Moto X best feature - Active Display

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Not pushing a button to see the time doesn't seem like a big deal, but holy cow, it's awesome! On my Galaxy Nexus I would push the button countless times a day just to see if I missed any notifications or to check the time. Now when I pull the Moto X out of my pocket the time and any notifications are already shown without hitting a button to turn on the screen. And I don't have to hit a button to turn the screen off before going back in the pocket. Also, when the phone is sitting on my desk I just give it a nudge and the screen shows me the time. Its such a minor thing, but makes a world of difference in the awesomeness of the Moto X!

Posted via Android Central App

My old Blackberry had a magnetic sensor in or behind the screen, and the holster had a magnet so whenever you unholstered it the screen turned on and turned off when it was holstered. I currently use auto screen on on my HTC One. It uses the prox sensor for the same purpose. A thirty dollar Timex means I am not pulling my phone out of my pocket constantly to check the time. It's quicker and more efficient.

It's all about the delivery. If I have the greatest product in the world but no one knows about it... can it really be revolutionary? It's the apple phenomenon and it's all about delivery and how you sell the product.

Do you remember tablet PC's? Back in 1999-2000 they had full sized tablet laptops available. They weren't marketed correctly and never sold well but someone at Apple noticed the potential of it and the rest is history. It's all about how you sell your product.

PS I'm not an apple fan but their marketing is damn impressive.

Come on, the Win XP tablets cost twice the price of a laptop, they were bulky, weighed the same as a laptop (if not more), and had outdated CPUs. They were big and bulky, software was not optimized for touch. No amount of marketing could fix that. I know, I was privileged enough to have used a Compaq/HP 4400. It blew chunks. Big time.

Dregur

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone run into the active notifications not working? It works for a while and then no matter what I do, the "notifications" won't come on. Am I misunderstanding how it works? I can put it face down and pick it back up and still nothing?

Posted via Android Central App

I noticed that if you don't have any actual notifications, the breathing is less frequent. It will activate every single time when taken out of a pocket. But if it lays there without any notifications, it will breathe once every 15 seconds or so. However, if you have a notification, it will breathe once every 3-5 seconds.

elvis692

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I had the droid maxx for 5 days and returned it because it DOES turn on in your pocket A LOT when you get a notification!! I was all the time pulling it out of my pocket and the phone had been on and doing various things from being on the internet to making phone calls. Went back to my RMHD and my big led notifications. Couldn't be happier!!

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsofts tablets sucked and they marketed the hell out of them. Apples tablets didn't and don't.

It's all about the delivery. If I have the greatest product in the world but no one knows about it... can it really be revolutionary? It's the apple phenomenon and it's all about delivery and how you sell the product.

Do you remember tablet PC's? Back in 1999-2000 they had full sized tablet laptops available. They weren't marketed correctly and never sold well but someone at Apple noticed the potential of it and the rest is history. It's all about how you sell your product.

PS I'm not an apple fan but their marketing is damn impressive.

xweb10

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree. This is a great feature that I enjoy on the Droid Maxx, as well. I assume it works similarly on the Moto-X.

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I had the droid maxx for 5 days and returned it because it DOES turn on in your pocket A LOT when you get a notification!! I was all the time pulling it out of my pocket and the phone had been on and doing various things from being on the internet to making phone calls. Went back to my RMHD and my big led notifications. Couldn't be happier!!

That sucks. Obviously its not supposed to do that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-09-01-08-42-33.png
    Screenshot_2013-09-01-08-42-33.png
    102.3 KB · Views: 67

Tim_Katarn

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Come on, the Win XP tablets cost twice the price of a laptop, they were bulky, weighed the same as a laptop (if not more), and had outdated CPUs. They were big and bulky, software was not optimized for touch. No amount of marketing could fix that. I know, I was privileged enough to have used a Compaq/HP 4400. It blew chunks. Big time.

I'm talking pre windows xp. The problem wasn't the hardware. At that point in time all laptops were handicapped by the processors and RAM that was used on mobile computing. I have an HP Laptop from 2000 here and even if I do a complete wipe and reinstall Windows on it it's still slow there nothing that can change it. Part of the reason the PC world is hurting now is because in the last 6 or so years the PC has reached the point where upgrading just to do business tasks is no longer necessary and people are able to hold on to their current PC's much longer now. But that's another debate.

My point is that they failed to show you why you want the tablet and how it could be used in your everyday life. Not the tablet itself. Early adopters of any tech pay the price and early mobile computing was weak at best. But once you can show people WHY they will love your product it and use it with everyday life it will take off. With the Ipad still being around 700-800 we can't really talk about price as a barrier.That's what I meant in my example. Someone saw the potential of the tablet to a mass market and then they were able to convince the rest of the world.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87