Moto X Verizon 13 hour battery

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
This all by itself was the reason that I stopped reading your post. If you really believe this then you should never offer any tips of any kind to android users ever again.

Posted via Android Central App
Don't be a D-Bag in this thread as well. Haptic feedback and touch sounds can cause issues. Just because they may not for you, doesn't mean that problems don't exist. If you took the time to actually research things instead of posting drivel here, perhaps you'd know. Here's one example of many instances of haptic feedback causing AudioOut_2 wake locks. I've personally experienced this on my Galaxy Nexus and N7. Feel free to research others on your own time (or just continue to act like a D-Bag all over AC instead).

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Another thing, Haptic Feedback and Touch Sounds always have and always will be battery killers (at least when in use). I remember a buddy of mine disabling them on his T-Mo Sensation over partial wake lock issues. That's freaking Froyo, people. ;)

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Another thing, Haptic Feedback and Touch Sounds always have and always will be battery killers (at least when in use). I remember a buddy of mine disabling them on his T-Mo Sensation over partial wake lock issues. That's freaking Froyo, people. ;)

You rant a lot for some giving half wrong advice.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
You rant a lot for some giving half wrong advice.

Right, between your vast insider knowledge of how mobile carriers and smart phone manufacturers work, mixed with your knowledge of all things inside the inner workings of Android, I'm impressed you find the time to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Part of being a man is admitting when your wrong. You called me out in another thread with no facts. You attempted to do it again in this one and got burned. Move on from it or don't. I get a kick out of having a little troll follow me around.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
Right, between your vast insider knowledge of how mobile carriers and smart phone manufacturers work, mixed with your knowledge of all things inside the inner workings of Android, I'm impressed you find the time to walk and chew gum at the same time.

Part of being a man is admitting when your wrong. You called me out in another thread with no facts. You attempted to do it again in this one and got burned. Move on from it or don't. I get a kick out of having a little troll follow me around.

And they are very long rants. Actually entertaining as nobody takes the advice to heart.

kylie brown

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
It has a good battery life. May be your's lack according to your usage statistics. Various apps on your device effect the battery parameters a lot. SO just cross check your device for them.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site

Basically what I am saying is your answer to the OP's questions is to shut down features. Basic features and not look for the root problem. Why cripple a phone like you are suggesting when simple troubleshooting can find the source of his issues. You call me a troll? Will you just look at the rants and insults that you have posted in this thread and in the past? C'mon now. What if the OP actually took your ridiculous advice to heart and started turning off the features that make his moto x the great phone that it is. Your way of troubleshooting is not right. Its a newb approach and in the long run is only going to confuse the op more. You just Google people's problems then paste whatever comes up into this forum. 99% of it is garbage. And by going back and reading you older posts you should be used to hearing this because a lot of people are telling you the same thing.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I told him to turn things off to help identify the culprit, not to leave them off permanently. I probably didn't clarify that. He is on Android Central, not XDA. A lot of the people here are not power users. They don't have root, they don't flash ROMs and if they stare at an app like Better Battery Stats they simply don't know what they're looking at. They are not familiar with troubleshooting and identifying a particular partial wake lock may or may not make a difference for them, especially when dozens of things can use the same process. He has yet to post what partial wake locks he has, rather just stating that his wake locks are minimal. Are they? We don't know. That's his opinion, and maybe they are. He seems like a pretty smart guy. Even if they are, that doesn't help us with his partial wake locks. They are two different things. You and I know that, but from the way I read these posts, I'm not sure he does (maybe he does and I'm just reading him wrong). The way I read things, he's a "regular" user trying to troubleshoot his device.

Just because you've never noticed it, it doesn't mean that haptic feedback and touch sound problems don't run rampant. Search https://code.google.com/p/android/ sometime. Read this handy guide on XDA as one of many tips. In my experience, the most common partial wake locks I have personally experienced on several devices have been AudioOut_1/2 and ConnectivityService (the latter because I travel extensively, usually in rural areas for work). The most common, by far, relates to Google Services which is expected. Identifying a partial wake lock is half the problem. Lots of things use AudioOut_2. In my experience, and the experiences of friends across all different devices from Froyo to JellyBean, turning off haptic feedback and touch sounds vastly cuts down on AudioOut_2 partial wake locks, again, a common battery draining partial wake lock for all of us. It doesn't solve them entirely, but it's not suppose to. PWL's are a part of life.

He doesn't have to cripple his device to troubleshoot it, he can merely start by turning off haptic feedback and touch sounds, give it a day and see if it makes a difference. He doesn't have to to do anything else. He can do something that takes 30 seconds, then put the phone down and walk away. This was my first suggestion, the suggestion which you ranted over and discounted as being a possible solution. You stated my suggestion was spreading incorrect information so I'm going about documenting why it is, in fact, correct information so the next person that comes along and finds this thread in a search doesn't pass over a simple fix. I never claimed to know everything about Android, but I do know a thing or two about partial wake locks just from personal experience alone.

Without knowing what his specific partial wake locks are, we have to make guesses and the best guesses are to look at what the common problems are. Based on that, my suggestions are possible solutions to unknown specific problems. AudioOut_2 and MediaScanner are big time partial wake lock issues for all Android devices, regardless of manufacturer or specific framework. My suggestions help eliminate those problems if you're a basic user trying to trouble shoot blind. Some of them ARE lengthy (like backing up your SD, formatting it, and copying everything back over) but that's a part of blind troubleshooting. A lot of other partial wake locks are related to Google Services, which like you said, shutting off cripples your phone. Or they are partial wake locks tied back to your network quality and there's not a whole lot that can be done about that. Still, that doesn't change the fact that if someone's phone is in a locker for hours at a time, there's literally no reason for it to be syncing email and other updates that you aren't there to see anyway. It's not something that I care to turn off, but that doesn't mean someone else that becomes informed of the option may not choose to take advantage of it.

Look dude, it's nothing personal, you can talk about whatever else you want to talk about in regards to me. I really don't care. But claiming that my first suggestion is so stupid that it completely discounts anything else I say is like saying I'm crazy for claiming that the Earth rotates around the Sun. And if you think you can toss an insult at me and not get something snarky in response, well, sorry man, but that's not reality. The only person in this thread not offering suggestions is you. If I've said something directed to you in the past that you interpreted as an attack out of no where, then you've misinterpreted my intent and take this as an apology. The only thing that really matters is that I'm not going to sit idly by and let anyone imply that a common fix isn't a fix just because they have a beef with me. That said, we're both derailing this thread and I for one am done derailing it, and hopefully you are too.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
You need to go back and re read. I never said stupid. You actually are the one that called me a D-Bag, as you put it.. Either way your apology is accepted so lets move on.
I told him to turn things off to help identify the culprit, not to leave them off permanently. I probably didn't clarify that. He is on Android Central, not XDA. A lot of the people here are not power users. They don't have root, they don't flash ROMs and if they stare at an app like Better Battery Stats they simply don't know what they're looking at. They are not familiar with troubleshooting and identifying a particular partial wake lock may or may not make a difference for them, especially when dozens of things can use the same process. He has yet to post what partial wake locks he has, rather just stating that his wake locks are minimal. Are they? We don't know. That's his opinion, and maybe they are. He seems like a pretty smart guy. Even if they are, that doesn't help us with his partial wake locks. They are two different things. You and I know that, but from the way I read these posts, I'm not sure he does (maybe he does and I'm just reading him wrong). The way I read things, he's a "regular" user trying to troubleshoot his device.

Just because you've never noticed it, it doesn't mean that haptic feedback and touch sound problems don't run rampant. Search https://code.google.com/p/android/ sometime. Read this handy guide on XDA as one of many tips. In my experience, the most common partial wake locks I have personally experienced on several devices have been AudioOut_1/2 and ConnectivityService (the latter because I travel extensively, usually in rural areas for work). The most common, by far, relates to Google Services which is expected. Identifying a partial wake lock is half the problem. Lots of things use AudioOut_2. In my experience, and the experiences of friends across all different devices from Froyo to JellyBean, turning off haptic feedback and touch sounds vastly cuts down on AudioOut_2 partial wake locks, again, a common battery draining partial wake lock for all of us. It doesn't solve them entirely, but it's not suppose to. PWL's are a part of life.

He doesn't have to cripple his device to troubleshoot it, he can merely start by turning off haptic feedback and touch sounds, give it a day and see if it makes a difference. He doesn't have to to do anything else. He can do something that takes 30 seconds, then put the phone down and walk away. This was my first suggestion, the suggestion which you ranted over and discounted as being a possible solution. You stated my suggestion was spreading incorrect information so I'm going about documenting why it is, in fact, correct information so the next person that comes along and finds this thread in a search doesn't pass over a simple fix. I never claimed to know everything about Android, but I do know a thing or two about partial wake locks just from personal experience alone.

Without knowing what his specific partial wake locks are, we have to make guesses and the best guesses are to look at what the common problems are. Based on that, my suggestions are possible solutions to unknown specific problems. AudioOut_2 and MediaScanner are big time partial wake lock issues for all Android devices, regardless of manufacturer or specific framework. My suggestions help eliminate those problems if you're a basic user trying to trouble shoot blind. Some of them ARE lengthy (like backing up your SD, formatting it, and copying everything back over) but that's a part of blind troubleshooting. A lot of other partial wake locks are related to Google Services, which like you said, shutting off cripples your phone. Or they are partial wake locks tied back to your network quality and there's not a whole lot that can be done about that. Still, that doesn't change the fact that if someone's phone is in a locker for hours at a time, there's literally no reason for it to be syncing email and other updates that you aren't there to see anyway. It's not something that I care to turn off, but that doesn't mean someone else that becomes informed of the option may not choose to take advantage of it.

Look dude, it's nothing personal, you can talk about whatever else you want to talk about in regards to me. I really don't care. But claiming that my first suggestion is so stupid that it completely discounts anything else I say is like saying I'm crazy for claiming that the Earth rotates around the Sun. And if you think you can toss an insult at me and not get something snarky in response, well, sorry man, but that's not reality. The only person in this thread not offering suggestions is you. If I've said something directed to you in the past that you interpreted as an attack out of no where, then you've misinterpreted my intent and take this as an apology. The only thing that really matters is that I'm not going to sit idly by and let anyone imply that a common fix isn't a fix just because they have a beef with me. That said, we're both derailing this thread and I for one am done derailing it, and hopefully you are too.

dp.rotten

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I have bluetooth and wifi always on, with moderately consistent use throughout the day off charge for 16 hours. Then another day the same usage and I get about 8. Honestly, I'm not sure what the big differing factor is. It varies from day to day (although 8 hours is about twice as long as my Vivid lasted on a daily basis, roughly 4 hours until dead).

sisblub

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Personally that's pretty good battery life. I'm getting 5-7hrs screen time with 10-13hrs use. With this size of battery I'm not sure where you can get much battery.

wow you get 5-7 hours screen time?? how do you manage that? the most i can get consistently is about 3.5 hours, just about 2 min per % of battery life. thats incredible, share your secret!

mattmacor

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey dude, I was actually having this problem when i first got my Verizon moto x. I was getting about 2 and a half hours screen on time with 16 hours on battery before i was at 4 % or less and wasnt getting nearly what the other moto x owners were getting. Take it to Verizon, There is an update that our phones are blocking and they can force it for you. I got my phone updated on Sunday and yesterday (Monday) I got 1 day and 2 hours off battery and 3 hours and 15 minutes screen on time (I didnt take screen shots or I would post them). But definitely go have them force the update changes everything. Hope this helps!

Mark Duren

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Interesting mattmacor Could you please post the About Phone Information for the Android version (probably 4.2.2) Kernel and Build Information? I'm actually interested in this for the camera/microphone issue that is discussed in multiple other forums (including Motorla and Verizon forums) and at Android Central here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/312820-voice-cutting-out-other-end-call-10.html#post3115562 Your post was mentioned in the Verizon forums on that issue this morning. Thank You.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
wow you get 5-7 hours screen time?? how do you manage that? the most i can get consistently is about 3.5 hours, just about 2 min per % of battery life. thats incredible, share your secret!

I didn't take a screen shot, but last night I got 4hr 43min screen on time with 32% battery life to go.

And to note: I have always listening turned off. I've used it about 5 times since I had the phone.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk 2

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I would get phenomenal battery life with gps and active listening off, like 24 hours and 5 hours on screen time. with all cores running the battery was average only.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Interesting mattmacor Could you please post the About Phone Information for the Android version (probably 4.2.2) Kernel and Build Information? I'm actually interested in this for the camera/microphone issue that is discussed in multiple other forums (including Motorla and Verizon forums) and at Android Central here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/312820-voice-cutting-out-other-end-call-10.html#post3115562 Your post was mentioned in the Verizon forums on that issue this morning. Thank You.

Right, if true that's actually pretty big new.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I am not a heavy user, I use it to browse the web and facebook for about 2 to 3 hours a day,

Personally, I consider that fairly heavy use. You're using a pocket-sized computer after all. And unless you are on a strong WiFi signal or mega-strong 4G signal, I think you're getting pretty good battery life.

I have so far left wifi on, bt off, gps on, touchless control on, active notifs on, etc. The only thing I can think of that would influence the battery life negatively is that my school's wifi is weird, and it seems to have to disconnect and reconnect a relative lot. I didn't make it through a day, though, where wifi was off and I was not at school. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Signal strength is (almost) everything. Sadly, it is impossible to take one person's "5-7 hours of screen time" at face value of your own time unless the both of you have the exact same signal strength, run the exact same apps, and have identical screen settings. There are so many other factors at play that I don't think it is reasonable to compare a single result and not consider the hundreds of factors that impact it.

Last edited:

mattmacor

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Sorry guys I've been trying to upload the screenshot all day but I guess they block that here in the pharma world... When I get home I'll do it. However...THIS IS NOT THE CAMERA UPDATE. It supposedly was pushed to fix some idle drain and wake lock issues from what the rep told me. (This was a certified Verizon seller not an official Verizon wireless store). Whatever it did I'm on track for 30 hours off charger and 3 hours screen on time.I'll post those screenshots tonight/tomorrow whenever the phone is almost dead if anyone wants proof.

mattmacor

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
So here is the screen shot. I posted another comment about what the update is but it is NOT the camera update. It just fixes some wake lock/idle drain issues. Most Verizon phones block it so you have to do it in store apparently.Screenshot_2013-10-08-17-32-21.png