Theory on leaked specs and customization

bryceh7

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I've been following the rumors about the X phone closely. With the recent spec leaks, I've noticed many are disappointed, thinking it will now be a midrange phone. Some have speculated that these leaks may refer to a different phone than the actual flagship. I have a theory that ties together the leaks with what Motorola has said.

Remember a month ago when a Motorola employee hinted at customization? What if the specs leaked are the baseline options, with options to upgrade different components for a little extra? Here's what I'm envisioning:

Baseline phone $300 with 16 gb storage, 2 gb ram, s4 pro, and 720p screen.
Add 32/64 gb storage +$50/100
Add s600 processor +$100
Add 1080p screen +$100
5-10 different color options

This would be a great way to allow people to make the phone their own and get what's important to them. It would allow budget purchasers to get a solid phone for a nexus 4 price and aficionados to get a phone comparable to current flagships at a comparable price.

Pc makers currently do this so I don't see why it can't be done in phones. For the carrier bound phones, they will have a couple pre made options like pc makers do for stores like best buy. Interestingly, this could allow for component updates in between product cycles, such as offering the s800 as an option when that is released. Also, having the factory in Texas probably helps what would be a more complicated manufacturing process.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SGH-I957 using Tapatalk 2

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I think it'd be a neat idea, but hard on the margins without very wide adoption.. unless they were making them post order.

bryceh7

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
That's what I would expect. Several pre-customized options available for immediate shipping and customized phones with a 2 week build and delivery time.

Sent from my SGH-I957 using Tapatalk 2

dcunited08

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I personally would be fine with the baseline specs, if the price is $300 or less. More people are moving to prepaid but yet the phone manufacturers are putting their resources to the expensive devices that only make sense if you are getting a subsidized phone. The options are stripped down hero devices or last year's (or two years) model. Why not sell a customizable device that can hit both price points?

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa