How would I work this senario?

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I am currently on an att business plan. I currently have a 2013 moto x. I'm eligible for an upgrade in December. When we upgrade we go to att and pick out a new phone. How would I work this to get a moto x pure? Can I just pick out an available high end Android phone at the store, activate it, sell it, then use the money to cover the cost of a moto x? I would also have my '13 to sell, may keep it to fall back on in an emergency since the wife has the same phone though. Haven't really ever sold a phone before, so I'm not sure how this all works. Usually they were all wore out flip phones before I got my moto x so I either traded them in or kept them. Thanks

Last edited:

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
You can definitely use your upgrade to get a new phone and then sell it. Plenty of people choose to do that. Used 2013 Moto X's are currently selling for a little over $100 depending on the condition. By the time your upgrade comes around, it will be lower so it may not be worth selling it and it could be a nice phone to have as a backup. Especially if you ever need to send the Pure Edition to Motorola for any warranty repairs.

Selling devices online is pretty simple. Most places like ebay and Swappa rely on the seller and buyer having a PayPal account to complete the transaction. Great pics and a solid description always do well when it comes to selling.

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I figured my current phone would go down in value when the new one comes out. Probably just hang on to it. Will att give me a phone new in unopened box, or do the have to activate it for me to get it? I'd get more out of an unopened phone.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I figured my current phone would go down in value when the new one comes out. Probably just hang on to it. Will att give me a phone new in unopened box, or do the have to activate it for me to get it? I'd get more out of an unopened phone.
You'll get a new phone, but the box may be opened to check it and/or setup activation for you. If you upgrade online, then they may mail you a brand new, unopened box.

edgar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
How about denying the upgrade. Remove contract and save 15-20 dollars a month depending on your plan ($15 is less than 6gb $20 if greater)

https://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/plans/mobile-share.jsp

See 2 year agreement vs bring in your own device chart

If you upgrade your phone you have to Pay $.01-$200 + tax of retail price for a new phone. Then you can try ti flip it. A $.01 would mostly have a <$200 value and a $200 would be about $400 for net 200 profit. And that's be generous with estimates

Or bring in your own device and save $360 to $480 per line per 24 months

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I'll probably do that on my wife's plan. It would be harder to get the business to buy me a phone, they'd probably tell me to pick a phone out at the store.

Posted via the Android Central App