I need some help guys, Keep my Nexus 5 or jump to a Moto X

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This is the 1st time I've ever not known what to do with phone choice, I was never really interested in the Moto X until I used the "OK Google" feature on my N5, I love it, it makes my day so much easier and safer, but I know the Moto X takes it further by listening when the screen is off.

I've never even held a Moto X but I really want to try it but I'm worried its gonna lag behind my Nexus 5, I know nobody can tell me what to do, but I'm looking for opinions from you guys, Jerry's Vs was informative but still left me undecided

Here's what I love about my Nexus 5:
The screen, I really like how sharp it is, I'm worries the Moto X might look mudded compared.

Vanilla Android, I'm not much of a skin person, seems the Moto X is almost vanilla also.

Build quality, I think the Nexus 5 is well built and feels well.

Speed, the Nexus 5 is fast.... At everything, worried if I see a noticeable difference with the X, I'm not into benchmarks, I'm into everyday life marks lol

Thanks people :)

Posted via Android Central App

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
If you already have the N5, keep it.
I'd say the same if you already had the X - keep it.

They're similar enough IMO to not really need trading one for the other.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
That nexus won't be faster than the moto x.

And the boost from kit Kat that you get, that I know is very real after putting it on a friends nexus 4. Will be on the moto x soon.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
if you want to have touch less controls and active display you should try moto x, also it supposedly gets better battery life than nexus 5 so thats another plus ..performance vice dont think you will notice any difference ..screen nexus 5 vs moto x it will depend what type screen tech you prefer Moto x definitely has deeper blacks better contrast and viewing angles, where nexus 5 is little sharper give its 1080p display

This is the 1st time I've ever not known what to do with phone choice, I was never really interested in the Moto X until I used the "OK Google" feature on my N5, I love it, it makes my day so much easier and safer, but I know the Moto X takes it further by listening when the screen is off.

I've never even held a Moto X but I really want to try it but I'm worried its gonna lag behind my Nexus 5, I know nobody can tell me what to do, but I'm looking for opinions from you guys, Jerry's Vs was informative but still left me undecided

Here's what I love about my Nexus 5:
The screen, I really like how sharp it is, I'm worries the Moto X might look mudded compared.

Vanilla Android, I'm not much of a skin person, seems the Moto X is almost vanilla also.

Build quality, I think the Nexus 5 is well built and feels well.

Speed, the Nexus 5 is fast.... At everything, worried if I see a noticeable difference with the X, I'm not into benchmarks, I'm into everyday life marks lol

Thanks people :)

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Go to the store and pick one up and play with it for a bit. I think you will be surprised at the screen on the x. The amoled is sharp. The battery is awesome and the speaker is great as well.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
That could be a tough question. I think if you only have one phone the X may be a better choice (more features). If you have more than one phone the Nexus is a great addition.

G Pad 8.3

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
All these comments are right on. I do like the bigger screen on the Nexus 5 but in no way is the Moto X screen lacking. It is amoled and is very nice. Active Notifications and touch less control are just so useful. Once the Moto X gets 4.4 and I can use Google Wallet, the Moto X will probably become my daily driver, or at least get switched out every other week. ( I have been using the Nexus 5 as my daily driver since Nov 7 to give it a good break in)

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes the form is perfect the screen surprised me on how amazing it is and coming from an HTC one this phone does not lag at all everything runs fast and perfect.

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There is no lag on the X. And the size is perfect. I was torn between the two and went moto. Zero regrets

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

GNexROC

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Just hold a moto x. Its perfect. And no lag whatsoever. The active notifications are amazing. I just bump the couch cushion its sitting on and it instantly displays any notifications. That's if I can't wait a few seconds to see the notification appear on its own.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If I had a Nexus 5, I wouldn't give it up for a Moto X.

I also wouldn't give up a Moto X for a Nexus 5 either.

If I didn't have either phone, it would be a tougher decision.

cw0974

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I don't even have the pleasure of buying the nexus 5 since I'm on verizon. If I had the nexus 5 already, I wouldn't let it go. It's definitely a keeper.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
To me I find the X the better phone. But Nexus is Nexus never the less. The X has better speakers too.
I remember reading a few people leaving their Nexus 5's for the X also.

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I had no choice since I am in Verizon. But I will say the moto x is the best phone I ever owned. I will never go back to a phone that does not have active display or touchless control. In fact I think I am a Motorola guy for all phones the in foreseeable future. I like the build quality and the kevlar material and see no reason to go with another brand. I guess I am now a fanboy or a very satisfied customer. The moto x is just that good. Best phone I have ever owned period.

Previous phones are BlackBerry something, blackberry storm, Motorola DROID, HTC trophy, iPhone 5, galaxy note 2, HTC droid DNA.

Tech First

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
I had to make the same choice between the N5 and Moto X. Having used both phones this is what I concluded

Screen (depends on if you like AMOLED vs LCD tech)
Battery (from what I read the Moto X does a bit better but I was not able to test this out personally in the short time I had with either unit)
performance (if your a gamer the N5 is a little stronger, otherwise I couldn't tell a difference)
ergonomics (Moto X is way more comfortable in the hands, the N5 looks like a slab and feels like a slab)
Camera (Moto X with camera update is overall better mainly because the N5 has such an awful camera app/focus times)
Build quality (to me the Moto X feels more solid, thats pretty anecdotal but if you look at the various drop test the Moto X tends to fare better and it does have the water resistant nanocoting)
Price (clear win for the N5, you could grab a Moto X on contract or from republic wireless for $300 but for an unlocked phone the N5 is an easy win)
google now/Always on (Moto X just makes better use of it with its amoled screen, I wasn't to big on the voice commands though)

I didn't really test audio out so I cant really comment on that aspect. I guess just pick whats important to you and go with it. I preferred the slightly smaller form factor, always on notifications and stronger battery life so I went ahead and purchased the Moto X.

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I didn't really test audio out so I cant really comment on that aspect. I guess just pick whats important to you and go with it. I preferred the slightly smaller form factor, always on notifications and stronger battery life so I went ahead and purchased the Moto X.

Exact same reasons I chose the X. If only came down to price which it almost did, I was going with the N5. Since I was able to go through AT&T, I got the one I wanted, the X.
Best phone I have owned yet.

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Why not read the article Jerry wrote on this EXACT topic? Instead of asking a bunch of biased people that already have the Moto X?

Why not go to the store and actually hold and use a Moto X instead of worrying about lag and a bad screen and bad build quality that are obviously not problems with the Moto X?

Get a Moto X. I played with a N5 yesterday and wasn't blown away by it. Nice phone, but too big for my taste. Same features or better on the X.

And the speaker on the X is LOUD at full volume and very clear. My old Rezound was the first Beats phone and it didn't even compare to the volume of the X.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I had no choice since I am in Verizon. But I will say the moto x is the best phone I ever owned. I will never go back to a phone that does not have active display or touchless control. In fact I think I am a Motorola guy for all phones the in foreseeable future. I like the build quality and the kevlar material and see no reason to go with another brand. I guess I am now a fanboy or a very satisfied customer. The moto x is just that good. Best phone I have ever owned period.

Previous phones are BlackBerry something, blackberry storm, Motorola DROID, HTC trophy, iPhone 5, galaxy note 2, HTC droid DNA.

Pretty sure the x doesn't have kevlar anywhere on it

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Why not read the article Jerry wrote on this EXACT topic? Instead of asking a bunch of biased people that already have the Moto X?

Why not go to the store and actually hold and use a Moto X instead of worrying about lag and a bad screen and bad build quality that are obviously not problems with the Moto X?

Get a Moto X. I played with a N5 yesterday and wasn't blown away by it. Nice phone, but too big for my taste. Same features or better on the X.

And the speaker on the X is LOUD at full volume and very clear. My old Rezound was the first Beats phone and it didn't even compare to the volume of the X.

I don't know if you read my post or just went with the title, it does say I READ Jerry's Vs...... And I also find that the AC forums tend to be not so biased, and as for picking one up in a store obviously I would before buying one, but picking it up in the store is not the same as hearing from people that use the device daily, trust me, I've had over 20 phones since June 1st and the Moto X is one I didn't try, this is why I ask for opinions, as I've never had this issue before where I cannot make a decision

Anyways guys thanks for all your advice, Im still scratching my head and may use both for a week or two

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NK01UK