Why do I constantly get screen burn ins on my moto g4?

A

AC Question

I only had this phone for a few months and I haven't had any problems with it until a few days ago. I was reading a story on a website and I was only on it for a couple of hours. When I got off, I had a screen burn in. It was barely visible and I found an app that got rid of it in less than an hour. The problem is that even though I got rid of the first one, I've been having more appear constantly. Now I can be on an app for only a few minutes and pieces will stay behind when I leave the app. I never had it where I couldn't remove it but this is kinda freaking me out. Now I'm always checking my brightness because apparently than can make it worse and I'm avoiding staying on one app for long. This is my first time dealing with this. Is there something I can do to permanently stop this or prevent it? Also I normally have my brightness on about half way. Please help!!

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Your phone uses an IPS panel, so it's not screen burn in. They call it retention, but then like you've seen, it's reversible. Amoled screens burn in, and that isn't reversible. Not sure what you can do as it's a common problem with IPS... more like the nature of the beast from what I've read.

Clokeeshine

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Your phone uses an IPS panel, so it's not screen burn in. They call it retention, but then like you've seen, it's reversible. Amoled screens burn in, and that isn't reversible. Not sure what you can do as it's a common problem with IPS... more like the nature of the beast from what I've read.

Thanks! Do you know if it can ever become permanent?

Last edited by a moderator:

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
The image retention should never become permanent but you do need to run those "exercising" apps every so often. Search Google and you can find all you need to know about IPS screens. They've been around for a while.