Moto X Style: TFT screen - is it a deal breaker?

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I was looking forward to an AMOLED screen uncontaminated by Samsung-iness, so I can use it as a nav system while I've got sunglasses on. But according to Motorola.com, the X Pure will have a TFT rather than AMOLED. Thoughts/feelings?

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Re: TFT screen - deal breaker?

I must have missed that. Are you sure that isn't a typo? I thought AMOLED was required for their Moto Display to work.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

It's listed in the official specs, sadly. I too am wondering how Moto Display will impact battery life without an AMOLED screen.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

It is a deal breaker. My old Xperia Z1s had a TFT screen and viewing angles were horrendous.

And I've grown so dependent on Active Display. I don't understand how they will implement it effectively without AMOLED.

Posted via the Android Central App

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

It is a deal breaker. My old Xperia Z1s had a TFT screen and viewing angles were horrendous.
EDIT: OK I misunderstood your post, is this actually really going to be TFT LCD rather than the better IPS LCD that Sony used to fix the viewing angles issue for the Z2 and later?

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

That was rectified a long time ago from the Z2 onwards so how is that a problem in 2015? Also these displays have a long history of easier outdoor viewing than amoled. Point taken on Active Display, I do not know how well that will work without amoled, I guess we'll have to wait and see

Doesn't the Z2 onwards use IPS?

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

And I've grown so dependent on Active Display. I don't understand how they will implement it effectively without AMOLED.

I won't call anything a deal breaker when it's on paper and without any real-world experience/review of the actual device. I'll reserve judgement until the reviews come in. But it will be fascinating to know how Moto Display will work with a TFT screen.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

You know, now that I think about it, isn't an AMOLED screen simply a bunch of LEDs squirted onto a TFT? On the other hand, they did specify TFT LCD, so I'm probably just reaching...

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

You know, now that I think about it, isn't an AMOLED screen simply a bunch of LEDs squirted onto a TFT? On the other hand, they did specify TFT LCD, so I'm probably just reaching...

Yea I've never seen an AMOLED display be advertised as a TFT LCD. Something is definitely odd.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Hang on.

Thin-film transistor display?

Hope they use an IPS panel. The XPERIA Z phones before the Z2 had the horrendous TN panel that made viewing angles utterly atrocious.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

Every article I read specifies that TFT has inherently inferior viewing angles. Take, for example, this:

TFT Guide - Part 2 - Viewing Angle Technologies - Introduction

Just to quote from the above link:

"(1) When you view a TFT display from the side, you will quickly notice a dramatic loss of screen brightness and a characteristic change of displayed colors. Older flat panel displays typically have a viewing angle of 90 degrees, i.e. 45 degrees to each side. As long as there is only one viewer this isn't a problem. As soon as you invite a second viewer, for example a customer you want to show something to, or an additional player for an action game at home - then you won't have to wait too long to hear a complaint about bad display quality."

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

Every article I read specifies that TFT has inherently inferior viewing angles. Take, for example, this:

TFT Guide - Part 2 - Viewing Angle Technologies - Introduction

Just to quote from the above link:

"(1) When you view a TFT display from the side, you will quickly notice a dramatic loss of screen brightness and a characteristic change of displayed colors. Older flat panel displays typically have a viewing angle of 90 degrees, i.e. 45 degrees to each side. As long as there is only one viewer this isn't a problem. As soon as you invite a second viewer, for example a customer you want to show something to, or an additional player for an action game at home - then you won't have to wait too long to hear a complaint about bad display quality."

Don't TFT LCDs use either TN or IPS panels?

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

Don't TFT LCDs use either TN or IPS panels?

That is true. I am PRAYING it's an IPS LCD. It's just odd how it is described simply as a TFT display, rather than an IPS or just LCD.

I'm probably just worrying prematurely, because I doubt Moto would screw up a QHD display with bad viewing angles. You're right, it's probably an IPS display. I just wish they specified.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site

That is true. I am PRAYING it's an IPS LCD. It's just odd how it is described simply as a TFT display, rather than an IPS or just LCD.

I'm probably just worrying prematurely, because I doubt Moto would screw up a QHD display with bad viewing angles. You're right, it's probably an IPS display. I just wish they specified.

same here. I find it unlikely it'l be the older TFT. But... to keep that cost at $400 there's still a chance they went this route. I hope not, but it is possible.

luke31

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site

same here. I find it unlikely it'l be the older TFT. But... to keep that cost at $400 there's still a chance they went this route. I hope not, but it is possible.

That low cost is honestly what makes me worried. Though early hands on impressions from various sites say that the display is gorgeous, so our concerns likely aren't warranted.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

The 2015 Moto E has an IPS panel, albeit at a lower resolution

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I will obviously withhold final judgement until I see the phone, but I am sure whatever the screen is will be fine.

Lcd screens always have nicer colors than led anyway. I am tired of all the colors being saturated to hell and back. I look at HTC screens with envy every time I am around one. Hopefully the new X screen will be of similar quality.

Also, everyone remember that the Droid mini had an Lcd display and active display and it was fine. I am sure moto can make it work with the new X as well.

Sent from my XT1096

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site

For viewing angles these are from the phonearena.com hands on. It looks fine to me? (the blurriness is from their camera, see the guy's right thumb is out of focus)

1.png2.png