External speakers not working

ck6

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi! My Moto G 3rd Gen is over a year old, so it's out of the warranty, which is why I'm looking here. My external speakers seemed to have stopped working. I can seem to call just fine, because I talked to someone on the phone yesterday, which was when I started experiencing the issue again. Basically, I can't hear anything out of the external speakers. No media, no phone rings/notifications, no text sounds when I push on the keyboard keys, nada. I've had this issue before, and I've taken my phone into my local carrier store for this issue before, and a worker soft reset - at the time, I had forgotten that was a thing, I used to do it frequently to get my iPod touch working - and it fixed the issue. I've tried doing that, it didn't work. I've also browsed a bit, and a handful of people have claimed to get their speakers working again when they shook their phone a few times to turn the flashlight on and off. Tried that too, nothing. I've also tried making sure my bluetooth was off, and making it forget the headphones I use for it just in case. Nothing worked. I'm curious if a total reset of the phone would work, but if it's something internal, then there'd be no point.

It is the only issue I've had with this phone other than the occasional lag, which I do not mind.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I do not have the money to get a new phone, this one is no longer under warranty, and I don't pay off my current term until this coming September.

I forgot to mention, when I do use the bluetooth headphones, the sound still works with those.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The speaker probably failed, then. Unfortunately, that would mean either replacing the speaker (on your own, or paying for someone else to), or going without it. Sorry!

ck6

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Nope, the speakers didn't fail. This is what I tried, and it worked! Had to do it twice, so there's definitely something loose in there

"Grab the phone by the top and bottom and twist it as you are trying to play sound through the external speaker."

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, good! But in order to prevent the issue from persisting, the phone would probably have to be taken apart in order to secure that connection.:-\

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699