My Moto X Pure Edition Review

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the review. I'd been going back and forth between the Moto XPE and the Nexus 6P for the longest time before I went with the 6P, which I'm waiting to be delivered the end of the month. The reason why I went with the 6P is because of the larger battery, and fast updates. I can't deny still going back and forth, however, because of Moto's useful features on stock Android.

Because battery life is important to me, though, I keep wondering if I should hold off and wait until the 2016 Moto X, when the phone will have the more efficient SD 820 (even though I'm not concerned about the 810) and a hopefully bigger battery, to go along with the Moto features, possible fingerprint scanner, and everything else.

Posted via the Android Central App

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I replaced my 2013 Moto X with the Pure Edition and I love it. Doesn't overheat, battery time is great. I think you'll be pleased if you go with it.

After going back and forth trying to decide between the Moto X PE and Nexus 6P as a replacement for my 2013 Moto X, I finally got an MXPE. I just didn't want to give up the Moto features, and I just think the Moto X is a nicer looking phone than the Nexus 6P. And hey, Moto Maker.

My new MXPE arrived while I was at work yesterday, so I'm still getting to know the new phone and have to re-do my home screen, pair with my car Bluetooth etc., but here are a few first impressions.

1. It's big. Seriously huge. I knew it would be, but when I unboxed it and it set it on the countertop side by side with my 2013 MX, it was comical. But I am enjoying the larger screen real estate and I don't think it will take long to get used to the size. I think it would be uncomfortable in a front pocket (especially when sitting) but almost all of my pants have cargo pockets, so the size is OK as far as that goes, it's just a matter of getting used to handling the thing.

2. I tried the included bumper, but didn't like it. The bumper adds bulk to an already large phone, is stiff and hard to the touch, and is a little loose on the sides. So the phone is totally naked and will stay that way unless I find a soft, clear bumper that doesn't add a lot of bulk.

2. The display is gorgeous. I had read a lot of reviews complaining about the change from AMOLED to LCD, and how the LCD turns on the whole screen for Moto Display, but so far I think the display is beautiful and am not at all bothered by "lighting up the whole lockscreen" (huh? it's black).

3. It did not like "OK Google" as a launch phrase for Moto Voice, complaining it didn't have enough syllables. I used "OK Google" for 2 years on my 2013 MX (I experimented with a few other phrases when the update allowed customization, but never found one that worked as consistently without making me feel silly), so it was a bit jarring to have to change. I finally ended up with "Spock to Enterprise" ☺. It makes me happy, and anyone who knows me will get a kick out of that, and if I'm in a situation where I'd feel self-conscious I can always use the more discreet hold-phone-to-ear trigger (great to have that option).

4. I had some trouble getting the chop-chop for flashlight to work, until I discovered you have to chop really hard, and now I can do it reliably.

5. Attentive Display is awesome. I spent a lot of time fiddling with the phone last night, and it was great not having the screen time out.

That's about it for now. So far I like it a lot.

Posted via the Android Central App

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
4. I had some trouble getting the chop-chop for flashlight to work, until I discovered you have to chop really hard, and now I can do it reliably.

Take it from someone who started out shaking the MXPE pretty violently to activate the flashlight... I discovered that the real key is to make sure you're holding the phone at a 90 angle (that is, level in landscape.)

If you do that it takes much less effort. I can do a pretty compact motion that way.

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, I was pretty careful about the 90 degree angle alignment, but it just wasn't working. I'll try again, though. And anyway, the voice command to turn the flashlight on/off works well.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
3. It did not like "OK Google" as a launch phrase for Moto Voice, complaining it didn't have enough syllables. I used "OK Google" for 2 years on my 2013 MX

I did too on my 2013 X! That's too bad that the new one doesn't like that phrase. I went with "OK Moto X" this time and hang tried anything else.