For those that switched from iPhone 5S (RE: Notifications)

scrounger

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Along with trusted bluetooth you can use the Motorola Skip (uses NFC) to bypass the lockscreen. List price is $15 including skip dots and is available in different colors.

Posted via Android Central App

garment69

Banned
May 10, 2013
Visit site
"I don't really use widgets, so that 'benefit' is lost on me... Battery life is ok. Currently I have 29% remaining and I have had 4hrs 55 mins of screen time over 14hrs 19 mins since I took it off the charger. "

Amazing to me you only consider that battery life "ok".

To the OP. Currently using a 5S and my moto x will be here tomorrow. I am in the same boat as you and really like the iOS does lock screen notifications. I'll let you know what I think.

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I think I feel that way because it seems to vary greatly. The day before, I only got just over 3hrs onscreen time before needing a charge; yesterday was definitely my best so far. In all honesty, I haven't really "settled in" with my day to day routine, so I will have to give a better update on battery life once the holiday weekend is over. With the iPhone 5, I usually had around 40-50% after a full day of work/casual use - this is my benchmark - with leaving everything (Bluetooth, wifi, gps) on. With the MotoX, I am also leaving everything on (minus NFC), and battery saver is turned on.

To the OP, sort of on the topic of notifications, I wanted to mention that the MotoX also has the 'quick replies' if unable to take a call, similar to the iPhone. Not sure if this is an Android thing or just part of the MotoX, but they are there. This was of concern to me, and I was happy to see this feature.

thegrants82

Banned
May 8, 2013
Visit site
"I don't really use widgets, so that 'benefit' is lost on me... Battery life is ok. Currently I have 29% remaining and I have had 4hrs 55 mins of screen time over 14hrs 19 mins since I took it off the charger. "

To the OP. Currently using a 5S and my moto x will be here tomorrow. I am in the same boat as you and really like the iOS does lock screen notifications. I'll let you know what I think.

As much as I wanted the moto x to be better than my 5s it actually isn't even close. And that includes battery life. Have fun playing with the moto x because it a good glimpse into what Motorola is working on but don't sell the 5s too fast:) if you really want the latest and greatest android experience then pick up the N5. I switch back and fourth between the 5s and N5. Truly the best of both worlds.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
As much as I wanted the moto x to be better than my 5s it actually isn't even close. And that includes battery life. Have fun playing with the moto x because it a good glimpse into what Motorola is working on but don't sell the 5s too fast:) if you really want the latest and greatest android experience then pick up the N5. I switch back and fourth between the 5s and N5. Truly the best of both worlds.
I think it boils down to what you value and enjoy. For some the Moto X is nearly orgasmic. I'm not in that camp but I can appreciate the phone's attributes. However, to me, the Nexus 5 is the more preferable device. ...but certainly not based on its camera. ...and so, I have a G2.

dataquest#IM

May 14, 2010
Visit site
It's nice to read that someone understands the awesomeness of the notifications on iOS! Like you, I've had all the iPhones except iPhone 5s. I'm currently on a Nexus 5, which I found that I like better than the Moto X, but that's another thread. :) I always found it hard to go to android from an iPhone. One reason was how iPhone shows you the notification, bam, right there on the screen where you can actually read most of it and not even have to touch the screen. I always have twitter notifications coming in while I'm at work. I have my phone propped up in front of me. When a notification comes in, I can read it without having to touch it, which is awesome. It confounds me as to why android doesn't even light up the screen an all when you get a text or any notification! Anyways, like I said, I have the Nexus 5 and I briefly had the Moto X. So, when you get a text, for example, on the Moto X, the screen lights up but it only shows the text icon. You get no preview of the actual message. So, you still have to hold down on the icon to read some of the actual message, which pretty much defeats the whole point. Now, this is a little better than other android phones, but still not ideal. But after a ton of searching, I have found an app called Notifier Pro that kind of duplicates how Apple does notifications. I set it up and now I get the screen to light up and it shows some of the message without having to touch the screen. When I got the Moto X, after a short while of having the "active notifications" on and getting annoyed, I installed the Notification Pro app, and it worked like my Nexus (with the app). But, that just showed that the active notifications on the Moto X wasn't cutting it. I found that I was just making it work like my Nexus. So, I returned the Moto X and kept the Nexus, which has the better screen, newest android features and the smoothest operation. So, with the help of this app, in addition to a real notification LED, I have the best of both worlds.
Now, I did like the always listening thing, where you can say, "OK Google Now" at any time. That was a cool feature.
As far as the question of whether you should get this phone over your iphone 5s, only you can decide. If you are like me, I have to try things for myself because I have found that a lot of things that people like about phones is completely opposite of my way of thinking, which is fine because everyone is different and entitled to their opinions. I hope this helps.

jaketoggle

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site

Awesome thanks!

jaketoggle

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
It's nice to read that someone understands the awesomeness of the notifications on iOS! Like you, I've had all the iPhones except iPhone 5s. I'm currently on a Nexus 5, which I found that I like better than the Moto X, but that's another thread. :) I always found it hard to go to android from an iPhone. One reason was how iPhone shows you the notification, bam, right there on the screen where you can actually read most of it and not even have to touch the screen. I always have twitter notifications coming in while I'm at work. I have my phone propped up in front of me. When a notification comes in, I can read it without having to touch it, which is awesome. It confounds me as to why android doesn't even light up the screen an all when you get a text or any notification! Anyways, like I said, I have the Nexus 5 and I briefly had the Moto X. So, when you get a text, for example, on the Moto X, the screen lights up but it only shows the text icon. You get no preview of the actual message. So, you still have to hold down on the icon to read some of the actual message, which pretty much defeats the whole point. Now, this is a little better than other android phones, but still not ideal. But after a ton of searching, I have found an app called Notifier Pro that kind of duplicates how Apple does notifications. I set it up and now I get the screen to light up and it shows some of the message without having to touch the screen. When I got the Moto X, after a short while of having the "active notifications" on and getting annoyed, I installed the Notification Pro app, and it worked like my Nexus (with the app). But, that just showed that the active notifications on the Moto X wasn't cutting it. I found that I was just making it work like my Nexus. So, I returned the Moto X and kept the Nexus, which has the better screen, newest android features and the smoothest operation. So, with the help of this app, in addition to a real notification LED, I have the best of both worlds.
Now, I did like the always listening thing, where you can say, "OK Google Now" at any time. That was a cool feature.
As far as the question of whether you should get this phone over your iphone 5s, only you can decide. If you are like me, I have to try things for myself because I have found that a lot of things that people like about phones is completely opposite of my way of thinking, which is fine because everyone is different and entitled to their opinions. I hope this helps.

Really appreciate this feedback! We definitely think alike when it comes to the lock screen and how notifications, previewing messages, and the screen turning on are handled. I have not used Notification Pro in the past but am I excited to try it when I test out my next Android device. I'd honestly probably test the Nexus before the Moto X but I have to be on Verizon, so it's a no go.

garment69

Banned
May 10, 2013
Visit site

I had the N5 and returned it. It was too big and the battery life, for me, was not acceptable.

garment69

Banned
May 10, 2013
Visit site
Too big? Really? The Nexus 5?? ...but true about the battery life.

It's total personal preference. I know the N5 is no bigger than the GS4, HTC One or a host of other phones but I really like the smaller form factor. To me, the Moto X is the perfect size.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
It's total personal preference. I know the N5 is no bigger than the GS4, HTC One or a host of other phones but I really like the smaller form factor. To me, the Moto X is the perfect size.

Yeah, I guess I quickly adapted these near-phablet sized phones as the norm but really they are not not small. I can't really imagine going back to anything smaller than my G2.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Just to play Devil's advocate, though this is something that I do truly believe, but what good is a "lock screen" if I can still read messages from it?

There's probably a setting on iOS to turn these features off, but honestly, I DO NOT want any incoming messages to displayed on my screen for anyone to see...I DO NOT want anyone with physical access to my phone to be able to view any incoming messages or access my notifications. That's one of the reasons I have it locked for in the first place.

dataquest#IM

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Just to play Devil's advocate, though this is something that I do truly believe, but what good is a "lock screen" if I can still read messages from it?

There's probably a setting on iOS to turn these features off, but honestly, I DO NOT want any incoming messages to displayed on my screen for anyone to see...I DO NOT want anyone with physical access to my phone to be able to view any incoming messages or access my notifications. That's one of the reasons I have it locked for in the first place.

Yes, you can easily turn them off in iOS. Sounds like the Moto X will work great for you. That's cool.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. In iOS you have the ability to turn off the preview for messages and what not. That's how I have it. I don't want anyone to be able to see my notifications. Currently I have an iPhone 5, but in the coming days will have a Moto X. It was between that and the Nexus 5. Yeah that screen is better and it's got better specs than the moto, but the size has got me. I don't care for big phones. I understand that 5 inches is the norm for phones now a days, but I'm coming from an iPhone and the size of the moto x to the iPhone 5 is pretty similar. Also, the Moto X is as pure google as you can get without getting the Nexus 5, (so I'm told.) seeing that it has gotten the Kit Kat update.

Last edited:

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Car mode is pretty cool (it activates automatically while driving), and asks to read your messages. Only negative is that you can't respond via text using your voice, rather it sends a message letting the texter that you are driving.

This is incorrect..

I reply to text all day long everyday in my car.

Uncheck the automatically reply to texts option and touchless controls will allow you to reply by saying ok Google now text contact name message.

orangezebra

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

So I'm bored with my iPhone 5S but I'll be damned if it doesn't do everything I need it to do and does it very, very well. Notifications and the lock screen are very important to me and I flat out love the way iOS 7 does it. All of my notifications show on the lock screen and I can swipe to get to any of them. Fast, simple, and intuitive. All I have to do is touch either the home button or the lock button to see these. I can even read most of them (Mail, Text, etc.) right from the locks screen without having to unlock the phone at all. This is huge to me. I can access the notification shade from the lock screen too to see any pending notifications from earlier that I no longer see on the lock screen. And with the finger print scanner, I can bypass my work mandated pin in a half second to get right into anything.

Anyway, I am intrigued by the active notifications on the Moto X but I'm really struggling to see how this is better than the way iOS7 does it. I understand it blinks at me when I'm not touching it, but I still have to touch it to actually read the whole message from then lock screen. And my understanding is, I can only preview the last message anyway. And there's no longer a colored blinking LED (that I used to love with Light Flow, using different colors for different apps - very disappointing they are going away from this - why would they do this?). So it seems like I can do less than what I can do with iOS7. With either phone, I still have to touch the device. Am I wrong here? Am I missing something? Can I access the notification shade from the lock screen on the Moto X if I have a 6 digit pin?

I love everything I'm reading about the Moto X. But I'm thinking it might not even be worth it if the lock screen notifications don't work as nicely and extensively as they do on iOS7.

Any thoughts or insights from those coming from iOS or the iPhone 5S would be greatly appreciated.

Again, the Moto X just feels like the android device to own. I miss android but iOS7 does so many things easily. Can you tell I'm torn? :)

Thanks!

You can pull down the notification shade while a pin is set. You can also put widgets on the lock screen which basically giving you even fuller lock screen notifications.

And there's always dash clock.

The active notifications the moto x has are to me a step above anything that has come before.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Aaaaaah, you're Android/Moto-curious. Well, the Moto X is a great (re)entry point. Why not audition one for up to 13 days and return it if not duly impressed? I think its worth the $30-$35 audition fee.

N7

How do you go about getting the audition? :eek: Only a specific carrier or any?

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I think you're missing the best part of android. Lock screen doesn't work like you want out of the box? Download an app! And in this case, download the dashclock widget. You'll get the benefit of active notifications and then as soon as you turn the screen on, be able to see any notifications in full that you want before you actually unlock. And can action right to them. You're thinking through the restricted iOS lens.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
This is incorrect..

I reply to text all day long everyday in my car.

Uncheck the automatically reply to texts option and touchless controls will allow you to reply by saying ok Google now text contact name message.

Check out when that comment you're responding to was originally posted. When he posted that, you couldn't reply via voice. That ability has come in an update to Assist in the last few weeks. Now you can, but when he posted that, you couldn't.