Moto X Pure Edition: Various Reviews

adamgalas1

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
A few points.

1. I'm not sure if it's just me but the low light picks they show in these reviews look fine to me.

I have no idea what washed out colors or noise means and I think that most non tech people, who review dozens of phones per year, won't be bothered by its camera.

That's based on customer reviews from previous moto x in amazon.

2. I'm so sick and tired of every reviewer labeling. The big screen a con. It's one of the main features of the phone.

Reviewers seen to forget that no one who hates big phones will ever even pick the xpe up, much less buy it.

Yes, you may have to use it for a week to review it as your job but just because you have small hands and hate phablet s doesn't mean you should ***** about the main feature of the device.

It's as if I reviewed the Xperia z 5 compact and complained about the 4.6 inch screen feeling cramped.

To people who are drawn to that phone the tiny screen is the big draw.

Or how about the s pen on the note 5? I personally don't find it useful and so is unnecessary for me, just something to lose.

But it's also the defining feature of the damned phone so how fair would it be for me to review the phone and complain about it?

Or how about if I was someone who never used replaceable batteries or SD cards and then attacked the LG g4 for having this things, claiming that a totally sealed design is superior and I just don't get why every phone doesn't have that and forgo SD cards.

Phone Reviewers need to keep in mind that key features of a phone are that, features.

No one who actually buys a nexus 6 does it despite the giant screen but exactly because they want a giant screen.

So claiming that the large size may be too big for some is asinine.

Who reviews a Ferrari and then lists poor fuel economy as a con?

Or reviews a Bently and then says "may be outside some readers price range".

Yeah, no ****, sherlock, and the downside of swimming is that it may be too wet for some.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I was looking forward to your response. very disappointing ... predictable, but still disappointing.

not a single one of your points, literally not one, involved any thought whatsoever. you simply see what you can see on the surface, and regurgitate it as your own.

and not one of my questions was actually answered, instead, you chose to deflect the issue, while attempting to make me look stupid, which backfired mightily.

and for whatever reason, you chose to come at me and challenge what's simply an opinion, yet you think for some reason I declare it as fact.

you still haven't contributed anything relevant to this conversation though.

it's not about what you see on the surface, so if you can't look a little deeper, than there's no point in continuing.

also, take a look at this link. now I imagine that you'll look at it, read the headline and then boil it down to one or two words and use the tactic of trying to look smart by making somebody else look stupid.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/tec...k-28-of-its-revenue-from-verizon-in-2010.html

but try reading between the lines. just try imagining, that the possibility exists, that moto and VZ could possibly have a tight enough relationship, and have done enough business through the years, to make it a possibility that moto would consider not stepping on their toes and damaging that relationship.

remember though, this is an exercise that involves looking past what you can actually see. you won't be able to find any of this on Wikipedia or on Google ... good luck!

I answered your questions.

Here's one for you - all in the realm of hypothetical just as your "because Verizon" reasoning.

If Motorola says they didn't put a bigger battery in the Moto X Style because they didn't want the phone to be too thick, would you believe them or would you simply assume "because Verizon"?

But I expect you to deflect or dismiss these options and opinions and take personal digs at me because that's how you seem to operate.

There's likely more than one reason and I've already stayed yours is just as valid as mine. I just believe it can't be as simple as "because Verizon".

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If u shop around though, U can usually score a decent deal on one of the flagships. The G4 unlocked can be had for $469. That's only $20 more than a moto x with 32 gas. Best Buy is giving gift cards with purchase of a G4 or S6, $150. That puts those phones in the $450 range. I know it's a gift card, but I know I will be spending at least $150 at Best Buy for the holidays.

But eventually you'll be able to find a deal on the Moto X Pure Edition.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
A few points.

1. I'm not sure if it's just me but the low light picks they show in these reviews look fine to me.

I have no idea what washed out colors or noise means and I think that most non tech people, who review dozens of phones per year, won't be bothered by its camera.

That's based on customer reviews from previous moto x in amazon.

2. I'm so sick and tired of every reviewer labeling. The big screen a con. It's one of the main features of the phone.

Reviewers seen to forget that no one who hates big phones will ever even pick the xpe up, much less buy it.

Yes, you may have to use it for a week to review it as your job but just because you have small hands and hate phablet s doesn't mean you should ***** about the main feature of the device.

It's as if I reviewed the Xperia z 5 compact and complained about the 4.6 inch screen feeling cramped.

To people who are drawn to that phone the tiny screen is the big draw.

Or how about the s pen on the note 5? I personally don't find it useful and so is unnecessary for me, just something to lose.

But it's also the defining feature of the damned phone so how fair would it be for me to review the phone and complain about it?

Or how about if I was someone who never used replaceable batteries or SD cards and then attacked the LG g4 for having this things, claiming that a totally sealed design is superior and I just don't get why every phone doesn't have that and forgo SD cards.

Phone Reviewers need to keep in mind that key features of a phone are that, features.

No one who actually buys a nexus 6 does it despite the giant screen but exactly because they want a giant screen.

So claiming that the large size may be too big for some is asinine.

Who reviews a Ferrari and then lists poor fuel economy as a con?

Or reviews a Bently and then says "may be outside some readers price range".

Yeah, no ****, sherlock, and the downside of swimming is that it may be too wet for some.

But those reviewers are just giving their opinion.

Look beyond the Pros and Cons section.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well I'm holding off from ordering till I see more hands on reviews of this puppy!

1st - I need to know if the bootloader can be unlocked, liked the NEXUS 6.

2nd - Can the phone do VoLTE on Verizon right out of the box, or do we need some update down the road.

The Moto X 2014 doesn't do voice and data at the same time.
They said the update would be out by the end of 2014 and as of today it still cant do voice and data. WTF is up with that?
No VoLTE for it yet!

So I will just have to wait till they give it a good hands on review here or at some other site:mad:

Yup. Clocks has been compiling a bunch of answers from Motorola support.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=576320

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
What the heck has happened to this thread?? I normally like chaos, but this is not the place :)

My only hold point for ordering is battery life, so hoping the initial reviews were too high on relative brightness. Need to see reviews that actually measure relative brightness and test (especially video endurance tests) accordingly.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
If u shop around though, U can usually score a decent deal on one of the flagships. The G4 unlocked can be had for $469. That's only $20 more than a moto x with 32 gas. Best Buy is giving gift cards with purchase of a G4 or S6, $150. That puts those phones in the $450 range. I know it's a gift card, but I know I will be spending at least $150 at Best Buy for the holidays.

Maybe so, but Moto X UX > than LG or Samsung UX by a very big margin. I love the stock Android and Moto add-ons so much more than the skins. And LG isn't exactly speedy with their updates.

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
Reading that verge review again really irked me. I usually roll my eyes at all the comments on the internet accusing them and other sites of being pro-Apple fanboys, but one can't help but think that they were looking down on the Moto X because of its price instead of praising the value at hand. How many "midrange" devices have a QHD display, front facing speakers, premium material build, with a 6 core processor, 20+ MP camera, etc...? I think if this thing was $649 or even $699 they'd be much more positive about it instead of the review being influenced negatively by its $399 price tag. Which is the opposite of what it should be.

Last years Moto x got great reviews, earning several best of awards from many publications both big and small, and that thing was $499 at launch I think. The new version improves everything at a cheaper price, yet it's looked down upon mmmmkay. Most review sites suck, and I'm glad we have these forums for real world usage reviews from real customers who paid with their hard earned money and not just took it for a spin for a week.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
LG4 probably has the better camera and removable battery, but I agree the difference in software and user experience is likely large.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Reading that verge review again really irked me. I usually roll my eyes at all the comments on the internet accusing them and other sites of being pro-Apple fanboys, but one can't help but think that they were looking down on the Moto X because of its price instead of praising the value at hand. How many "midrange" devices have a QHD display, front facing speakers, premium material build, with a 6 core processor, 20+ MP camera, etc...? I think if this thing was $649 or even $699 they'd be much more positive about it instead of the review being influenced negatively by its $399 price tag. Which is the opposite of what it should be.

Last years Moto x got great reviews, earning several best of awards from many publications both big and small, and that thing was $499 at launch I think. The new version improves everything at a cheaper price, yet it's looked down upon mmmmkay. Most review sites suck, and I'm glad we have these forums for real world usage reviews from real customers who paid with their hard earned money and not just took it for a spin for a week.

After reading their review and watching their video, it seemed to me as if they loved the Moto X. They seemed to like the experience and are blown away that that experience comes at such a low price.

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
After reading their review and watching their video, it seemed to me as if they loved the Moto X. They seemed to like the experience and are blown away that that experience comes at such a low price.

I didn't get that at all, I did get that vibe from their review of the Moto x last year though. The note 5 seems to be the media darling and perhaps rightfully so, but I kinda think that most of these devices are more or less equal and are simply different rather than better or worse

pinoymutt5

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
In the end, it all really comes down to what you are looking for in a phone. I wasn't very impressed with most of the reviews -- and interestingly enough, none of them were from Android-specific blogs like AC, AndroidPolice, Droid-Life, etc. that I read on a regular basis -- that actually point out things that a lot of more technical users will appreciate.

Specifically, for me, I was looking for a few things:

1. Good price point
2. Bootloader unlock (e.g. Dev friendly, and easily rootable)
3. Good software reputation (e.g. close to stock and quick updates)
4. A mid/high end phone that does NOT use the overheating POS Snapdragon 810
5. Expandable storage (e.g. microSD support)

My last few phones respectively are/were: Oneplus One (soon to be replaced by my incoming X Pure), Nexus 5, and before that the Galaxy S1-S4 lines.

So how did I come to my decision on the X Pure based on the other ones? It was pretty easy as I objectively looked at it to eliminate competitors:
(Just as a information point, I'm on AT&T in the US)

1. LG G4 - I was actually very close to pulling the trigger on this one, however 2 things seemed to hold me back: (a) unless you own the 815 variant, which is the international unlocked version and quite pricey, unlocking the bootloader is a negative, and the carrier versions just recently got root (but a very convoluted way to do this) -- which also means the dev community after several months is still pretty sparse; and (b) I keep reading real life experience of people that complain about LG's skin and "enhancements" to Lollipop -- which generally isn't a big deal if you can unlock the bootloader and put on another ROM -- but see point A.

2. Galaxy S6, Edge, and all the ******* offshoots - I mentioned that I was an early proponent of the Galaxy S series. After the first Galaxy S, I was a day-1 adoptee on each of the succeeding models through the S4. However, a few things starting with the S5 started to turn me sour to Samung -- the biggest being how they've caved in to the US Carriers and starting really clamping down on bootloaders, which effectively crippled much of the dev community. I understand it to an extent with their Knox initiative and all, but doesn't suit me. Also, their recent move away from SD expansion (which was one of their strengths) doesn't sit too well with me. And their pricing is crazy -- especially now that many carriers in the US don't subsidize anymore, this will definitely hurt their US market for people that won't pay upwards of $700-800 for something not called iPhone.

3. Nexus 2015 (either variant) -- word on the street is that the LG model will have lower specs to compensate for pricing, plus I am a fan of the 5.5-5.7 screen, so that one goes out quick. The Huawei version was the model that had me most intrigued, but there are a few things that I was concerned about that led me to pull the trigger now on the X Pure rather than wait for the Nexus annoucement -- (a) Google is not a big fan of MicroSD storage. Sure Marshmallow is supposed to add some native SD capability, but with the exception of an early Nexus -- the chance of having a MicroSD on the new nexus is slim. I lived without it on both my Nexus 5 and OPO, but even with 64GB on my OPO, I found I was running out of space for things like music and video; (b) price -- the Nexus 6 had a pretty hefty price tag for the 64GB model. Word is that Google will address this with the lower-spec'ed LG 5.2 version, but that leaves the high price tag to be on the Huawei one. I can see this model being the same (maybe even a little more) than the Nexus 6 pricepoint; and (c) processor. I've read rumors from everything from the not-yet-released 820 to using the dreaded 810, which recent reports point more to the 810. Plus, Huawei themselves use their own SOC in their own flagship models, so using a different chip than they are used to (plus the garbage that is the 810) could be not so hot out of the gate. And if it is the first phone to use the new 820, it could demand a high premium initially as well.

4. And last, but not least, the Oneplus 2. Let me first say that, my Oneplus One has been a wonderful piece of hardware that had so much potential. When it came out, the specs for the pricepoint couldn't be beat. Plus the notion that is was a real alternative to the Nexus (dev friendly at a great price) was huge. And then came actually dealing with Oneplus the company. I've posted on other forums, and could write for another hour just on this -- but let me just sum up that in my opinion Oneplus is seemingly run by a bunch of inexperienced entitled children to put it mildly. I actually do use NFC, and their recent explanations and PR nightmares were just too much (don't believe for a moment that the whole Cyanogen debacle was 100% on Cyanogen Inc. It takes 2 to tango, but I do agree that Cyanogen Inc. is another company that fits in the "run by children" mold). I gave them a lot of slack on their first attempt, but for their second phone, you expect a lot of lessons learned and hopefully more maturity that just didn't seem to pan out. I don't think they will be around in a few years to be honest (unless they are reintegrated into "parent" OPPO).

So after thinking through all of these things, I decided that taking a chance on LennovoMoto and what seems to be a really good package that ticks most of my boxes. Fingerprinter reader and wireless charging would be cool -- but not a must for me. And I find it funny that people are so nitpicky on the battery. I've been an Android user for years, and learning to put my phone on the charger every night is just something you get used to. I'm the furthest thing from an Apple fanboi -- but one thing that Apple managed to get right is battery life on the iPhone. My wife can go for days without charging -- but you know what -- she can't even change her launcher which I'll take any day (I love my customization).

Bottom line -- I haven't had a Moto since my old StarTac back in the days (yeah I skipped the whole Razr phase), but I'm pretty excited for my new Red leather backed badboy coming in a little over a week's time! And if history is any indication -- I really did love that StarTac!

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I have a few problems with this phone.
1. 1440p resolution stretched out over 5.7 inches is an eyesore.
Seriously its almost unusable, couldn't they have put in a 4K display?
The pixelation is so bad that i can see individual pixels. It just looks ugly.
2. Snapdragon 808 srs?
Phone is slow as hell. Lags too much. Performance is terrible. Couldn't they have used Snapdragon 810? Its so slow that i can go make coffee in the time it takes to open an app.
/sarcasm.

SmogHog

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
I had very bad battery life with my Nexus 5 after about a year of use.Then I opened it up,removed the battery and cleaned all the contacts.After that it was nearly like it was when new.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I just read the CNET review. Oh my word ... haha

Sent from S3 via Tapatalk App.

Motorola Moto X Pure Edition (unlocked) review - Page 2 - CNET

But instead, I was disappointed. Its larger design (up from 5.2 inches) feels far too cumbersome for smaller hands like mine. Battery life was unexceptional, its camera wasn't massively impressive and aside from a few minor tweaks, Motorola's Moto services don't feature anything substantially new.

Pictures taken outdoors or in amply-lit indoor environments looked great: colors were accurate, objects were clear with defined outlines and you can still see a lot of details retained at full resolution. There were a few times when the phone took a couple of tries to focus on an object up close, but eventually it'd lock on and snap a clear picture. Photos taken in low-light environments didn't fare as well, which is a common occurrence in smartphone photography. Though night mode improved exposure somewhat, I still saw a noticeable amount of digital noise, graininess and muted colors.

During our battery drain test for continuous video playback, the handset lasted an average of 8 hours and 46 minutes. Although last year's Moto X had a smaller screen, its lower-capacity 2,300mAh battery lasted over 10 hours. And compared to its rivals, the OnePlus 2's 3,300mAh battery lasted 9 hours and 46 minutes (though we weren't very impressed with that performance either), and the Axon Pro's 3,000mAh battery lasted shorter at 8 hours and 8 minutes (again, not the best from all parties). I you want to know what does impress us, the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 -- while admittedly a higher-tiered phone and expensive than all these devices -- lasted a whopping 15 hours of continuous playback on its 3,000mAh battery.

Channing White

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I would like to jump on this phone, but knowing verizon they might not let the service go through like what they did with the nexus 5 that was able to work on the network but 'because it wasn't a registered verizon phone' they weren't having it, aren't you worried they might do that to you?

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I would like to jump on this phone, but knowing verizon they might not let the service go through like what they did with the nexus 5 that was able to work on the network but 'because it wasn't a registered verizon phone' they weren't having it, aren't you worried they might do that to you?

exactly why I'm waiting. I rather wait and know for sure before ordering...I could deal with some of the other let downs, but main draw for me is the almost nakedness of the phone from nasty carrier lockdowns and whatnot especially VERIZON! I wished we as customers would have some power and fire everyone of the programmers and persons in charge that think they are making the phone better!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non