Odd Battery Drainage

Brian Ney

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I have had my Moto X (Verizon) since just before Christmas, and over the last week, I have noticed the battery has been draining quite quickly. On Thursday I went for a walk, and when I left, it had around 40%, I had it connected to Bluetooth headphones, and was listening to a podcast. Within 30 minutes, I got a the low battery signal, and within a few minutes of that, the phone shut down. I had used these headphones and this podcast app several times before, and never had this happen.

Then today, I charged the phone overnight and unplugged it from the charger around 6:30 this morning, and used it moderately throughout the day, no differently than any other weekend day, and at around 7:00 this evening, I was at 2%, which is really odd. Normally, I would still be at 40-45% at that point in the day. Then, I used it a little more, and it went to 1%. I decided to let the phone drain completely before plugging it into the charger and set it down and walked away. I just checked it, it is now showing 4%.

Any thoughts? Should I contact Motorola about replacing the phone if the battery is acting up?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

-Brian

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! A good start would be to post your battery stats screen (which shows a breakdown of what apps and services are using what percentage of battery), and the Cell Standby screen (which shows you the % time without signal, since poor cell signal can eat up battery life).

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
To add to B. Diddy's post, a screenshot of the graph is helpful as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Do you normally leave your WiFi on all the time? I also noticed a not so wonderful cell signal. Is that normal as well?

From a Moto X using AC Forums app

4runnerbrett

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Try turning your phone off and before pulling it off the charger tomorrow and see how your battery does.
The signal also is bad which I drains it faster. Along with the Bluetooth and any thing else.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
My best guess with limited info (like what apps you have) is that it's due to 1) partial wakelocks (lots of awake time with your screen off) 2) Poor signal.

Brian Ney

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tips / feedback. I ended up uninstalling a bunch of apps and cleaning up the phone. It seems better now so it must have been something I had put on... My initial hunch is it was an app called "Settings Extensions" that was causing some excess battery usage...

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
I would also watch your Android OS percentage. That's an indicator of a rogue app using up your battery. Somewhere in the 17- 20% range depending on your usage. GPS will also use up the daily battery cycle if you have it on high accuracy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699