The X Camera and why cant Moto put a decent shooter in their phones?

JJ Jones

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Some early impressions of the X are poo pooing the camera. Looking at some samples I can see why.

Which leads to a deeper question: Why cant or wont Moto do a better job with their camera's?

Thoughts?????

I would like to know this as well. From what i've read the cams on their phones are usually poor. I wonder why as well.

It also seems to be widely believed that Motorola has superior radios.
So if I have a choice between a PHONE that gets great signal or one that takes great pics, I'm going with signal every day.
It is a phone after all.

Posted via Android Central App

lostaggie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
It also seems to be widely believed that Motorola has superior radios.
So if I have a choice between a PHONE that gets great signal or one that takes great pics, I'm going with signal every day.
It is a phone after all.

Posted via Android Central App

Agreed... But why can we not have both? ;-)

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
https://plus.google.com/+Scobleizer/posts/8whQDmXXhHX

Check the album at the bottom of the post for sample pictures from the Moto X, Galaxy S4, and Lumia 1020. The Moto X photos look like crap, even in lighting environments that don't look particularly demanding. Pretty poor effort there by Motorola.

I wonder why they can't do it though. surely if the vast majority of phones come with better cameras, it's kinda weird the motorola can't seem to get a fairly good camera in at least some of their phones. It's just *weird*, no?

mistermojorizin

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
https://plus.google.com/+Scobleizer/posts/8whQDmXXhHX

Check the album at the bottom of the post for sample pictures from the Moto X, Galaxy S4, and Lumia 1020. The Moto X photos look like crap, even in lighting environments that don't look particularly demanding. Pretty poor effort there by Motorola.

from your article: "The Nokia photos totally blow away the other two cameras (the Moto x still looks better on my screen than the Samsung, with a few exceptions."

Also:

"Another piece of data? A few days ago I put up a bunch of photos comparing the Moto X to the Samsung S4. To my eye nearly every photo was better on the Moto X but many of you can't see the difference and, even, prefered the oversaturation of the S4."

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Moto just tweeted this pic:

BRlDnikCAAA-Ncw.jpg

https://twitter.com/Motorola/status/367399191175102464

For reference, that roller coaster is going about 55 mph at that point. So, it's a decent example of how the "clearpixel" camera handles motion...

But it still looks like crap.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
from your article: "The Nokia photos totally blow away the other two cameras (the Moto x still looks better on my screen than the Samsung, with a few exceptions."

Also:

"Another piece of data? A few days ago I put up a bunch of photos comparing the Moto X to the Samsung S4. To my eye nearly every photo was better on the Moto X but many of you can't see the difference and, even, prefered the oversaturation of the S4."

Yeah, i've seen a ton of pic comparisons, one photo out of 5 comparisons the moto will be a little better, but 4/5 times its not moto for the win. lol. I can live with it, i know they won't fix it with software but i'm not a social picture taker anyway so i'm okay. It does pretty good with action shots so my dog will finally be in focus, even though he and his surroundings will look washed out most of the time. lol.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRlDnikCAAA-Ncw.jpg

For reference, that roller coaster is going about 55 mph at that point. So, it's a decent example of how the "clearpixel" camera handles motion...

Heh, honestly to me atleast it dosen't look like crap to me, thats a opnion. So is yours. I think the color, espcially on the roller coaster is great, the background is a little dull, and the shots not that sharp. But besides the sharpness it looks real. Love it. I think its one of the better phones from the X.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Heh, honestly to me atleast it dosen't look like crap to me, thats a opnion. So is yours. I think the color, espcially on the roller coaster is great, the background is a little dull, and the shots not that sharp. But besides the sharpness it looks real. Love it. I think its one of the better phones from the X.

Agreed.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Dull, muted, fuzzy, and white balance favors the reds.

But hey, at least the roller coaster looks good! Gonna buy a Moto X and use it as my dedicated roller coaster camera.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Also agree. The shot shows that if the roller coaster is going 55mph and the person taking the shot is still as a tree, I noticed that there should be "some" blurr on the side of the coaster like the thunderbolts. Shutter speed would have to be pretty high to "freeze" the coaster and still retain some contrast in most of the pic (below the coaster it's dark). Um.. pretty amaz'n

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
after looking at the comparisons, I came to the conclusion that the Moto X is camera is not nearly as bad as I had expected. Still number one on my list of the new phones that have come out so far.

My son is currently trying a Nokia 1020 as a work phone. He thinks the camera is good, but not necessarily leap years ahead of the S4 other than the ability to maintain resolution with digital zoom. What he likes is the display performance in bright sunlight compared to the S4. He did not mind the Windows phone os either.

He is still considering the Moto X as top of the list for his new personal phone. He did not like the "clumsiness" of the Nokia for his own use.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Got some hands on time today and it wasn't as good as my HTC but it was easily better than a galaxy s3

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BRlDnikCAAA-Ncw.jpg

Why do you say the roller coaster looks like crap? I think the colors are vibrant, and the coaster itself is sharp. I will be more than happy with shots like this. I am not trying to be snarky, just curious what you a picking up on that you don't like.

EDIT: Just saw your other post.

Dull, muted, fuzzy, and white balance favors the reds.

But hey, at least the roller coaster looks good! Gonna buy a Moto X and use it as my dedicated roller coaster camera.

This becomes all opinion of course, but I like the way the coaster pops out from the background. At that aperture, you are not going to a large depth of field, if anything, I wish the background was softer. I think the photographer could have made better composition choices to show off the camera a little better, but at 55 mph without a zoom lens that is not an easy chore.

Strawdawg

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
The S4 looked way over saturated to me. I passed on the HTC One due to the erraticness of its outdoor shots at times. Great phone with regard to sound and that is important to me being old and deaf

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Why do you say the roller coaster looks like crap? I think the colors are vibrant, and the coaster itself is sharp. I will be more than happy with shots like this. I am not trying to be snarky, just curious what you a picking up on that you don't like.

EDIT: Just saw your other post.

This becomes all opinion of course, but I like the way the coaster pops out from the background. At that aperture, you are not going to a large depth of field, if anything, I wish the background was softer. I think the photographer could have made better composition choices to show off the camera a little better, but at 55 mph without a zoom lens that is not an easy chore.
From what I've seen, the camera UI abandons technical control for the sake of simplicity, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Most people don't care about all this stuff anyway since they're just gonna filter their photos on Instagram.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
From what I've seen, the camera UI abandons technical control for the sake of simplicity, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Most people don't care about all this stuff anyway since they're just gonna filter their photos on Instagram.

that instagram filter makes me queasy. lol. literally.

SteelGator

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. I am also interested in how easy the photos are to fix with something like Snapseed. I have had good results with my GN camera and Snapseed, so I expect the Clear Pixel camera to be even a little better.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95