What would stop you from buying the Moto X?

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
No SD card. I mean I have stopped doing the custom ROM thing since Android and the hardware has gotten better every year. That is my real hold up, custom ROMs and having to back everything up each n every time I change ROMs.

I currently use 11GB on my Maxx HD so storage size is another.

No notification light might be another deal breaker. I like seeing my phone from across the room and knowing whats going on. I have Facebook set to blue, it rarely gets my immediate attention. Green always gets my full attention fast. If they make the notification screen flash bright enough....maybe we can talk.....

thx84

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Price and availability in my country. Motorola seems to be extremely patriotic with this phone, so I don't know what will happen in Europe.

guinnkevinr

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
The only thing that would stop me is a lack of a 32GB model. Even then, the thing is a good looker so It would be hard to pass up.

jbruha

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
No SD card. I mean I have stopped doing the custom ROM thing since Android and the hardware has gotten better every year. That is my real hold up, custom ROMs and having to back everything up each n every time I change ROMs.

I currently use 11GB on my Maxx HD so storage size is another.

No notification light might be another deal breaker. I like seeing my phone from across the room and knowing whats going on. I have Facebook set to blue, it rarely gets my immediate attention. Green always gets my full attention fast. If they make the notification screen flash bright enough....maybe we can talk.....

Why would you back everything up each time you change ROM's? You do know that flashing on devices without external SD slots doesn't wipe the built-in storage, right?

jroc

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Why would you back everything up each time you change ROM's? You do know that flashing on devices without external SD slots doesn't wipe the built-in storage, right?

Things must have changed since the G Nex launched then. If so that's good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AC Forums mobile app

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
What would stop me is mainly price. I know there has been a lot of speculation that this will be priced low off-contract but I'm starting to get rather pessimistic about that notion, especially if carrier specific variants are only available through the carrier and not somewhere like the Play Store (looking at you Sprint and Verizon). If it's priced low enough, I'd gladly sell off my S4 to give Moto another chance for a marginally lower specced phone with a great software experience.

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Only thing that would stop me from buying this phone would be a better phone for less money. I'm on Verizon so the new Nexus 5 when ever that happens is probably not an option for me.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
For me, it would be all the new phones coming out soon...decisions, decisions...
Was looking at the Nokia 928 for it's camera and the HTC One for it's power, looks, sound and it's a HTC but after having my Rezound for a couple of years I'm still happy with it so that could hold me back. I think the Moto X will take off for the group of consumers that don't have the $$ or a need to grab a HTC One or N4 or some other top tier smartphone. Have to wait and see after the 4 carriers get the device and people buy them to really see how they fit in.
I'm just on the fence and love'n it...

May 2, 2013
Visit site
At this point I'm waiting on a few things. 32gb or higher storage, what the screen looks like in person, the quality of the customization(especially the rumored carbon fiber option) and and some head to head comparisons with the One. If it operates as smooth or better, even with a lesser processor, I'd over look that completely. I'm not really looking to play games on my phone, so the gpu doesn't mean much to me. I'm just really getting tired of HTCs update schedule on thier phones, and while the Google One would be a perfect fit for me, I'm on Sprint, so no dice.

slave

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
A weak cell radio, a small battery, less than 32gb of memory (with out a micro SD slot), and the dual core processor.

I am tired if the dropped calls on the Galaxy S1, 2 and 3. I am tired of having to carry a spare battery, or always look for a charger to get through my 12 hour shift at work. 16bg of storage is simply not enough after MP3's and these games these days take up a ton of room. The dual core processor may have been the coffin nail though. Some of these games lag badly on my S3, what will happen with 2 less cores?

cbales24

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
If it feels a little too bulky in hand (as compared to say the SGS4 Mini or iPhone 5).

Also if it is confirmed that the Moto X will be on a significantly slower update schedule than Nexus handsets, then ya that might be a deal-breaker.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
A low-res screen would kill the idea for me. If the phone offers less than 320 ppi than I'm just not interested.

Sent from my Element Eclipsed S4

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Also if it is confirmed that the Moto X will be on a significantly slower update schedule than Nexus handsets, then ya that might be a deal-breaker.

Honestly, no one is going to confirm that. What are Google or Motorola going to say? "Oh yeah, we'll take FOREVER to update this one, folks." You'll just have to wait and see.

deejayburnout

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm new to Android and was looking at the device and the lack of a SD card puts me off. IIRC from the review I read, it also has a dual core CPU. Seem a bit of a backwards move as the S4 has quad core.

I do like the way it looks.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
If it feels a little too bulky in hand (as compared to say the SGS4 Mini or iPhone 5).

And guaranteed there will dozens of complaint threads about how this was supposed to be influenced by Google and have immediate updates when nothing even remotely suggests that...

Sent from my SCH-I535

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
And guaranteed there will dozens of complaint threads about how this was supposed to be influenced by Google and have immediate updates when nothing even remotely suggests that...

Sent from my SCH-I535

Exactly. It amazes me that everyone is just assuming GE phones and Google owned Motorola phones are somehow going to get automatic Nexus program privileges. I don't want to be too hard on them though because if the massive number of threads complaining about carrier/manufacturer delayed updates is any indication, this is probably THE most complained about android smartphone issue of all. People are grasping for anything to hope there's a solution around the corner.

There is and there isn't. What we're seeing right now with the GE phones, and Google pulling the API's of their native apps out of the phones and into Google Play Services is an improvement that helps mitigate the annoyance of delayed updates somewhat, but not a total and complete solution. The only total solution available right now is a Nexus, and IMO that's not a problem. The Nexus 4 is a superb device, and the Nexus 5 is going to be incredible. Other than that, you're basically looking at going iPhone, which only managed to avoid delayed updates because they were able to strongarm the carriers in the early days and they make their own hardware.

However, having said all that, if Google are really as serious about outdoing Apple as they appear to be, then they SHOULD make a phone that's a combination of their own hardware - which they can now do because they own Motorola - as well as directly updated by Google software. If that were ever to come about, I really see no more reason to ever even consider an iPhone other than pure brand loyalty.

So what's stopping them? Well basically neither the Nexus nor the Motorola brands command the same type of brand popularity that iPhones and Samsung do. So that means many carriers will not play nice with Google and allow a Motorola Nexus to be sold from their stores free of their software and controlled updates. Trying to gather sales as high as iPhone and Galaxy without being pushed to people by the carriers, and having to sell only from Play Store would be pretty tough.

We'll see what Google comes up with. It's a no-brainer that they have already likely discussed all of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa