Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Moto X Style?

flimbo

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I have the leather moto x 2014 and I feel that the grip is not very good. The leather has no grip at all and the metal surround would be better if it were serrated like the power button. I have to keep the phone in a case.

I hope the new silicone backed moto x style has a better grip.

What's the point of having a premium looking phone and hiding it away in a bland looking case.

Posted via the Android Central App

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Thoughts on the Moto X Style?

Like others, I'm concerned about the size. I could probably get used to a larger screen size, but I don't know that my pocket can!

Yea the current Moto X is already pretty obvious in my pocket. This would be quite the stretch.

rexdeaz

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Hits & Misses - What do you like most/least about the Style?

I was really hoping it'd be available through carriers. As a Sprint employee I would have gotten the phone at $5 a month. There just is no way I can spend $399 on it upfront when I can get a Note 5 at $10 a month instead.

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site

I was really hoping it'd be available through carriers. As a Sprint employee I would have gotten the phone at $5 a month. There just is no way I can spend $399 on it upfront when I can get a Note 5 at $10 a month instead.

The $10 a month, is that for the phone on a two year contract, or is that what you pay for the service?

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

Can you get a note 5 for $10 a month and sell it?

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site

You don't have to do $399 up front. Motorola offers financing options on their website, so you can get it with an 18 month payment plan. $0 down, $22 per month.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

You don't have to do $399 up front. Motorola offers financing options on their website, so you can get it with an 18 month payment plan. $0 down, $22 per month.

I think he's just here to brag about his employee discount. :D

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: Thoughts on the Moto X Style?

I think I'm out. That big of a phone just won't be comfortable in the pocket. I don't understand why they didn't stick with a 5.2 inch screen. Smaller size would save some battery.

HEAHA

Banned
Apr 8, 2014
Visit site

It is going to be available through the carriers, There is the Moto X Pure = Through Motorola, which may or may not have bloat at least as far as verizon is concerned. And the Moto X Style, which is the same exact phone with all carrier Bloat guaranteed to be on it. As well as things like 99 Cent pricing well before thanksgiving

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

I was hoping for a smaller screen with this version. I've got a Nexus 6 and it very nearly perfect for me, until I have to carry it. So, the N6 is the weekend phone and the 14 Moto G goes to work with me. Looks like I'll hold off until I see the Nexus 5.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I think I've decided on the Play rather than the Style. The promise of long battery life is too good to pass up. I have doubts over the potential longevity of the Style with the more power hungry SOC, QHD display and smaller battery. The nearer release date also makes me gravitate towards the Moto X Play. I just wish it had dual stereo speakers like the Style but no phone is perfect I guess.

Coming from a Nexus 5, battery and camera are my two biggest priorities. Can't wait to upgrade, though the Nexus 5 will always have a place in my heart.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mhettrich

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
As others have mentioned, I'm not thrilled about the size of the device or the battery. Camera quality is going to require some real world testing, so who knows how that will turn out. I probably won't be picking this up, but we'll see.

adamgalas1

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
So owning a Nexus 6 as I do, here are my thoughts.

Huge wins:

Bigger screen
Front facing speakers
Stock+ software
Charges to 33% in 15 minutes (world's fastest charging phone)

Let downs: battery size (should be ok, but I use my phone a ton and my battery degrades fast)

Still to be seen:

LCD screen (brightness may be better but need to turn off active display)

Now, I already turned off my active display because I don't like my screen turning on every time I pick up my phone so the screen issue is potentially less of an issue for me unless the LCD means screen on time takes a hit.

BUT I overall love the Moto software additions especially the double chop to turn on flash light, voice activation, and wrist flip to activate camera.

Stock android + Moto enhancements are the best overall software experience on any phone period.

I'll stick to my Nexus for now since it will receive updates through Android N but I'm hopeful in 2 years when I'm ready to upgrade that Moto will have the 5th gen Moto X as a near perfect phone with a bigger screen, (I'm shooting for 6.1'') duel speakers and a much bigger battery.

I was going to go with a Huawei import since they make phablets with screen size up to 7'' but they don't use T-Mobile's LTE bands 2,4,12 and besides I'd rather support Moto's efforts at:

1. Ideal carrier-less sales/no bloatware
2. Great hardware design
3. Ideal software/ stock android+ actually useful features but no skins.

Joshua Luther2

Sep 22, 2014
Visit site
The slight advantage that the Moto X Style has over the Nexus 6 is micro sd slot. That's the one thing I need or want in my next phone. That or 64gb storage at an affordable price.

The G4 is still at the top of my list. I will wait to see what the price of the Note 5 will be.

Also the fact that carriers won't sell them is disappointing. At least for me. I know not everyone likes getting their phones from carriers. But I don't mind it.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Also the fact that carriers won't sell them is disappointing. At least for me. I know not everyone likes getting their phones from carriers. But I don't mind it.

Has Motorola explicitly stated that the "Style" would not be available via carriers? So far, everything I've seen points out the hype that they plan on offering it unlocked as the "Pure Edition" for cheap but I haven't seen them say "you can't get it from carriers." If they do offer through carriers, it would potentially by free or cheap on contract as opposed to $200 like the other flagships. I just can't recall seeing them clearly state that you would never be able to acquire it through a carrier.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I am currently keen to get an X Play (in UK) , or maybe a Style -

but the overt full screen brightness may be tiring to my eyes, from seeing the AC blog images on my pc.
It's just full on backlighting (or edge lighting), take it or leave it.

Plasma TV's, OLED TV's and Amoled screens as I understand it, light up individual pixels. This has been mentioned countless times no doubt.

I had a Note 3 for 18 months, and have used my backup Moto G 2013 4.5" exclusively for 2 months (until I can beat my way home to my pc monitor in the evening).

I have adjusted to the text size, almost, but any brightness level is wearing my eyes and brain out.

The initial AC hands on reports say it's good, and you can't go by photos of a phone acreen in action, but it's the only thing that's troubling me.

I also doubt there will be many on display when they come out.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Has Motorola explicitly stated that the "Style" would not be available via carriers? So far, everything I've seen points out the hype that they plan on offering it unlocked as the "Pure Edition" for cheap but I haven't seen them say "you can't get it from carriers." If they do offer through carriers, it would potentially by free or cheap on contract as opposed to $200 like the other flagships. I just can't recall seeing them clearly state that you would never be able to acquire it through a carrier.

Yeah, I believe it was the software engineer in an interview stated that it wouldn't go to carriers. I'll update this post with a link when I find it.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/28/motorola-seang-chau-deep-dive/

Engadget: So are carriers going to sell locked-down versions of the Moto X Style?

Chau: Moto X Style will be exclusively available online and in Best Buys. There are no preloads, no other versions in the US. Isn't that great? Because we can cut out the middleman, we can deliver a better price too.

From - http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...-style-available-us-att-next.html#post4580315

Last edited:

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Ostensibly, that's great.

I wish, everyone would wish all OEM's would follow.

.... but aren't Motorola cutting their own throat. Have they alienated the carriers?
They must have done the math.

------
What does ostensibly mean?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aitana135332