What do you NOT like about YOUR Moto X Pure Edition?

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Not the same thing. Samsung version throttles the chipset and the display some and that is it.

Two of my Not likes though are scratched out:

1. There is an immersive mode app that forces full screen and no root required. it is called "Fulscrn". I bought full version after testing out the free one.
2. I have found a few chargers that are not slow charging.

Interestingly, I just saw your PC USB slow issue. I tried it on a .85A charger from my kindle, and instead of saying "Charging AC" on my screen, it said "Charging USB". Looks like really low amperage chargers make the phone think it's plugged into a computer. Weird.

Screenshot_2015-09-20-12-04-52.jpg

anon(13322)

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about the Moto X Pure Edition?

Probably the screen. It's way too difficult for me to switch to a non Amoled screen. It's just something about blacks on the Moto X that turns me off...looks gray and washed out.

SandmanATHF

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site

Probably the screen. It's way too difficult for me to switch to a non Amoled screen. It's just something about blacks on the Moto X that turns me off...looks gray and washed out.

I'm still going to keep my Pure, but I didn't realize how much I would miss the AMOLED. It's the biggest turn off for me, followed by the battery.

Posted via the Android Central App

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

That is absolutely wrong. Yes, if you wave your hand over it, it will wake up............but the screen automatically displays notifications as they come in, and will continue to "breathe" (illuminate the notifications at an interval) automatically until you check the notification. No action is necessary on your part, aside from looking at the screen.

Well that changes things. I'd still prefer the simplicity of an LED, but at least it's alerting me instead of me having to "ask" it.

As it's flashing, does it reveal the context of the notification for all nearby people to see?

anon(9268751)

May 28, 2015
Visit site

Well that changes things. I'd still prefer the simplicity of an LED, but at least it's alerting me instead of me having to "ask" it.

As it's flashing, does it reveal the context of the notification for all nearby people to see?

It's shows the type of message but not the content.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

When it flashes, it just shows the icon. You can change how it behaves when you touch the notification. Default is to show content when you press the icon. You can chnge it to hide sensitive info, or display no info.

azdmelani

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

If I am in a meeting and don't want to be distracted by my phone, I turn it upside down. Problem solved!

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site

Do you take your uni remote to work and bars and waiting rooms? Many users simply never learned to use the built in blaster.
We do agree the led notifier is the most elegant method of notification.

Bars and waiting rooms? Are there really people out there who will just go and change a publicly viewed TV to whatever they want to watch? That is incredibly obnoxious ...

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site

I do prefer the Moto Display notifications on an amoled screen. The LCD gives the screen a grayish appearance at night when notifications come in, but it's still easy to read. Otherwise have no complaints at all.

Those of us who are on our second or third Moto with Moto Display know how great it is and don't miss LED notifications at all. I get how the Moto newbies miss what they're used to, but give it a while. I promise you will never ever want to go back to a phone without Moto Display again. Ever.

Bheemax

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Re: What do you NOT like about this phone?

I was expecting the leather back to be little softer to the touch. It is hard. The phone tends to tip over if not balanced just right.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Interestingly, I just saw your PC USB slow issue. I tried it on a .85A charger from my kindle, and instead of saying "Charging AC" on my screen, it said "Charging USB". Looks like really low amperage chargers make the phone think it's plugged into a computer. Weird.

View attachment 197596

Saved my post, since just figured that out as well. Seems Moto used too high of a threshold, so will not be as charger versatile as other devices for normal charging.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I have used OLED displays on all phones for the past five years and see no issues with this display. It is very fine. The lack of LED though and relying on powering an entire LCD display for notifications though is IMO another issue. Moto should have at least added the LED notification as an option, since the LED exists.

diesel97

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site

Best i can tell it doesn't have the "breath" aka flashing notification anymore (really liked it on my old OGMX) It will flash once at first and then you will have to use the 'hand wave' after that unless there is something i have to turn on i hope

edit : Sorry i was wrong it does have the 'breath' feature still:) Just saw my New York football Giants score up , OT belive it not they WINNING :)

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

If I am in a meeting and don't want to be distracted by my phone, I turn it upside down. Problem solved!

Well sure, but my meeting example was in response to a suggestion to turn on notification SOUNDS. My claim is that sounds are far more disruptive than an LED.

kj11

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

I strongly disagree. Where I work, it's common practice for everyone to silence their phones during meetings. Glancing down to check a flashing LED affects nobody, but sounds emitting from phones are immediately disruptive to the entire room. Whoever is speaking will usually stop while everyone else looks around to see whose phone is making noise.

You missed my point... If someone is responding to what triggered the notification, that's disruptive. If you're in a meeting and don't intend to use your phone, what difference does it make if you have a notification light blinking or not?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

Since Motorola themselves touted the reason for display activation's existence was the ability to localize what was On on the display due to OLED tech, it kind of nulls the value with LCD. JMO, but based on the entire premised of why Moto added it in the first place. Is anyone else not seeing the irony here? It would probably not exist and we would have LED if Moto was using LCD before and there would be LED.

DisplayMates review should be interesting.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Bars and waiting rooms? Are there really people out there who will just go and change a publicly viewed TV to whatever they want to watch? That is incredibly obnoxious ...
All the time. Often in waiting room I am alone but will ask if others are there. The Chateau bar has separate tvs for every table but most of the remotes are stolen, broken, or you have to ask waitress to find one. At other bars I have asked and bartender "doesn't know where remote is" I ask "do you mind if I change it?" "Go ahead!" Is the typical reply. I enjoy the surprised expression when I do. In my dentists office they leave the Oprah Winfrey network on all day. I just change it. Nobody is watching and nobody has ever said a word. The receptionist is working. I am a customer. I don't care if she misses her talk show. My car dealership waiting room is another spot I use it. I always ask first if people are watching. I've yet to have an issue.

Of course I have several tvs I use it on at home when I cannot easily spot my remote. You never misplaced yours? I give my wife the remote to the air conditioner but I can use my phone to turn it off from my side of the bed when she is asleep. At work I can control the overhead display. I'm sure I'm forgetting many other occasions I have used it.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

You missed my point... If someone is responding to what triggered the notification, that's disruptive. If you're in a meeting and don't intend to use your phone, what difference does it make if you have a notification light blinking or not?

At a minimum, it is an absolute waste of power. Instead of turning on one or two leds, let's turn on several MILLION of them! ;) Obviously more power draw with a notification LED than one on a display, but an itty-bitty-teeny-tiny minuscule fraction of an entire display. Seems nuts, but JMO.

bimbert84

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site

Those of us who are on our second or third Moto with Moto Display know how great it is and don't miss LED notifications at all. I get how the Moto newbies miss what they're used to, but give it a while. I promise you will never ever want to go back to a phone without Moto Display again. Ever.

I think that promise is presumptuous. Different people prefer different things. I happen to prefer substance over style, and would NEVER be willing to sacrifice simplicity or battery life for the sake of a flashy "new" feature.

Now I think a useful, best-of-both-worlds combination would be to have the LED provide the notification, and then have a hand wave provide more detail on the screen. I can see zero drawback to providing this as an option, and prior to this thread, that's how I thought it actually DID work.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site

I think that promise is presumptuous. Different people prefer different things. I happen to prefer substance over style, and would NEVER be willing to sacrifice simplicity or battery life for the sake of a flashy "new" feature.

Now I think a useful, best-of-both-worlds combination would be to have the LED provide the notification, and then have a hand wave provide more detail on the screen. I can see zero drawback to providing this as an option, and prior to this thread, that's how I thought it actually DID work.

That and the fact that those Mote devices were OLED tech and not turning the whole display on for a small amount of info. Moto themselves rationalized the tech due to OLED displays.