How to downgrade from Marshmallow to Lollipop?

David Alfredo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
After several unsuccessful attempts to root my phone after the Marshmallow OTA update (each attempt soft-bricked my phone), I've had to downgrade to Lollipop a few times in the past weeks. The instructions on XDA on how to flash a Moto G system image worked just fine for me, every single time.

I believe there is some risk involving the downgrade process, some users have reported their devices bricked even after carefully following steps to downgrade, this is what prevents me from updating once a month or so to check out if I get "lucky" and don't suffer the terrible storage management issues.

MeadowsMan

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
...reading your post it becomes clear you're familiar with Android / computers / IT in general...

Thanks David. Yes, a lifetime in IT and where I come from, no upgrade is ever implemented until the 2nd or 3rd patch has been released. It's called "Staying on the leading edge, not the bleeding edge, of technology."

Anyone thinking "all new updates are generally safe" fails to recognize the pressure these software providers are under in attempting to remain in the race for consumer $$$. There's no great fear of issuing a slightly less than perfect OS as it will be landing them in the news for some free publicity.

Sound business acumen.

MeadowsMan

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
...there's no need to rehash that here...

and

For the last couple of years this has been cropping up a bit (...) After a non-optional update is postponed too many times, the only remaining option will be to install it.

So the two things you took me to task over were well known to you in the first place? My bad for falling for it but it is ironic that you posted earlier asking another user to refrain from trolling.

Last edited:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks David. Yes, a lifetime in IT and where I come from, no upgrade is ever implemented until the 2nd or 3rd patch has been released. It's called "Staying on the leading edge, not the bleeding edge, of technology."

Anyone thinking "all new updates are generally safe" fails to recognize the pressure these software providers are under in attempting to remain in the race for consumer $$$. There's no great fear of issuing a slightly less than perfect OS as it will be landing them in the news for some free publicity.

Sound business acumen.

..thing is, there usually isn't a "third" update or patch when it comes to non-Nexus Android phones.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
and

So the two things you took me to task over were well known to you in the first place? My bad for falling for it but it is ironic that you posted earlier asking another user to refrain from trolling.
Can you explain what you're talking about here? As a moderator, I often do ask people to avoid trolling. Are you saying that you think I am trolling? What do you mean by "took me to task over"? I asked you why you were trying to avoid an update - looking back, that's the only thing I asked you. I'm sorry, but I'm not following you.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Do they know the risk for updating their computers, their iPhones, their other devices?
For a comparison, ******** about Windows may be a time honored armchair sport, but I can't think of any windows version upgrade that took away, oh I don't know, like most of your HDD for example, and by design yet. That's how bad it would have to be in order to approach what the MM update has done to some people's phones.

Mine doesn't even have a working camera anymore. The stock app wants to use SD card, I can't reconfigure that, and I can't get any SD card to work in the phone.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
For a comparison, ******** about Windows may be a time honored armchair sport, but I can't think of any windows version upgrade that took away, oh I don't know, like most of your HDD for example, and by design yet. That's how bad it would have to be in order to approach what the MM update has done to some people's phones.

Mine doesn't even have a working camera anymore. The stock app wants to use SD card, I can't reconfigure that, and I can't get any SD card to work in the phone.
The Marshmallow upgrade doesn't take any of user space away, it is all in /boot and /system which are not part of your usable space... As far as the camera goes, I have no issues changing from internal to external storage and back.

It sounds like you need to factory reset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa