined in other posts. I still only have one menu appearing on explorer: that for my phone's internal storage.

The phone tells me in settings / storage & USB that my SD card is there ( and that 44.05 MB of its available 29.68 GB is used - I'm not sure what for, since I can't access it and it's brand new-)

skellyrm

Apr 28, 2016
Visit site
EXACTLY!!! Seriously, I hate this phone! After the marshmallow update, My notification bar wont slide down with options. The home button does not function properly and I can not transfer files from my phone to my PC. The Biggest problem though is not being able to receive incoming calls. After an hour at T-Mobile they said it was the Phone and not their service. It's been a complete NIGHTMARE!!! Today I cant even transfer vacation pictures.

Android is also to blame but there should have been a patch.

Motorola said they would send me a new Moto G3 for 24.99 through the mail.

That's about all they can do and after the problems I have had I can't wait to pay, then craigslist the new phone and buy something better.

I have never been this unhappy about a phone! Even the supposed camera quality is nothing short of disappointing.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
EXACTLY!!! Seriously, I hate this phone! After the marshmallow update, My notification bar wont slide down with options. The home button does not function properly and I can not transfer files from my phone to my PC. The Biggest problem though is not being able to receive incoming calls. After an hour at T-Mobile they said it was the Phone and not their service. It's been a complete NIGHTMARE!!! Today I cant even transfer vacation pictures.

Android is also to blame but there should have been a patch.

Motorola said they would send me a new Moto G3 for 24.99 through the mail.

That's about all they can do and after the problems I have had I can't wait to pay, then craigslist the new phone and buy something better.

I have never been this unhappy about a phone! Even the supposed camera quality is nothing short of disappointing.

Sync your pics to the cloud with Google Photo, then do a factory reset... Your issues are not caused by Android Marshmallow, but by a configuration issues or something unusual you had configured on Lollipop that, for lack of a better phrase, didn't convert over well.

I have seen similar situations to this dozens, maybe hundreds, of times with all sorts of devices since Eclair... I would bet with 95% certainty this will correct your issues, if not, the device is under warranty and should be repaired or replaced at no charge.

Last edited:

plod28

May 7, 2016
Visit site
Re: sending photos from moto g3 to pc

finaly found the answer

while the usb is connected phone to pc swipe the phone screen and touch usb for charging
you get a menu to control the cable...select send photos

byyyy

leecatt77

Jun 14, 2016
Visit site
I sent my phone in for service and they had to do something with the software. Now my phone when attached to my Computer says "USB not recognized". I've tried uninstalling the Motorola Device software on my laptop numerous times plus lots of other things. I am so frustrated.:(

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I sent my phone in for service and they had to do something with the software. Now my phone when attached to my Computer says "USB not recognized". I've tried uninstalling the Motorola Device software on my laptop numerous times plus lots of other things. I am so frustrated.:(
Does the USB notification show up on the phone? Have you changed it to MTP?

TBH, this sounds like a computer problem, not a phone problem.

steeljan

Jun 16, 2016
Visit site
Here's what worked for me on my Moto G 2nd gen after Marshmellow:

1. Turn off phone

2. Remove SD card

3. Power on

4. Power off

5. Put SD card back in

6. Power on and let the phone recognize it.

7. Plug it into computer via USB, now I can slide down and choose USB to use MTP. Voila, it's all accessible on my computer.

Hope this helps.
SteelJan

PianoAl

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I have been having this same problem on my Nexus 7 and Android 6.0.1.

I have tried all the solutions listed here, and still, there is no option on the notification pull down for selecting the MTP option.

I've upgraded to Win 10 since the last time this was working.

Two hours wasted so far.

Kris2277

Apr 9, 2016
Visit site
I thing many forget, including me, that when you plug in the USB cable, you then have to swipe the G3 screen top down and click on the USB notification and then choose files. Voila, they appear on windows.

shoprovers

Jun 6, 2016
Visit site
Hi
May be its due to the upgraded newest system and your pc's operating system which is windows is older.It the reason.Because one year ago,I had a moto e which did'nt connects with windows xp.Then i changed my windows to window7 and now it works properly.So just check your computer operating system.

carlatim

Jul 1, 2016
Visit site
Re: Pc cancess Moto G files

HI I have followed yourstructions about going to system apps then to External Storage to clear the data and the cache. If I do this it says all will be lost

The message says: Al this app's data will be deleted permanently. This includes all files, ses, accounts, databases etc.

I'm afraid I'll loose all of the photos I'm trying to move to my PC.

Will I?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi
I have followed this suggestion....I am not getting any verification that the phone has recognized the SD card.?
I'm not sure what your asking... The procedure noted earlier deletes the database files and rebuilds them on the reboot that are used by the MTP connection to a computer, not your data. There is no danger to your files or data, only the indexing database related to those files. There is no confirmation that it's complete.