Moto X - Apps randomly crashing, lock screen issues

nisecal

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
I just got the Moto X this past week and I'm really happy with it, but I keep having a few issues that are kinda troublesome.

One is that apps are crashing randomly, or not even opening at all. Example: I open Facebook app. I get a blank screen. I wait to see if it does anything. I can exit to the home screen if I want, so the phone isn't frozen or anything. After like 30 seconds or so, I'll get the "Facebook isn't responding. Do you want to close it?" message. I close out and try again, but it repeats.
This happens randomly, to any app, and not all the time... maybe 50% actually? I'm not sure since I've only been using the phone regularly since Thursday!
I saw a few posts here and there from people saying they had similar problems and blamed it on 4.4 ... so maybe that's my situation, too??

Another problem I keep having is that my phone won't always respond when I hit the unlock button. I can click it four or five times and nothing appears on the screen, not even active display.
I think this happens if I hit the button too fast before active display can appear...but once in a while there's no problems and it works fine so I really have no clue.
Also, related: when I unlock from the active display screen, sometimes it takes me to the regular lock screen where I have to unlock it a second time! Aaagh!

Thanks in advance for any help & tips!! I really like the Moto X so I want to hurry up and get it working smoothly :)

(a side note: rebooting my phone seems to fix the issues temporarily but they come back after a while...)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I just got the Moto X this past week and I'm really happy with it, but I keep having a few issues that are kinda troublesome.

One is that apps are crashing randomly, or not even opening at all. Example: I open Facebook app. I get a blank screen. I wait to see if it does anything. I can exit to the home screen if I want, so the phone isn't frozen or anything. After like 30 seconds or so, I'll get the "Facebook isn't responding. Do you want to close it?" message. I close out and try again, but it repeats.
This happens randomly, to any app, and not all the time... maybe 50% actually? I'm not sure since I've only been using the phone regularly since Thursday!
I saw a few posts here and there from people saying they had similar problems and blamed it on 4.4 ... so maybe that's my situation, too??

Another problem I keep having is that my phone won't always respond when I hit the unlock button. I can click it four or five times and nothing appears on the screen, not even active display.
I think this happens if I hit the button too fast before active display can appear...but once in a while there's no problems and it works fine so I really have no clue.
Also, related: when I unlock from the active display screen, sometimes it takes me to the regular lock screen where I have to unlock it a second time! Aaagh!

Thanks in advance for any help & tips!! I really like the Moto X so I want to hurry up and get it working smoothly :)

(a side note: rebooting my phone seems to fix the issues temporarily but they come back after a while...)
Welcome to Android Central :)
First, I'd try clearing the system cache in recovery. If that doesn't work, do a factory reset. Sometimes it's necessary after a major OS update

Kelly Burby

Banned
Nov 26, 2013
Visit site

Well, It looks like you have installed an application that is interfering with the normal working of the device, there are two options first is you need to identify that application and then uninstalling it, and if you say you have no idea what that application is then i would suggest you to factory reset your device. As factory resetting will bring your phone back to the normal state. So, now its up to you what you are going to do cheers for your Moto X running smoothly and perfectly again.

nisecal

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to both of you for the welcome and help! :)
I'm gonna go ahead and do a factory reset. I was a little afraid of doing one because I had issues with activation and had to go in to a Sprint store to get everything sorted out... but I'll take the risk! Here's hoping it works!!

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to both of you for the welcome and help! :)
I'm gonna go ahead and do a factory reset. I was a little afraid of doing one because I had issues with activation and had to go in to a Sprint store to get everything sorted out... but I'll take the risk! Here's hoping it works!!

you are already activated so i dont think you will have any problem after a factory reset

nisecal

Jan 20, 2014
Visit site
An update! I haven't had any problems since the factory reset, so seems like (as usual) it was the magic thing needed!
Thanks for all your help everyone :D

Ritu Ranjan4u

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
An update! I haven't had any problems since the factory reset, so seems like (as usual) it was the magic thing needed!
Thanks for all your help everyone :D

Dear users,

I'm having the same problems of crashing apps in my moto x.

I've already done the recovery and factory reset but the problem continues.

While i was using fb it got hang and displayed fb is not responding,similar problems with youtube.

Kindly suggest me what to do????
Or may be how to identify that one app which is creating problems for the other apps.

Thanks.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Dear users,

I'm having the same problems of crashing apps in my moto x.

I've already done the recovery and factory reset but the problem continues.

While i was using fb it got hang and displayed fb is not responding,similar problems with youtube.

Kindly suggest me what to do????
Or may be how to identify that one app which is creating problems for the other apps.

Thanks.

If I were you, I would move past the crossed fingers/hoping for magic stage to diagnosis.
As was indicated in a previous post, it sounds like some app isn't playing nicely. The process then is to do a controlled reinstall of apps. You say that Facebook is stalling, so I assume you added all your apps back in.

Start with another factory reset and test with no apps installed. You said Youtube was acting up, is it acting up with no other apps installed? If so, then it's time to look at possible issues with the phone itself. If not, then install Only Facebook and see if there's problems there. If not, add apps one at a time until you find the one that's blowing you out of the water.