T-Mobile $30 Plan and Google Hangouts Dialer (google voice)

seagood3

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I got very excited with the new dialer and everyone saying that this will breath new life into the $30 plan since you can use the hangouts dialer for all calling. I got everything situated and started making all of my calls via google voice. Then all of a sudden - out of minutes. Wasn't sure if I had made other calls so I put $10 in and only used google voice for a day and then checked this morning and down to $3.

I chatted with support and they said that on the pre-paid plans VOIP and Wifi calling all use the minutes, but on the post paid plans it would work.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to accomplish this by rooting or a setting I am missing?

HELP!

vor

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Google removed the ability to make Voice work over Voip about 6 mos ago I think. There was an app called GrooveIP that used to do it, but no longer. Minutes are Minutes

You may still be able to use something like Vonage but I don't know. Check the Tmo $30 PPD thread on XDA for better ideas

joeynumbers

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
You guys should consider getting a moto x with republic wireless. $28/ month (including taxes & fees) gets you unlimited calling texting and 3g. This way you don't have to worry about using your minutes while WiFi calling.

Get a $20/credit too if you use this:

http://rwshar.es/5nzl

I usually don't spam my referral link but I really believe you guys can benefit from this. I use to be on the $30 T-Mobile plan and Republic Wireless is a much better deal.

Posted via the Android Central App

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
This does not make any sense to me. The new hangouts with dialer DOES allow voIP. It should work to do wifi calling through google hangouts

I just set my phone on airplane mode and made a call to my work phone via wifi. Worked. I also just turned on my old galaxy S3 (no sim) to call my moto x att number. No service need, just wifi

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you are calling from within the hangout apps (with dialer) over data/wifi using your google voice number. Use your google voice number as your primary number. Use it to txt/call and you should have unlimited in the US

titetanium

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm a little confused about T-Mobile's WiFi calling vs Republic WiFi calling. From what the OP is saying, on prepaid, tmo WiFi calling uses minutes but GV/hangouts VOIP shouldn't. How is tmo able to charge for VOIP and link it to minutes? WiFi and VOIP are data only, so how are they getting the minutes from the data stream?

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm guessing some setting is not correct. Having his stock phone/dialer call a google number and then that google calling the party OP is trying to reach. Instead the OP should be calling from the hangout apps with GV # directly to other party via wifi or data. No minutes ever should be used.

In regards to moto x not supporting wifi calling. I think there is a confusion about t-mobile's wifi calling feature (not voIP) and google's hangout voIP feature.

RizaHawkeye

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
You guys should consider getting a moto x with republic wireless. $28/ month (including taxes & fees) gets you unlimited calling texting and 3g. This way you don't have to worry about using your minutes while WiFi calling.

Get a $20/credit too if you use this:

http://rwshar.es/5nzl

I usually don't spam my referral link but I really believe you guys can benefit from this. I use to be on the $30 T-Mobile plan and Republic Wireless is a much better deal.

Posted via the Android Central App

I'd like to. Republic Wireless seems like a much better deal than T-Mobile. I'd switch in a heartbeat with my Nexus 5 if they supported it.

TheColdOne

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm 100% that the $30/month T-Mobile Unlimited Text/Data plan works fine with VoIP through Google Hangouts with Voice Dialer.

I have been on it for two weeks, made tons of calls, and only have 14 minutes racked up and barely over 600MB used. Those 14 minutes came from setting up my voicemail on the new number (which I do not use) and checking voicemail from wrong-number calls. I even disabled the dialer app since I don't use that number, and will strictly use data.

I get great reception with full LTE signal in my area (Orange County, CA), so this works perfectly for me.

$30 for essentially unlimited everything, plus 30-80Mbps internet? Yes please.

I did this as a trial before going to Straight Talk, and I am sticking with T-Mobile and my Nexus 5.

Esmail Beguwala

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
I have been using the same combo as you (30$ 5GB and unlimited text with 100 mins voice) and I use the dialer within the hangouts app and I am able to make pure data calls without any minutes being deducted from my main account. Just dont use the stock dialer and you should be good to go.

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the latest Hangouts, Voice, Hangouts Dialer, etc. and I cannot find the setting to use my google voice # instead of my T-Mo number. I've seen instructions that say go to Hangouts > Settings > SMS and choose your GV #. I do not have any option to do that on the SMS settings screen. Would someone please clarify how to use the GV# from Hangouts?

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the latest Hangouts, Voice, Hangouts Dialer, etc. and I cannot find the setting to use my google voice # instead of my T-Mo number. I've seen instructions that say go to Hangouts > Settings > SMS and choose your GV #. I do not have any option to do that on the SMS settings screen. Would someone please clarify how to use the GV# from Hangouts?

That is simply for those who have merged hangouts with texting. You could choose to reply from GV#, carrier #, or hangouts.

To make a call with hangouts, first make sure you have all settings on your GV forwarding correctly set up. This must be done on a PC. Make sure you have the latest hangouts app and hangouts dialer. Google voice app not necessary. Click on hangout dialer, dial number and click call. Alternatively you could select a message from within hangouts and click the call button. You will be prompted with 2 options. Call from hangouts using data/wifi or call from carrier using minutes.

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
What settings look like:
Google voice on destktop
L85IS15.png

Dialing from within hangouts
F8RGZ6T.png

You know it is a hangouts call when you see the icon on top left
6mcCe62.png

Alternative way to initiate a call via conversation thread
wBSFBh8.png

Groid

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
OK, thanks for the info, but I had already merged voice/hangouts, set hangouts as default sms, have had google voice setup for 2 years and have the dialer. My online GV settings show my email for Chat and I set my phone to receive text messages, but not notify me by text of new voicemails. Even though I couldn't find where to choose which number (GV or carrier) a hangouts dial uses, I tried making a hangouts call to my home phone. The caller ID showed my GV number. Then I turned on airplane mode, with wifi and data enabled, but could not call (check your network connectivity and try again.)

I guess I can live with the $50 unlimited text, calls and 1GB data. Just wish I understood how to make hangouts calls without cell connection.

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
The Hangouts Dialer will only use your Google Voice number - it cannot make calls using of your cellular number.
The old Google Voice dialer, if still installed, can make calls using either your Google Voice number or your cellular number. The Google Voice dialer still makes use of the cellular network for calls.
As for why it won't work in Airplane mode I cannot explain. I just set my Verizon Moto X to Airplane mode, enabled WiFi (since by default in Airplane mode all radios are disabled) and then made a call from the Hangouts dialer to my office phone successfully.

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
The Hangouts Dialer will only use your Google Voice number - it cannot make calls using of your cellular number.
The old Google Voice dialer, if still installed, can make calls using either your Google Voice number or your cellular number. The Google Voice dialer still makes use of the cellular network for calls.
As for why it won't work in Airplane mode I cannot explain. I just set my Verizon Moto X to Airplane mode, enabled WiFi (since by default in Airplane mode all radios are disabled) and then made a call from the Hangouts dialer to my office phone successfully.
I just confirmed this too. Made a call in Airplane Mode(WIFI enabled) to my office phone using hangouts dialer. Worked fine. I am on AT&T.

WCM3

Mar 12, 2011
Visit site
What about the reverse? I can make calls from my G3 on the Hangouts Dialer, but when I call the Google Voice number from my work phone nothing happens. Then a voicemail shows up from the call.

sfringer

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
What about the reverse? I can make calls from my G3 on the Hangouts Dialer, but when I call the Google Voice number from my work phone nothing happens. Then a voicemail shows up from the call.

In the Hangouts Settings>Google Voice account there's an option "Incoming phone calls" under "GOOGLE VOICE - (###-###-####)". Ensure that is checked, that will cause Google Voice calls to ring the Hangouts app. (Sorry, can't remember the default).

Scott