Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Style?

Keep in mind this phone hasn't even arrived yet before you make decisive conclusions

I hear ya, and we know we're nitpicking and the Style certainly hasn't been crossed off the list, far from it. That said, I don't need a review or real world experience to tell me a 3600 mAh battery is better than a 3000 mAh. First world problems, I know!

Posted via the Android Central App

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

100% This. Put it this way: How in the world can Motorola justify putting the smaller battery in the phone with the larger, more power-hungry QHD display? Ok, I get the fact that the Moto X Play is Motorola's answer to the S6 Active, but think about it: if you're on the go and truly ACTIVE, you wouldn't necessarily be using the phone every second. By active, I take it to mean that when on the go and you do need to use the phone, you'll have enough juice to get through the day.

Now, with phablets like the Moto X Style, Motorola talks about wanting to make the phone bigger in screen size so users can have a more immersive experience. Well, hello, Moto! (pun intended) Immersive experiences on a phablet involve video watching and game or music playing, which are the chief battery drainers! How does Motorola not know that? But this was my fear with this phone, and is my fear with phones in general: going with the gimmick. An FHD screen and 3,630 mAh battery makes much more sense in the Moto X Style, not the Moto X Play.

Even if someone wanted to get the Play over the Style, you can't even get it here in the U. S., at least initially, if at all. To me, the Moto X Style, or Moto X Pure Edition as it will be called in the U. S., is a slightly smaller Nexus 6, with Moto features. And while yes, that sounds good, if you compare the two phones, spec-wise, I believe they offset each other. The difference I see in the Nexus 6's favor is that it has less pixels to push, which is a bit easier on the battery.

With the Moto X Style, I realistically see no more than 3.5-4 hours SOT, at most.

I was excited when I heard the Play specs and instantly said this is my next phone only to then be utterly destroyed to find out that I can't even buy or use the stupid thing.

That said it is semi a mid range phone and I don't see it as competition to the S6 active. I can see this thing selling REALLY well in certain countries. Assuming the price is about $299 like some have rumored it to be.

I would loved the child of these two devices.....Play - screen/battery....Style - processor/speakers.

hits: pure, unlocked, SD, build quality/customizations, price, that "cool factor" that just can't be described, front speakers

miss: iOS, battery size

The 3000 mAh battery was disappointing to say the least. IOS, fingerprint scanner, USB-C I can live without. The battery left me with some doubt, and there's enough time from now and September for another phone (Nexus comes to mind) to win me over.

That said, a pure unlocked phone with the best UX in the business with a premium build quality for only $399? I mean, that's just amazing and I'm happy a lot of people are gonna enjoy this phone for the next 24-36 months!

I think this not running IOS is probably the biggest hit it has going for it. :D

I really don't understand why one of these companies can't make the perfect smartphone. Moto is so close. Why make the Moto X a phablet, like the Nexus? Why not include OIS? Why put a bigger battery in the play edition? I would rather pay an extra $100 and have the OIS and bigger battery.

I'm assuming they have figures that us ppl who sit on our phones all day do not have. I mean look at the G4 and S6....both have semi mini ish batteries. Sure there are complainers from ppl on the internet but how many regular ppl do not buy or return one of these phones due to poor battery life? I don't have those figures.....I'm guessing maybe these companies do. I sure hope they improve it for next year or maybe even this year if we see another Maxx/Turbo line. But considering the flagships right now.....this isn't out of the realm of what is out there.

It could have been better and I agree that I would have paid another $100 for a big battery and OIS. But if you make the perfect phone then there is no reason to come back next year.

I would love to know what they have in this thing though.....I mean it's a BIG phone and it's heavy but the battery is small. I don't know what is taking up all that space.

beaner b

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site

Exactly. Once again, we see a company favoring style (no pun intended) over substance. For me, substance entails a more than adequate FHD AMOLED screen, 3,600-4,000 mAh battery, and dual front stereo speakers. I'm now pinning my hopes on the Nexus devices; specifically the Huawei Nexus, since they prefer FHD screens. Hopefully Google allows them to use it over a QHD screen. Give me that, a 4,000 mAh battery, and at least the good and loud HiFi speaker that Huawei is known to use on the bottom, (if not dual front stereo), and I'm set.

I'm wondering about that bottom (rear?) speaker too. after using the nexus 6, I don't want to go back to sticking my phone in a cereal bowl ( or whatever is handy) just so i can hear the damn thing.
and I hope it has a brighter screen than I've heard the Mate 7 has.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I wish it didn't have an SD card slot, but otherwise feels like they're giving LG a run for their money as best phone do far on 2015.

M Dev Nexus 6 Assassin Edition. Gonfaloniere

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I wish it didn't have an SD card slot, but otherwise feels like they're giving LG a run for their money as best phone do far on 2015.

I'm curious about that.....I've heard quite a few ppl say that the SD card was an option in Moto maker but it just kinda seems based on the specs that it's in every phone. So I'm not sure where that confusion is from.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I think that it is default in all devices.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site

Just too, too big for me. I wish some vendor would offer us a choice: the same high-end specs, in both a ~5" screen and phablet screen like this one. Not everyone has Shaq hands.

Anthony_NE

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site

Motorola is really focusing on something that everyone is missing. That is, choosing to go direct to consumer. Bypassing carriers in the US is a huge disruptor. By going down this road, end user price became very important, and as such there were things that needed to be left out. Namely fingerprint scanners, USB-c, and wireless charging because even if the lack of these features may be a deal breaker for you, it is not for the majority. They certainly could have included all of the goodies just not anywhere near the current price point. I applaud this move with vigor, I just really wish it was 5.5 or smaller.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

G, Z compact, M9, rumored LG Nexus, S6, iPhone 6, last year's X... I think the options in the 5" range are there.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Style?

whoa! How is 3000 too SMALL?

The Note 4 has a more efficient tech for it's display and has 220 more mah. Seems ironic the smaller Moto X also releasing has 1080p display and 3630 mah battery. Even the media is saying this seems very odd. The 808 chipset is also not exactly power frugal and consumes the same power as the 805 in the Note 4. All things constant, this suggests battery life might be a challenge for a 1440p LCD display and 3000 mah battery.

I will take a trivial guess and say similar screen on use with the Moto X could be at least 2.5 hours less than the Note 4. That depends on how much power the LCD pixels take to light up, but Moto does not have their own LCD production. Moto farms out, so less chance of something power innovative we have not seen yet. LCD sucks more power.

Last edited:

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Motorola is really focusing on something that everyone is missing. That is, choosing to go direct to consumer. Bypassing carriers in the US is a huge disruptor. By going down this road, end user price became very important, and as such there were things that needed to be left out. Namely fingerprint scanners, USB-c, and wireless charging because even if the lack of these features may be a deal breaker for you, it is not for the majority. They certainly could have included all of the goodies just not anywhere near the current price point. I applaud this move with vigor, I just really wish it was 5.5 or smaller.

I don't think people are missing this point, and not sure USB-C would cost extra, but I honestly don't know. To your point, hopefully today will be remembered as a shift in the way consumers buy phones in the states. I'm definitely grateful that Moto/Lenovo went out on a limb here and went this route. It's a huge risk for them that's gonna take time, but I hope for both their sake and ours, buyers become a bit more educated and comfortable buying phones this way. The problem is though, and I can only speak for the US, is people want things now and they want what stuff they can't afford. Instead of throwing $50 in a savings account every paycheck, then buying something outright, they'd rather get it immediately and pay the interest. Sad but true ... hopefully this will shake things up a bit.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I'm sure for some, the lack of USB-C and a fingerprint scanner is a disappointment, no doubt. But from what I've seen for the most part today, the majority of people are truly focused on five things:

1. The size (too big for some)
2. TFT over AMOLED (the latter being more energy efficient)
3. QHD over FHD (again, the latter being more energy efficient)
4. Processor
5. The SMALL battery size, as it relates to powering what will no doubt be a power-hungry phone.

I have to agree. To me, these are the core things that any company should NOT skimp on, under any circumstances.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

The Note 4 has a more efficient tech for it's display and has 220 more mah. Seems ironic the smaller Moto X also releasing has 1080p display and 3630 mah battery. Even the media is saying this seems very odd. The 808 chipset is also not exactly power frugal and consumes the same power as the 805 in the Note 4. All things constant, this suggests battery life might be a challenge for a 1440p LCD display and 300 mah battery.

I will take a trivial guess and say similar screen on use with the Moto X could be at least 2.5 hours less than the Note 4. That depends on how much power the LCD pixels take to light up, but Moto does not have their own LCD production. Moto farms out, so less chance of something power innovative we have not seen yet. LCD sucks more power.

perfectly stated. I was golfing this morning and raised my arms in jubilation when I saw "3620 mAh" on my screen during the live stream ... only to quickly be let down to the realization that was on a phone we'll never see in the US ... unless of course we want bloat/branding on the VZ Droid!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm sure for some, the lack of USB-C and a fingerprint scanner is a disappointment, no doubt. But from what I've seen for the most part today, the majority of people are truly focused on five things:

2. TFT over AMOLED
3. QHD over FHD
4. Processor
5. The SMALL battery size, as it relates to powering what will no doubt be a power-hungry phone.

I have to agree. To me, these are the core things that any company should NOT skimp on, under any circumstances.

I think that the 808 is a better call than the 810, even v2.1. Battery and screen are question marks here for me, size is fine since I'm on nexus but I understand people loved the 2013 and there is still a market for more manageable sizes. Honestly this device seems like a huge win for them, giving LG its first serious challenge (potentially). Bring on the reviews and preorders 😛👽

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
I think that the 808 is a better call than the 810, even v2.1. Battery and screen are question marks here for me, size is fine since I'm on nexus but I understand people loved the 2013 and there is still a market for more manageable sizes. Honestly this device seems like a huge win for them, giving LG its first serious challenge (potentially). Bring on the reviews and preorders 😛👽

Personally I agree with you. My issue isn't the screen size at all, but the other points I adressed. I will say, though, that for what it is, and the starting price point, it will be worth it to those that take the plunge. People will just have to keep in mind that you get what you pay for.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Bloat can be frozen now so that's an old saw. The hero device from this will be the love child of the style and play, the Verizon exclusive droid I expect.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

2. TFT over AMOLED (the latter being more energy efficient)
3. QHD over FHD (again, the latter being more energy efficient)
4. Processor

size, screen and battery ... yup, those are definitely the top 3, and they really go hand in hand. personally a 1080p 5.5" display and 3600 mAh battery would've had me doing back flips ... the SD card, price, front facing speakers and pure/unlocked absolutely blew me away though.

for me, it's gonna come down to the Nexus. of either the rumored 5.2" or 5.7" version has a battery (say 3200 on the 5.2" and 3500 on the 5.7") that'll seal the deal. If it's got the same features, battery included, and has a USB-C and fingerprint scanner, I'll go with the Nexus too. If the battery is smaller (relative to display size, which isn't a perfect science, so I'll have to rely on real world usage testing and good ol gut instinct) I'll go with the Moto Style.

All things being equal, I'd go with the Nexus though. As much as I adore Motorola, and love the UX, the Nexus will be running M and I'll know I'm good on updates. Price won't be a factor, unless the Nexus is ridiculously overpriced, which I don't see. Not to sound snobby, and trust me, I don't have the cash to burn, but I need to replace my Nexus 4 and S4, and have been patiently waiting for something that really fits my needs. I intend on getting 30-36 months minimum out of my next two phones, so I'm not gonna let $100-$200 get in my way. I'll also be considering the Note 5, Edge+, One+ but realistically I'll probably just grab one in 2015 then wait until 2016 since it's a work phone for a seasonal business (that doesn't operate in the winter).

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Bloat can be frozen now so that's an old saw. The hero device from this will be the love child of the style and play, the Verizon exclusive droid I expect.

the carrier branding honestly doesn't bother me. who doesn't love a nice looking phone, but at the end of the day I really don't care about what my phone looks like or has written on it.

but when u say "bloat can be frozen" what exactly do you mean? I've never owned a Droid, but assumed it would be loaded with VZ bloat. I know a lot of it could be disabled, but are you saying that every single thing they put on it can be removed? I'd still prefer unlocked/stock, but I'm just curious if this is true. Thanks!

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

The Style is already the heavier than the Play and the Turbo despite their massive batteries. Add 630mah capacity to the Style and it would probably be heavier than the 6.49oz/184g Nexus 6 (code-named Shamu during pre-production.)

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

It can be disabled at least where it's not using resources, but it can't be removed so it does take up some space unless the phone is rooted.