01-13-2014 12:09 AM
73 123
tools
    Don't see anyone mentioning the camera. Everything about this phone should be fine for the next 2, maybe even 3yrs. I'm still using and loving my N4 and with ART, its as smooth as the day I got it.

But the one thing you'll notice is how poor the pictures will look as cameras in phones improve. Its bad enough the MX camera isn't that great to begin with. Maybe the Google camera API or updates from Motorola will alleviate that concern, but that'd be the one thing that concern me about "future proof" phones.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    01-08-2014 10:11 AM
    I dont take alot of pictures with my Moto X, the pictures I do take or not meant to be published.I do have Camera Awesome for when I want better pics then with the stock camera.
    I understand the stock camera isnt the best out there and if I took a bunch of pictures I might look at it a little different.Thats one reason I installed Camera Awesome at least it has more settings to adjust to try and improve picture.
    I know some people use the camera alot /sometimes as their only camera.
    When I do take pictures with my phone its just a quick shot of stuff I see to share with my friends ,alot of times the pictures taken dont even get transferred to my computer.
    Really thats how I used my camera on all my phones though.Actually no camera on any phone I had has impressed me to have given me the "Wow" factor .lol
    Actually I dont remember seeing pictures taken with others phones that make me want to go buy that phone because of the camera photo quality alone.
    But thats just my opinion.
    01-08-2014 10:35 AM
    I have a camera for taking pictures. That said, I think the camera could be improved without much cost. Doing this would bring more customers who only use their phones for taking pictures, rather than having a camera. I use Camera ZOOM FX as my default camera app and I think it helps the picture quality quite a bit.
    tbtregenza likes this.
    01-08-2014 01:43 PM
    Custom roms like CM are bad for phones like these peaches they remove features that prompted you to purchase in the first place.
    Peaches aside, this thread has convinced me the features this phone's hardware allows should keep me satiated for the next 2 years. Now the big decision is whether to buy off-contract (since there has been a significant price drop) or use my VZ upgrade. Anyone have any opinions on this?
    01-08-2014 04:08 PM
    Peaches aside, this thread has convinced me the features this phone's hardware allows should keep me satiated for the next 2 years. Now the big decision is whether to buy off-contract (since there has been a significant price drop) or use my VZ upgrade. Anyone have any opinions on this?
    You don't have to worry as much about whether it's future proof if you don't use your upgrade...
    tbtregenza likes this.
    01-08-2014 04:11 PM
    I meant "devices as". Must have forgot the space and my phone replaced it as a result :-)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    01-08-2014 04:22 PM
    +1. I have always used my phone cameras the same way. Even my Nikon Coolpix point and shoot blows away any camera phone.

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X
    01-08-2014 04:45 PM
    I've kind of got the same concern right now. My current phone is starting to be on it's way out, and I'm possibly looking to upgrade soon. I want to get the Moto X, as it's probably the best phone for me that's out right now. I'm worried though that they're gonna come out with a 2.0 version months later. I guess it should be fine since it just got Kit Kat, so it'll be the best out there for a while.
    01-08-2014 05:13 PM
    I've kind of got the same concern right now. My current phone is starting to be on it's way out, and I'm possibly looking to upgrade soon. I want to get the Moto X, as it's probably the best phone for me that's out right now. I'm worried though that they're gonna come out with a 2.0 version months later. I guess it should be fine since it just got Kit Kat, so it'll be the best out there for a while.
    My guess is you will not see the follow up to the Moto X until at least July, probably August.
    01-08-2014 06:10 PM
    I'm worried though that they're gonna come out with a 2.0 version months later.
    There's certainly be an updated version, but it likely won't launch until late summer/early fall. That's when Motorola tends to announce new flagships.
    01-08-2014 06:24 PM
    Because phone has been released in August 2013 and almost 5 month later there is still no active development on XDA. (compared to Galaxy series, Nexus, or other HTC devices that I used) All kernel developers said NO to Moto X

Its bugged and actually removes features that make Moto X good.

If I wanted dev friendly phone, Moto X would be the LAST on my list so far I only rely on Motorola team to provide me with updates. I have high hopes for Jan/Feb release of 4.4.2 along with camera update. If they fail, I will get N5 instead.
    Expect the lack of development to change very quickly due to the recent permanent price drop. The new 399 price point makes this phone much more desirable now.

Porting roms to the Moto X will also be much easier than devices like the galaxy s4, htc one etc, because for the most part it already runs an AOSP base. The CM mms app actually works unmodified right on the stock rom including MMS support. Try doing that on the stock roms of the HTC One or the Galaxy S4. It won't work.
    01-08-2014 07:05 PM
    Whelp, went out and ordered one, should be here on Monday. I need a new phone; the insurance company wanted me to pay $199 for a replacement HTC One X. For less than that I got the 32 GB Moto X and a case. Regardless of what comes out, I think it's the best phone for me right now.
    01-08-2014 08:59 PM
    Expect the lack of development to change very quickly due to the recent permanent price drop. The new 399 price point makes this phone much more desirable now.

Porting roms to the Moto X will also be much easier than devices like the galaxy s4, htc one etc, because for the most part it already runs an AOSP base. The CM mms app actually works unmodified right on the stock rom including MMS support. Try doing that on the stock roms of the HTC One or the Galaxy S4. It won't work.
    I doubt it. People that really wanted the phone already bought it for $350 when it was on sale 3 times now. At $400 its still $50 more then Nexus 5
    01-08-2014 10:48 PM
    Personally, I would buy the X off contract. That way, if something catastrophic happens not covered by the warranty or if something else better comes along, then you can use your upgrade at that time.
    tbtregenza likes this.
    01-08-2014 11:03 PM
    When now phones come out, they don't make your existing phone any worse.But if you will be unhappy unless you are running the latest greatest phone, you should stick to phones with decent resale value, so you can trade up when new phones come on the market.
    01-10-2014 12:43 PM
    I hated the LED light,....blink.. blink.. blinking got on my nerves.At nighttime if I woke looked at phone it was like a strobe light blinking away, so I Always disabled it on all my previous phones within hours of having phone with an LED light.But I didnt like the LED light when I was awake either, the LED light is sooo 2009
    I love the active display I always have it active always
    Some LEDs are more aggressive than others. The blinking LED on my husband's Galaxy S4 drives me nuts, because it lights up the whole bedroom as it blinks. I miss the much dimmer, non-blinking LED of my Photon.
    01-10-2014 12:52 PM
    I think the camera on the moto x is better than the s3...which is what I was on before. This thing was a champ during the holidays. I will say... Just keep sure u clean the lens off before taking a picture... That was a problem but I carry a micro-fiber cleaning cloth with me at all times. When I cleaned it... It took awesome pics

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X DE
    01-10-2014 07:31 PM
    I think the camera on the moto x is better than the s3...which is what I was on before. This thing was a champ during the holidays. I will say... Just keep sure u clean the lens off before taking a picture... That was a problem but I carry a micro-fiber cleaning cloth with me at all times. When I cleaned it... It took awesome pics

Posted via Android Central App on my Moto X DE
    I also made the switch from the S3 to the Moto X and my experience has been different. The photos taken with my S3 were superior to my Moto X, especially under low-light conditions. Outdoors, they're about the same but the colors on the S3 seemed generally more vivid, if less realistic.

The Moto X camera isn't hopeless, but it's just not as good as my S3.
    01-10-2014 10:33 PM
    I dunno... Maybe I just wasn't able to use the camera right on my s3. I loved my s3 but he'll if I can get the last ota over wifi. But alas I don't use that phone anymore. I really like my moto x vs the s3 tho. There's a lot more things this thing can do.

Posted via Android Central App
    01-11-2014 12:15 AM
    Nothing is future proof, absolutely nothing...

Enviado desde mi XT1058 usando Tapatalk 2
    jephanie likes this.
    01-11-2014 08:59 AM
    I don't get what's so great about active displays. How is it better than having a multi-colored led to give notifications?

I like the phone well enough, but I wish I could have wireless charging. Boy do I miss that. I was able to buy parts to make my husband's G4 work with a Qi charger, but there doesn't seem to be any good wireless charging for the Moto X.
    Is a feature you have to use on a daily basis to enjoy.

01-11-2014 11:20 AM
    I didn't read the whole thread, but just wanted to pop-in and provide my input. In my opinion, the phone or device is only as future proof as your needs are. Yes, technology changes and continues to evolve. Will the current device support tomorrows trends? We don't know. But as long as you are able to still use the device to it's fullest potential and it meets your basic needs then all should be good.
    UJ95x and ki11ak3nn like this.
    01-11-2014 01:32 PM
    Is a feature you have to use on a daily basis to enjoy.

Exactly I love active notifications I just press the screen and it shows me the message if I want to answer or not it's probably the best feature of the phone

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X
    01-13-2014 12:09 AM
73 123