Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Ostensibly, that's great.

I wish, everyone would wish all OEM's would follow.

.... but aren't Motorola cutting their own throat. Have they alienated the carriers?
They must have done the math.

------
What does ostensibly mean?

We don't know.....It's possible they offered the Style to all the carriers and all of them decided to pass because of how poorly their Moto phones have sold in the past and this was their contingency plan to get around that. Maybe Lenovo thought it would be a great idea, maybe it was to cut costs, maybe they have something similar going to carriers with a different name and different specs.

When it comes down to it though carriers are about making sure you use their service and in order to use that service their customers will need a phone. So if they came back next year with a good deal for the carriers then they will probably sign back up for Moto. I don't think the Style will be enough profit loss for carriers to care a whole bunch.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
We don't know.....It's possible they offered the Style to all the carriers and all of them decided to pass because of how poorly their Moto phones have sold in the past and this was their contingency plan to get around that. Maybe Lenovo thought it would be a great idea, maybe it was to cut costs, maybe they have something similar going to carriers with a different name and different specs.

When it comes down to it though carriers are about making sure you use their service and in order to use that service their customers will need a phone. So if they came back next year with a good deal for the carriers then they will probably sign back up for Moto. I don't think the Style will be enough profit loss for carriers to care a whole bunch.
Good thinking. Things might change in the short term if the Style sells well (and it should). Carriers may want to include it rather than lose 2 year contracts to sim plans, or there will be a Droid version as said.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Good thinking. Things might change in the short term if the Style sells well (and it should). Carriers may want to include it rather than lose 2 year contracts to sim plans, or there will be a Droid version as said.

I'm hoping it sells well...But I'm skeptical that it will. Motorola's problem is going to be advertising this thing. It'll be interesting to see if they'll pump money into marketing and if they do....How do they go about doing that? There are people who know about budget shopping for phones online vs going to carriers....but those ppl are few and far between. They not only needed to make a good phone but to educate ppl that it's in their best interest to buy from them vs walking into a carrier store, and idk how well it'll go.

The other problem with this phone(For the carriers)is that carriers don't want their customers to know that they can take their phone to any other company. It's the carriers job to try to keep you on their network and paying that bill as long as you can and the easiest way for them to do that is for someone to be handcuffed by an expensive phone that can't be used anywhere they want.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes - of course. Just wonder if the non - Pure edition has less bands.

It's a game changer for the US.
It will sell purely on a) price and b) works with any carrier. Specs are flagship level, just many won't like the size.

Most phones here in the UK are available unlocked from Amazon etc and will work on the major carriers, though one of a carriers bands may be missing. Still I imagine well over 50% will still buy a carrier version on contract, often with far less data.

So I don't think US customers can carry the trophy for being lemmings when they have less choice than we do.

cboyer

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Size is perfect. I love my Nexus 6, but it can be a little hard to hold sometimes. The only thing this phone is missing is USB type C.

mttmks

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Style?

I might JUST be able to handle it, but it'll have to go nekkid, no case. I wonder if the backs are user-swappable...

I might put a skin with some texture if I can't hold on to the phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

adamgalas1

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
I'm really hoping that Qualcomm keeps upgrading their quickcharge tech. If next year sees a USB 3.1 Type C (which has faster charging) + quickcharge 3.0 then we might see 12 hours of battery life from a 10 minute charge which would be sweet. Coming from a Nexus 6 I can't speak more highly of the awesomeness of turbocharging.

Periodically you read about advances in battery tech and how things like silicon anadoes and graphene promise 10x the energy density which would potentially mean a 30,000 mAh battery and the ability to charge from empty to full in like 5 minutes.

I'm firmly on board with both greater battery capacity and faster charging so I'm looking forward to 4000+ mAH batteries and an ability to go from 0% to full in under an hour.

That's especially important since heavy daily use can wreak havoc on battery capacity.

Case in point my ex-wife used her Note 3 for work (engineer) and constantly had advanced computer programs running in the background and even with a ZeroLemon battery within 1.5 years her battery life was down to 12 hours on a 10000 mAh battery.

I'm on a Nexus 6 and I use it to watch TV shows and movies and after daily use, and multiple fastcharges per day, after just 5 months my battery life has gone from 6.5 hours of max brightness screen on time to 3.5 hours.

I'm constantly relying on an external battery and while I'm cool with that I do miss replaceable batteries and imagine that after 3 years my Nexus 6 might be down to just a single hour of max brightness screen on time.

Being able to recharge to full in under an hour (plus great external batteries) will let me make the most of my Nexus 6, but if future phones could pack in 2, 3, or even 4x the charge and fill up in 30 min or less, well that would be swell.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

Has Motorola explicitly stated that the "Style" would not be available via carriers? So far, everything I've seen points out the hype that they plan on offering it unlocked as the "Pure Edition" for cheap but I haven't seen them say "you can't get it from carriers." If they do offer through carriers, it would potentially by free or cheap on contract as opposed to $200 like the other flagships. I just can't recall seeing them clearly state that you would never be able to acquire it through a carrier.
My bet is yes after this initial no carrier period is done. Even nexus can be bought from carriers after a certain amount of time. Just won't be the PE

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Re: Thoughts on the Moto X Style?

I'm gonna buy it. I'll pay off my 2014, stick it in a drawer as a back up and rock the 2015. Unless the next nexus runs on Verizon and blows me away, there's no other phones out that interest me. Also, I don't think I could go back to NOT having active display and all of the nice software touches moto does. They've hooked me in that's for sure.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm really hoping that Qualcomm keeps upgrading their quickcharge tech. If next year sees a USB 3.1 Type C (which has faster charging) + quickcharge 3.0 then we might see 12 hours of battery life from a 10 minute charge which would be sweet. Coming from a Nexus 6 I can't speak more highly of the awesomeness of turbocharging.

Periodically you read about advances in battery tech and how things like silicon anadoes and graphene promise 10x the energy density which would potentially mean a 30,000 mAh battery and the ability to charge from empty to full in like 5 minutes.

I'm firmly on board with both greater battery capacity and faster charging so I'm looking forward to 4000+ mAH batteries and an ability to go from 0% to full in under an hour.

That's especially important since heavy daily use can wreak havoc on battery capacity.

Case in point my ex-wife used her Note 3 for work (engineer) and constantly had advanced computer programs running in the background and even with a ZeroLemon battery within 1.5 years her battery life was down to 12 hours on a 10000 mAh battery.

I'm on a Nexus 6 and I use it to watch TV shows and movies and after daily use, and multiple fastcharges per day, after just 5 months my battery life has gone from 6.5 hours of max brightness screen on time to 3.5 hours.

I'm constantly relying on an external battery and while I'm cool with that I do miss replaceable batteries and imagine that after 3 years my Nexus 6 might be down to just a single hour of max brightness screen on time.

Being able to recharge to full in under an hour (plus great external batteries) will let me make the most of my Nexus 6, but if future phones could pack in 2, 3, or even 4x the charge and fill up in 30 min or less, well that would be swell.

I feel like we've been hearing about longer lasting batteries for years now, but I still can't find a phone that lasts the day with heavy usage. moving forward I'm not upgrading phones for higher resolution displays or faster processors. innovation in battery tech would definitely be something I'd upgrade for, and I'd gladly pay a premium for it. I subscribe to "Sound & Vision" and read about micro speakers/amps and how a lot of R&D is being allocated towards delivering a much higher quality audio experience. Again, another innovation that would get my attention and I'd certainly welcome. Until I see real innovation, specifically involving battery/audio, I intend on keeping phones for 36 months minimum.

ETPhoneHomeT

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site

I didn't like the move up from 4.7" to 5.2"....but have gotten used to it. Don't like the move up from 5.2" to 5.7"....but could maybe get used to it. I would have preferred a 5.2" or smaller variant with 1080p and 3,000 or larger mAh battery and AMOLED display. For a smartphone, my preference would be ergonomically and battery friendly...not having to worry about making it through one day on a single charge. Increase to 3,000 mAh is nice, but seems like that benefit could be negated by larger QHD display and move from AMOLED to LCD. If I want larger screen real estate, I pull out my N7.

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site

After Moto rushed the 5.0 update, my 2014 X's battery life went in the toilet, so I switched to the Nexus 6. I was worried that it would be too big, but it only took about an hour to get used to the larger screen size. I love the N6, but I really miss the X's enhancements. So, the 2015 Pure Edition is pretty much the ideal phone for me at this point. I may not pre-order, but I will definitely buy it and relegate the N6 to backup duty and Android M tinkering.

Also, the 5.0 update left me really concerned about timeliness and quality of future software updates under Lenovo's umbrella. However, the 5.1 update has remedied all of that. After 5.1, I gave the 2014 X to my wife to finally get her away from her iPhone. She loves it, and battery life is leaps and bounds better than it was after 5.0.

Moto is going to have to screw up royally to lose me as an X user going forward.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
A miss for me is the size. Motorola does a great job with all the Moto Xs making them seem smaller than what the screen size suggests.

But people buy big phones so it makes business sense for Motorola.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Moto X Style A really nice phone!

Can't wait to see real world camera samples.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't mind the increase in size as its still at least way smaller than the Nexus 6 which was way too big.

I do wish they had come up with some sort of one handed mode though. Maybe some sort of gesture to shrink the screen a bit. Of they had done that it would be perfect. Honestly I'm surprised Google hasn't done that as part of stock Android yet either.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't mind the increase in size as its still at least way smaller than the Nexus 6 which was way too big.

I do wish they had come up with some sort of one handed mode though. Maybe some sort of gesture to shrink the screen a bit. Of they had done that it would be perfect. Honestly I'm surprised Google hasn't done that as part of stock Android yet either.

agreed, I'd have thought by now with all the phablets we see nowadays Android would've done more to provide friendlier experience given the extra real estate. I didn't see all of I/O, so maybe it's in the plans, but I don't think M will include many features specific to the larger displays.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
agreed, I'd have thought by now with all the phablets we see nowadays Android would've done more to provide friendlier experience given the extra real estate. I didn't see all of I/O, so maybe it's in the plans, but I don't think M will include many features specific to the larger displays.

A lower UI DPI would be a start

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

I was really bummed when Motorola went from 4.7 to 5.2" for 2014 as the 2013 Moto X really was the perfect phone for me for one handed use. I decided to move to the 2014 model anyway and as expected one handed use become very difficult for me but I did enjoy the larger screen for everything else. I think the move to 5.2" made me realize that at least for me 80% of the time the larger screen is a benefit so while it sucks to lose some of the one handed use ability it's offset by the benefit of the larger screen. As long as the new Moto X is more manageable to hold then a Nexus 6 which is too big for me then it will definitely be a very likely new phone for me. I will still probably sit out til at least November to see what happens with the new Nexus phones and the roll out of Android M as I am not in that big of a rush.

On a side rant though I wish someone whether it be Motorola or realistically Google itself to create a reach-ability type feature to better accommodate one handed use on these large phones. You'd think this would be a software feature Motorola would have thought of when they moved the whole Moto X line to phablet size.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames