Moto X: To Tether or not to Tether that is the question

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Using my 1053 X on ST I've just come to realize the possibilities of utilizing my X as a portal for all internet traffic around the house.
Color me dull minded for just thinking of this. From comments I assume others do this as a "matter of course".
How much data is needed to do this?
Would think this is extremely cost effective.
Help me think this out, is this too good to be true?
TIA

Last edited by a moderator:

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: To Tether or not to Tether that is the question

not really, just enabled it utilizing a USB cable and ran my PC through it.
Seems to work.
Just activated a access point connected my wife's laptop/outlook account.
again, seems to work.

Last edited:

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Tethering is not allowed by ST data policy. Even though your not on a contract you did agree to their data policy. WiFi tethering should be blocked but KitKat supports native USB tether which is not always detectable by the mobile ISP. But be advised you are breaching your agreement. If discovered by ST they will blacklist your device so it can never be activated on their network again.

http://www.pissedconsumer.com/revie...-tethering-android-phones-20120622326590.html

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

Tethering is not allowed by ST data policy. Even though your not on a contract you did agree to their data policy. WiFi tethering should be blocked but KitKat supports native USB tether which is not always detectable by the mobile ISP. But be advised you are breaching your agreement. If discovered by ST they will blacklist your device so it can never be activated on their network again.

Straight Talk Wireless - Straighttalk users BEWARE of tethering Android phones Review 278455 Jun 22, Westminster, California, Samsung Galaxy Precedent @ Pissed Consumer

Man that stinks, how draconian.
Are there carriers that allow/encourage tethering?
hmm...like ATT?
Thanks for the heads up.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

I know Verizon includes Tethering with most of their post-pay plans but they aren't cheap. At&t I think has tethering as a plan addon but not sure maybe someone that has them can cover that for you. I use T-Mobile atm and for my line to get unlimted 4g LTE with 5gb of Wifi tether it is just $30 extra on my family plan.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

Are there carriers that allow/encourage tethering?

Not sure about "encourage," but if you pay for data in any package it will include the ability to tether.

We use the TMo network (local carrier) and Tethering right now. We cancelled the land-line two months back and Tethering is the only way for data in the house. Two laptops and three phones.

We had not used the land-line as a phone for a year or more but the carrier insisted we had to have it in order to get DSL. Once we got 4G to our local towers, screw the land-line vultures. We have unlimited data for 60-bucks and dropped the $77 land line and phone, so, yes, it is economical, for us, anyway.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Not sure about "encourage," but if you pay for data in any package it will include the ability to tether.

We use the TMo network (local carrier) and Tethering right now. We cancelled the land-line two months back and Tethering is the only way for data in the house. Two laptops and three phones.

We had not used the land-line as a phone for a year or more but the carrier insisted we had to have it in order to get DSL. Once we got 4G to our local towers, screw the land-line vultures. We have unlimited data for 60-bucks and dropped the $77 land line and phone, so, yes, it is economical, for us, anyway.

Only problem is they don't offer unlimited tethering any more to new customers. Only unlimited handset data plus 5gb Smartphone Mobile HotSpot.

http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html#lshop_plans_1

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

I tried to use a dual sim cell phone to take the place of our land line. Wife didn't like the idea of cell all the time....
So have to have a landline.
T-M signal is not that great around me. Shows a good signal outside but inside it evaporates.
That leaves AT&T, VZ....
Right now using ST-AT&T towers and signal is good. VZ has the best signal....but,
VZ is ruthless with their pricing. Just left their wireless. They told me don't qualify for their advertised triple play but could save $10/month by signing a two year contract.
Yeah, right.
Looking into DTV/Comcast/anybody-other-than-VZ.

PiggyMiddle

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site

When I looked at getting a smart phone I was still using a VZ pre-paid. The VZ, in their great wisdom and kindness to a staunch 9-year customer, abandoned my pre-paid plan and dumped 320 minutes I had in store. No guessing why I looked at another carrier. Could NOT be happier. More power to TMo and their future. As techie, my advice to all smart phone buyers is to seriously think about trapping oneself to the VZ frequencies. With my unlocked and TMo-based phone (XT1053) I can go to many more optional carriers. :)

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I'll say this, it's very easy to go over your data allotment on a PC. I'm on Verizon, with 10 gigs a month and I almost always come close to busting my cap. Stuff like automatic Windows Updates could kill your allotment if you don't shut them off.

I'm a somewhat heavy Internet user that chews up 80-120GB of bandwidth each month through my ISP, so YMMV. :p

Posted via Android Central App

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

I use over 200gb a month with Comcast broadband i can't even think of 10gb a month.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I use over 200gb a month with Comcast broadband i can't even think of 10gb a month.

No kidding. 7-8 GB's/month of my mobile data gets consumed on phone use/content. The remainder is laptop use when traveling.

Posted via Android Central App

oldDummy

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site

Man, doesn't look very promising.
Can it be done?
Appears: not really.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

If you're only browsing the internet as a light user and you pay careful attention to not update huge things on your PC, then I'd say it can be done in a pinch, but you're severely limiting your internet experience. I tethered my Desktop and my Laptop through my Moto X for a solid week after I moved while I was waiting to get my internet up and running. It worked perfectly fine, but I was watching my data usage like a hawk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38