Moto x pure phone temps and battery

Wellcraft26

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys, I got a new x pure from b&h for black Friday sale, been using the phone for less than 3 weeks now. The first few days was awesome but now the phones overheat. I installed cooler master to monitor temps as I starter feeling the phone overheating and it gets to between 110 degree to 113 degree in probably about 20 minutes +/- and the battery sucks too. My wife took it yesterday as I wanted to give her moto g4 plus a try, she said that she didn't use my phone but to take some calls from me and at after an 8 hour shift there was only 30% battery left.

Since I kept her phone I played with it some and it only got to about 102 degrees with the cover, mine doesn't have a cover.

At this point I'm not sure what to do, if get a replacement, exchange it for a G4 plus but I haven't really play with my wife's phone to tell if it could have the same issue or just keep my Samsung s4 until next year hoping it doesn't die before Christmas when I would be trying to upgrade again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you show us some screenshots of the battery usage, so we can determine if it might be due to poor signal or some other common culprit? Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

Wellcraft26

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
I will definitely do that. I wouldn't like to return it as I see so many great reviews about this phone in amazon and not that great with the g4 plus. I really like the phone other than the overheating and battery draining. I'm afraid of having to send the phone for warranty after the return policy expires to find out I just get a refurbished unit with probably the same issues.

Wellcraft26

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Btw forgot to mention that I was talking to my dad or the phone for 19 minutes and it got to 103 degrees, that was only talking wasn't doing anything else.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If your cell signal is bad, that could be the main explanation, since poor signal causes the phone to work harder to maintain the signal, which causes things to heat up.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
It does get warm, and sometimes hot. I've had mine almost a year now, and although it does get hot, it has never shutdown, or had any other ill effects from the heat, AFAIK

Wellcraft26

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys for the help, I should be posting the screen shots late today as I'm waiting to get down to 30 to 20%. I installed the Gsam app per advice and it looks like the main problem is the radio signal so far. Not sure why as we live in an are were I always had good signal and no issues with my Samsung s4.

I also realize that the firs few days I try the phone and that I didn't have any issue was because the phone wasn't connected to verizon. I was using the phone via WiFi, browsing, Netflix etc.... and everything was fine until I went to verizon and activated the phone, that's when I started having the overheating and battery drain issue, issue have LTE if that helps. I'm not an expert whe it comes to phones ans that's why I'm posting all the details.

This is an unloked phone if that helps also, but I believe ll the x pure are unloked.

Wellcraft26

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
I took a screenshot this morning of the temp and Gsam. I know is not down to 30% or 20% but I was so impressed as how much the radio signal is afecting this phone. Kind of getting frustrated as I do like the phone but not liking the the overheating and battery life. I still have the G4 plus that I need to return but might give a try before returning it. Got that phone from amazon and couldn't cancel it on time and I still have it here at home.

Been looking other options (phones) but I don't want to spend much more than what I paid for this phone ($269 x pure).

The temp is just browsing, I didn't even make a call during the morning.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170105-080605.jpg
    Screenshot_20170105-080605.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot_20170105-080537.jpg
    Screenshot_20170105-080537.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 20

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Your screenshots show a couple of things.

You're having a weak signal for a long time. This will drain your battery faster, specially when LTE is enabled.

Your awake bar is almost solid. Some app/process is keeping your phone awake most of the time. It could be difficult to pin the culprit, but I'd start for the usual suspects. Disable, or uninstall, any cleaner, booster or similar app, including that cooler master.

Another thing. It's kind of a long shot but easy to check. Go to settings - date & time and see what options are enabled.

Wellcraft26

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Javier for the help, how can I disable LTE?

I just uninstalled the cooler app and will try to uninstall whatever I don't use.

No, i don't have a case yet, but I need to get one if i keep it as I do a lot of work outdoors and need to protect the phone, I know it will make things worse.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I didn't mean you have to disable LTE (4G). I meant that the battery will drain faster when using mobile data while you have a weak cell signal.

Wellcraft26

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Gotcha, so I guess at this point there isn't much to do, only thing would be to monitor the active apps?

Is this a problem with Moto phones, specifically the x pure? The reason I ask is because I had a Samsung s4 and didn't have any issues and I still live in the same house and do all my stuff in the same area.

Not sure if I should return the phone and wait til next year and try to get something different, been an unlocked phone make any difference?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm not familiar with all the technical stuff when it comes to smart phones.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
That's strange. Moto radios are pretty good, if not the best, and usually they can get better signal than other devices. I would try a couple of things.

You could use your SIM card on a different device and see if the cell signal improves or stays the same. If this is not possible then switch your phone off, take the card out, check that it's allright and clean and pop it back.

Also, charge your phone until full, go to settings - more (under wireless & networks) - mobile networks - preferred network type and switch it to 3G. Use your phone normally and check your battery stats after a while.

I assume you have updated the system to the latest version. You could try wiping the cache partition from recovery. There's was a similar bug affecting older Moto X versions while still running Lollipop. Not exactly the same, but worth a try anyway.

Wellcraft26

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
That's what I always heard. Unfortunately I can't try the sim in another phone as this one has NFC and the g4plus doesn't, that was the first issue I had and the Verizon representative had to get a different one as they use different sim cards.

Took a snapshot of the prefer network to see who's is the one you recommend as it's set to global right now.

The phone has the latest update, I double checked that just in case. Sorry for the ignorance but I have no idea how to wipe the cache partition from recovery. Could you please guide me step by step?

At this point I'm willing to try everything as I would like the keep the phone.i have deleted everything I don't really use and it seems to be helping as it looks like it isn't getting hot, I assume it could the the cooler master app lol.

Thanks in advance and thanks again for the help, really appreciate.

JR.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170105-164458.jpg
    Screenshot_20170105-164458.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 18

Wellcraft26

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Just took these other 2 snapshots now that is at 27%.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170105-171000.jpg
    Screenshot_20170105-171000.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot_20170105-170808.jpg
    Screenshot_20170105-170808.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 14

Wellcraft26

Nov 27, 2016
Visit site
Btw, is there a way to turn the screen off while I'm on a phone call without having to press the power button?

Also, I see the phone waking up very often, the screen that has the time and the lock icon. I'm guessing this can be also something that could help drain the battery.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You could try choosing LTE/CDMA instead of Global, and see if that makes a difference.

Here are the cache wipe steps for future reference: https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/107107/p/30,6720,9541

The screen should automatically be turning off on a call when you hold it against your ear. If it isn't, that might mean the proximity sensor is faulty. Does the same thing happen in Safe Mode as well? https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/107123/p/30,6720,9541

I'm not sure how much the ambient display feature should be using battery. GSam seems to be placing the lion's share of battery usage on the Phone Radio, so I'm guessing the ambient display doesn't contribute that much.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer