What's your screen bightness level?

deadpenguins

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm asking this because I've noticed with my new XP that the brightness level between 0-40% ramps up so heavily that it encompasses pretty much the entire brightness range of the device i.e from 40-100% there is barely any difference in brightness. The phone is plenty dim at 0% and plenty bright at 100% so I have no complaints, but this non-linear scale is odd to me so I'm curious what you guys have found is a comfortable level (for those of you not on auto brightness). I have my brightness set at about 10% right now and it seems more than adequate.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
10% is more than bright enough for me, I've found. Funny but I haven't tested it outdoors yet but I'm confident it'll be great outdoors since 10% brightness is way bright IMO

Posted via the Android Central App

10%!!!! Crikey! I like a nice bright screen but 10%! How bright is this screen, I have my Xperia Z3 set to around 75% and that does have a nice bright screen so it is hard for me to imagine what brightness I would need on this phone!

droidman2177

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
10% is ridiculous. For me, anyway. I roll with the brightness@ 75%. It's a pretty bright display.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
10% is ridiculous. For me, anyway. I roll with the brightness@ 75%. It's a pretty bright display.

I'm at around 20% (maybe slightly less) and it seems plenty bright to me in most situations other than direct sunlight. This is a VERY bright screen compared to other phones ive had. 75% sounds--and looks--like overkill to me, not to mention the additional battery drain. But everyone's looking for that middle bowl of porridge I guess.

Posted via my Mate 7 or my Moto X Pure

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
15-30% inside, 40-50% outside unless I'm in direct bright sun and then the lux app I use will crank it up to about 75% at times.

Peter Rokkos

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Coming from a LG G3. I find the screen brightness to be very strong. Had typically kept my screen at 50% on the G3. On the X, I have been keeping it at about 30% primarily indoors. Jack it up on occasion outside.

I don't use adaptive brightness - seems like its always adjusting around which I find distracting.

droidxd00d

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Coming from an lg g3 as well. So this screen is much brighter, for indoor use I only keep it around 10-20%

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm inside right now and I'm pretty sure the brightness is less than 10% right now, yet it's plenty bright for me to see. When I go outside, I turn it up to about 50%.

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
Using a fixed 20% on the Pure, since appears to equal my Note 4 at about 35% to 40%. This display gets bright. I did not get a yellow tint one as some report. Very nice display and I'm used to the Note 4 for a year. This display looks better than the G4 display IMO and color wise the Pure is very nice.

I do somewhat miss the deeper blacks, but as example, the Pure blows the Note 4 display for VR movie watching. I use the FreeFly VR set with the Pure. The Note 4 in comparison is a screen door mess due to the pentile display. The Note 4 pentile dots are very obvious when zoomed up with the FreeFly and Gear VR (both have same field of view).

Overall I find the Pure display better than the Note 4- in part due to the lack of pentile dots with VR.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
So can anyone explain Adaptive Brightness in a better way? I know it's not auto-brightness but for example today I get the screen always brightening up when I'm tapping. For example I'm in a menu and when I tap the screen goes bright for a second and then it gets dimmer. It's very annoying.
Are there any tips?

rushmore

May 3, 2011
Visit site
So can anyone explain Adaptive Brightness in a better way? I know it's not auto-brightness but for example today I get the screen always brightening up when I'm tapping. For example I'm in a menu and when I tap the screen goes bright for a second and then it gets dimmer. It's very annoying.
Are there any tips?

It is supposed to sense the level of ambient light and adjust accordingly. I do not use it since find 20% a good compromise and see it fine outside as well. If real sunny, I have a hard time with any display and not a fan of setting to full brightness due to battery drain.

VoltaicShock

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Here is my question how do you all know the percent you are set at? I assume you are guessing since the slider doesn't actually show the percentage?

I do wish Android would show the percentage from the notification shade when I change it.

I currently keep my 2013 Nexus 5 at around 50%

jpr196

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Here is my question how do you all know the percent you are set at? I assume you are guessing since the slider doesn't actually show the percentage?

I do wish Android would show the percentage from the notification shade when I change it.

I currently keep my 2013 Nexus 5 at around 50%

Yeah, I just estimate. If I remember correctly, older versions of Android showed the percentage. I think my Droid X did anyways.

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yea I've been wondering about that too... Pretty much the entire slider goes from SUPER bright down to "pretty damn bright still" haha. It's a weird negative to have, but my Note 4 if I brought it all the way down I could barely see the screen, even in the dark. Sometimes that's a good option to have, like if you wake up in the middle of the night and don't want to wake your girlfriend. But the darkest the Moto X Pure goes, is definitely bright enough to wake someone.

anon(39328)

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
20% for me. Coming from an iPhone 6, I find that 20% on this phone is about equal to 60-70% on the iPhone.

For the question about how to know what percentage it is, it is displayed with certain widgets (for example, HD Widgets). See icon next to weather in picture.

Attachments

• 11670.jpg
    11670.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 48

DarrenCarnall

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
...but my Note 4 if I brought it all the way down I could barely see the screen, even in the dark. Sometimes that's a good option to have, like if you wake up in the middle of the night

I use the app 'Screen Filter' for that. Let's you dim the screen right down to totally black. Perfect fit sneaky night time reading in the dark lol.

Loiter

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
It is supposed to sense the level of ambient light and adjust accordingly. I do not use it since find 20% a good compromise and see it fine outside as well. If real sunny, I have a hard time with any display and not a fan of setting to full brightness due to battery drain.

I'm leaning towards the same. It seems I get either a too dim or a too bright screen and I can't make it work.
I've always felt comfortable with low brightness, but I live in a sunny place and my problem was that I had to guess in order to increase the brightness when outside. That's why I'm trying to cope with adaptive brightness, without any success though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress