Media Files unavailable

rcfatal

Apr 30, 2018
Visit site
Hello :) I'm new on here and hope you guys can help me!

I have a Moto G5 running Android 7.0 and this is what brings me here:

1. I've been using this same mobile for almost a year now. I usually exchange files (pdf, pictures, audio) through WhatsApp. Never had a problem;

2. All my pictures and videos are backed up to Google Photos and from time to time deleted from my mobile, not in any automatically way - I prefer to do it myself, just in case...

3. All of a sudden, I opened WhatsApp to send a picture and there was no one there! Nothing shows on Gallery.

4. I opened Photos could see pictures there, except the ones I took last week. Older ones were backed up and safe. No device folders were shown.

5. I tried to configure Google Photos to show my device pictures, but it just doesn't display any of my folders, and there used to be a lot of them!

6. I tried to see my pictures using File Manager and another file manager app and they couldn't be found. Later I installed Astro File Manager and it shows all my media files (pictures, videos, audios) in their usual folders. All there, all intact.

7. I looked for .nomedia file in all those folders, but they cannot be found.

8. The weird thing is I took a new picture with my mobile camera, it was saved in Internal Shared Storage > DCIM > Camera and displayed in Google Photos, available to be sent through any application I would use. When I opened this folder with Astro File Manager, all my old pictures are there as well, but still, they do not show on Gallery and they cannot be uploaded to Google Photos.

9. Looking for an answer, I came to Internal Shared Storage > Apps > Media Storage and there was a total of about 15 MB data there. No cache. I decided, guided by some internet orientation, to clear data. Turned out, this one picture I took and which was available and visible, went hidden. It was still saved together with all the others just couldn't be "seen" by the apps which should be scanning my mobile in search of my media files.

10. Later, I noticed that some audio files I had set as particular notification tones in WhatsApp couldn't be played as well.

11. This disappearance of media files affects all apps using pictures, videos, audios and documents downloaded or created with my mobile. Apps who create files, like CamScanner or even WhatsApp received files, can still be reached through their creator app, but not seen for any other than Astro File Manager, therefore they can't be shared.

I really don't think this is a matter of transferring them all to my pc and back to the mobile. I don't feel like working around the problem. I just would like to understand what went wrong, so I can avoid having this same issue in the future. IMHO this might be an indexation problem. Something to do with that Media Storage process that is mixing the index of my files, only I don't know what to do. All my folders keep hidden from my apps.

Any guess?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like the media databases are corrupted... Go to Settings - Apps - Show System, and find Media Storage and External Storage and clear data on both apps. Reboot immediately afterwards, and after the phone appears booted, wait at least 10 minutes, then check again.