Using the Moto X Pure Edition on AT&T?

Peter Rokkos

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Patiently waiting for my Moto X to arrive on the 17th but really hoping it will get here sooner. Had originally ordered on Amazon which looks like it would already be here, but preferred dark wood over bamboo so had to go custom through Moto Maker.

I have an LG G3 which I understand has a micro Sim card. But the Moto X needs a nano Sim card I believe. Am I right about that?

Assuming so looks like I will have to go to ATT to get that switched - they have never given me a problem in the past when switching out my family's iPhone Sim cards so I don't anticipate a problem now. But I've been reading the Verizon forum where there have been some issues with Verizon not finding the phone in their system.

Anyone activate a Moto X on ATT yet?

Did you do so at an ATT store by switching Sim or otherwise?

I've read about a $7 Sim cutter on Amazon - could probably order it an have it hear before the phone arrives, but would prefer to not risk a damaged or Sim with issues if its a simple process of getting a new one at ATT.

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Re: Anyone activate on ATT yet?

Patiently waiting for my Moto X to arrive on the 17th but really hoping it will get here sooner. Had originally ordered on Amazon which looks like it would already be here, but preferred dark wood over bamboo so had to go custom through Moto Maker.

I have an LG G3 which I understand has a micro Sim card. But the Moto X needs a nano Sim card I believe. Am I right about that?

Assuming so looks like I will have to go to ATT to get that switched - they have never given me a problem in the past when switching out my family's iPhone Sim cards so I don't anticipate a problem now. But I've been reading the Verizon forum where there have been some issues with Verizon not finding the phone in their system.

Anyone activate a Moto X on ATT yet?

Did you do so at an ATT store by switching Sim or otherwise?

I've read about a $7 Sim cutter on Amazon - could probably order it an have it hear before the phone arrives, but would prefer to not risk a damaged or Sim with issues if its a simple process of getting a new one at ATT.
I put my at&t nano sim into my mxp and had no problem. Really strong signal compared to previous phones I've owned. You can cut your micro sim or go to the at&t store and ask for a nano. Tell them you're buying a used S6 and that's why you need one, and that you'll call customer service to get it activated once you have it. Good luck!

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Peter Rokkos

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site

FYI - quick update. Just did an online chat with ATT. They actually were incredibly helpful. Sending me a Nano Sim in mail which I can pop in and then call to activate. No charge. Of course it will take up to 5 biz days which means will likely arrive after phone gets here....so will more likely end up going to att store anyway....where I'll probably have an issue because i ordered a Nano Sim in the mail.....

streetkilln

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Didnt have to activate.. Just took mine out cut it down to nano sim and popped it in runs fine..

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

FYI - quick update. Just did an online chat with ATT. They actually were incredibly helpful. Sending me a Nano Sim in mail which I can pop in and then call to activate. No charge. Of course it will take up to 5 biz days which means will likely arrive after phone gets here....so will more likely end up going to att store anyway....where I'll probably have an issue because i ordered a Nano Sim in the mail.....

They should just give you one. Just tell them you have a device in-bound and you need a nano sim. They may ask where the device is or may even link the nano to your account. I'm on Verizon and that's what they did for me. Go to a corporate store though - most "authorized" retailers will want to bone you and charge for the card.

bigbuc

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: Activating the Moto X Pure Edition on AT&T?

I ordered 2 nano Sims from AT&T they overnighted me 2 MICRO SIMs. so I just cut down my old one.

--sent from broadbandless rural America

THARD11

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site

I switched out to the nano sim was not getting LTE, changed APN and LTE fired right up.

wkm001

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I cut mine down too with the cutter from amazon. Works a heck of a lot better than my OnePlus One on AT&T. Call quality is better and LTE reception is much better.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I cut mine down too with the cutter from amazon. Works a heck of a lot better than my OnePlus One on AT&T. Call quality is better and LTE reception is much better.

Better call quality and reception? That's Motorola for you.

thejesse

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site

I have the OnePlus One and the 2014 Moto X. I really like the OnePlus and, in fact, find it more comfortable to use than the X. However, the Moto has much better reception. The 2013 X had much better reception than the 2014 in my experience so I'm hoping the XPE is more like the 2013.

THARD11

Sep 27, 2010
Visit site

The first one was the AT&T Nextgenphone one. Don't have settings as I deleted when other one worked better. The one I changed to is AT&T PHONE. See attached settings.
Screenshot_2015-09-14-14-07-47.jpgScreenshot_2015-09-14-14-07-59.jpgScreenshot_2015-09-14-14-08-05.jpg

Gunrack

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Setting Up New Phone

I received my new MXPE and at lunch fired it up and initiated the transfer and restore from my Google backup. I'm coming from an AT&T HTC One M7.

So now I'm concerned. It transferred everything like my text messages, contacts and settings and since it was on Wi-Fi at home I left it restoring my apps and came back to work.

Did I do the wrong thing in letting it restore my installed apps? Will it download all of the AT&T crap apps as well as HTC apps?

Hope not. If so I guess I'll get home and have to wipe it and start over.

The MXPE looks awesome though! Screen is beautiful! Size is an inch bigger than my 4.7 HTC but I love it.

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Setting Up New Phone

The HTC apps It shouldn't; even if you tried to install them from the Play Store it'd tell you they are incompatible with your phone. As for AT&T apps, it might install them; I know some of them are downloadable from the Play Store. I downloaded the My AT&T app but I can also uninstall it if I want. However you should be able to uninstall any ATT junk apps since they didn't come preloaded and the phone will treat them like any other app you download.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

Any installed apps you don't want you can just uninstall, no need to jump straight to wiping it already.

And unless I'm mistaken your sms messages will not transfer to the new phone using google backup. I'm hoping I'm wrong but that has been my experience in the past and another reason why I use hangouts whenever I can now.

Good luck though, hopefully I'll be doing the same thing very soon.

Gunrack

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site

All of my personal info like text messages transferred during the install. It prompted me to install the MOTO Migrate app on my HTC. I did that and it then used NFC to communicate with my HTC and transfer everything. Took about 10 minutes. Then the app installs started.

Real painless!

grpweld

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Nano sim card?

I just received My Moto X pure! Amazing that it can get here from China in 1 day. I was hoping to put my AT&T sim card in and go to Motorola migrate to transfer everything but..... My Samsung Note2 has a std.? size sim card. What do I do now? I wanted to try this phone out on ATT before switching to Cricket.

Help and thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nano sim card?

You'd have to cut the card--SIM card cutters are relatively cheap. To put it back in the Note II, you can put the now nano-sized SIM into a microSIM adapter.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nano sim card?

You have two options:
1) Go to AT&T and get your SIM Card replaced for a new nano one. Some stores will charge a fee for this, however.
2) Cut it down yourself. As usual, this is a 'do at your own risk' kinda thing, but plenty of stencil sheets out there for you to cut out a nano card from your current SIM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699