Moto X battery size ruins everything for me, anyone else?

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Also, I understand that people have different usage patterns. If the X doesn't do what they want there are other options. By all accounts the new X has better battery life than the old X, so if the old X wasn't enough don't bother with the new one. Safe assumption right?
right. A second reason I'm not interested in that phone. (That and the size)

My Moto X has recently gotten much worse. I wonder if it's KitKat. I'm needing to charge it by lunchtime at work.

(I don't have WiFi during the day. I think many people don't.)

KennyJohnson

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Pre-orders will start on Tuesday. Who's ordering

View attachment 136946
Moto X (2014) review: Have it your way - page 3 - GSMArena.com

"Undoubtedly, the reduced battery capacity compared to today's standards is the price the new Moto X paid for being so good looking. The manufacturer aims to offset this shortcoming by offering additional accessories that include a rapid charger and a mini battery pack."

I think this about seals the nail in the coffin. I'm going to pass on the Moto X. Motorola really made a misstep with the battery and they should pay for it.

I bought one. I'm fine with the compromise. The other players jack up android so much that I don't want to use the devices.

Posted via Android Central App

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Pre-orders will start on Tuesday. Who's ordering

I bought one. I'm fine with the compromise. The other players jack up android so much that I don't want to use the devices.

Posted via Android Central App

Post impressions when you get it! Would love to hear some real world battery usage stories.

mtg5j

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
How does the X (original, or the 2014) battery life compare to an iPhone 5? I've seen a ton of comparisons to other Android flagships, but I'm thinking of switching from Apple to Android.

acedl

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Moto X is better in some tests. All depends on the user. I have read ALOT of reviews - everyone seems to a have different answer heh. My wife is always charging her iPhone 5s. Torn as well, we will have to wait and see.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Mileage depends on how you use your phone ..I get close to ,4hrs screen consistently on my 2014 moto x (I have one)

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-09-07-01-55-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-07-01-55-09.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Screenshot_2014-09-07-01-55-03.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-09-07-01-55-03.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 59

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
That's what I was trying to get at earlier. If the 1st gen X is sufficient, then anything >= X should be sufficient as well. As a year long X owner, I am well aware of what I need to do to manage battery life - charge it every night. Getting 18-24 hours on the current X is pretty easy/common. I've been over 24 multiple times, but it usally involves '5-6 hours of I was sleeping' and Moto Assist pushes most distractions away during that time. I don't micromanage settings and I will not do that with any phone. GPS is always on, WiFi is always on, LTE is always on, sync is always on.

If you think about it, including the new turbo charger in the calculation, if you are a person who can be near an outlet for more than 15-30 minutes every 48 hours (literally every smartphone owner in america), then this phone will outlast your needs. If you need more than that, then there are other devices and/or external chargers and/or different ways to manage charging opportunities.

The only thing that would make the battery size an experience ruining factor is if battery life tanked and was suddenly 12 hours. As is, it improved. How is improving an experience ruining factor? That's simply absurd.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. I think it's a ridiculous notion that a phone is FAIL unless you can take it off the charger at 5am, militantly avoid charging it while you use the hell out of it all day, then go to sleep at night without plugging it in, and wake up the next morning with 40%-plus battery left.

Obviously, that's hyperbole, but I have to admit to being influenced by that general kind of thinking while living with my 2013 Moto X. But I'm shifting my paradigm with the 2014 X. It is absolutely the phone I want, no questions asked, and I already sprung for two turbo chargers -- one for the office and one for everywhere else.

In addition -- and this is a big deal -- I just received my Power Pack Micro today. I could swear I saw a report that it was only 400 mAh, and I still bought it. However, I opened up the package and found that it's 1500 mAh. The rate of charge is just a little over 1 mAh/minute, and it is TINY for that much juice. I am very happy with the purchase and think it and the turbo charger will completely negate any concerns I would have had with the phone's battery life.

Frankly, I think Moto took the CORRECT approach, but most people just haven't realized it yet. They optimized the phone for look, feel, fit, finish, and performance, and a 2300 mAh battery is all they could fit. And they are offering two different optional solutions that people can choose to tailor the battery experience to fit their needs. Because of the slightly lower price point than other flagships, I can easily justify my investments in those other options, instead of having to maybe pay more for a bulkier phone with better battery life out of the box.

Maybe I'm just in Moto fanboy mode, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Now to keep waiting until next Friday (or hopefully sooner) for my new X to arrive...

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I think it's a ridiculous notion that a phone is FAIL unless you can take it off the charger at 5am, militantly avoid charging it while you use the hell out of it all day, then go to sleep at night without plugging it in, and wake up the next morning with 40%-plus battery left.

Obviously, that's hyperbole, but I have to admit to being influenced by that general kind of thinking while living with my 2013 Moto X. But I'm shifting my paradigm with the 2014 X. It is absolutely the phone I want, no questions asked, and I already sprung for two turbo chargers -- one for the office and one for everywhere else.

In addition -- and this is a big deal -- I just received my Power Pack Micro today. I could swear I saw a report that it was only 400 mAh, and I still bought it. However, I opened up the package and found that it's 1500 mAh. The rate of charge is just a little over 1 mAh/minute, and it is TINY for that much juice. I am very happy with the purchase and think it and the turbo charger will completely negate any concerns I would have had with the phone's battery life.

Frankly, I think Moto took the CORRECT approach, but most people just haven't realized it yet. They optimized the phone for look, feel, fit, finish, and performance, and a 2300 mAh battery is all they could fit. And they are offering two different optional solutions that people can choose to tailor the battery experience to fit their needs. Because of the slightly lower price point than other flagships, I can easily justify my investments in those other options, instead of having to maybe pay more for a bulkier phone with better battery life out of the box.

Maybe I'm just in Moto fanboy mode, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Now to keep waiting until next Friday (or hopefully sooner) for my new X to arrive...
I just don't know how many people want to shell out an additional $100 on an external charger and two extra quick chargers. And now you have two devices to plug in every night. I have an external charger that I take with me on road trips and things of that nature but I wouldn't want to carry one everyday no matter how small it was. I'm glad you found a solution that works for you I'm just not sure that most people will want to do the same. I'm not bashing you or the new Moto X - I'm still on the fence and may get one - but they really dropped the ball on the battery and probably the camera also. I mean I could carry another camera with me and that would solve the problem of a phone with a bad camera but that just isn't ideal to me..

DC Wuff

Nov 26, 2009
Visit site
I just don't know how many people want to shell out an additional $100 on an external charger and two extra quick chargers. And now you have two devices to plug in every night. I have an external charger that I take with me on road trips and things of that nature but I wouldn't want to carry one everyday no matter how small it was. I'm glad you found a solution that works for you I'm just not sure that most people will want to do the same. I'm not bashing you or the new Moto X - I'm still on the fence and may get one - but they really dropped the ball on the battery and probably the camera also. I mean I could carry another camera with me and that would solve the problem of a phone with a bad camera but that just isn't ideal to me..

I hear ya. I wouldn't expect everyone to drop $100 extra on the Power Pack Micro and two turbo chargers. That was just what I chose to do.

Think of it this way: you could pay the extra money and deal with the extra bulk and have a phone that COULD get you through the worst-case scenario. But go beyond an extra 300-500 mAh and imagine what an extra 1500 mAh of battery would do to the form factor. I'd rather pay the extra $40 for the PPM and have a perfect form-factor phone at an amazing price. From this point forward, I'll have the ability to rock 3800 mAh effortlessly. That doesn't even take into consideration the ability to throw the phone on a turbo charger for 15 minutes and add 8 hours of life to it.

Also, on the camera -- if this camera is better than the '13 Moto X camera, then I'm thrilled. I know I'm in the minority (perhaps a minority of 1?), but I consistently get really good pictures with mine, regardless of lighting. Maybe my expectations are lower and/or my use cases are different than most, in that I usually have the luxury of preparing my subject matter for the photo, and I usually have the luxury of taking multiple shots to get the exposure and focus right (I'm not routinely trying to take pictures of people in motion -- either voluntarily or involuntarily ;-) -- in a dark club or bar, for example).

Last edited:

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Of course the alternative may be to shell out an additional $100 for a phone with a larger battery and an inferior interface, so...
I agree that the Moto X has a better interface than most phones but to most people that would be a very subjective topic. However, comparing a 3000mah battery to a 2300mah is pretty black and white..

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
However, comparing a 3000mah battery to a 2300mah is pretty black and white..

On paper it is. But battery life is subjective as well. We all get different battery times with our phones. There is just too many factors. If Motorola put in a larger battery, some things would have possibly suffered. Design, missing features, etc. to name a couple. Here's a quick comparison on the battery size. My wife's G3, while quite a different phone, has a 3000mAh battery. Her phone does not last all day. Why? Screen? Maybe. Her SOT is about 3 hours. Whatever the reason is, it does not last all day and it has a rather large battery. My OG X last me all day and then some depending how my day goes. There are some people that get great battery life on a G3 and others will not. This is the case with every phone. I believe that most people will find the battery life on the '14 X to be just fine. The others that are really worried about it probably shouldn't buy it. I'm just not sure why they haven't moved on.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
On paper it is. But battery life is subjective as well. We all get different battery times with our phones. There is just too many factors. If Motorola put in a larger battery, some things would have possibly suffered. Design, missing features, etc. to name a couple. Here's a quick comparison on the battery size. My wife's G3, while quite a different phone, has a 3000mAh battery. Her phone does not last all day. Why? Screen? Maybe. Her SOT is about 3 hours. Whatever the reason is, it does not last all day and it has a rather large battery. My OG X last me all day and then some depending how my day goes. There are some people that get great battery life on a G3 and others will not. This is the case with every phone. I believe that most people will find the battery life on the '14 X to be just fine. The others that are really worried about it probably shouldn't buy it. I'm just not sure why they haven't moved on.

Absolutely, the number is 100% irrelevant unless all other factors are equal. What matters is the performance. Moto taught us this last year on the battery size, number of cores, etc, etc... and everyone has already forgotten. If you don't trust Moto's own lesson here... Apple does the same thing; every year. If I can get 24+ hours out of a 200mAh battery, then give me a 200mAh battery.

Sincerely,
Could. Not. Care. Less. About. Non. Correlated. Spec. Number.

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I can pretty easily get 5 hours SOT on my G3. I got 3 max on my 2013 Moto X. There is nothing really subjective about that. My usage was basically the same. 2014 Moto X won't be much better as AnandTech and MKBHD have both published extensive reviews and said 2.5-3 SOT on the new Moto X. Look, I still may get one but let's not act like the battery life will be great, or even good. Just like I deal with not as fluid of OS on the G3 as I had on my 2013 Moto X. Everyone phone has a compromise..

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Imagine if Motorola was able to get a larger battery and better camera into device... it would've been the Android phone to beat. It gets so many other things right. It's sincerely a shame.

How were they able to get such a large battery into the Maxxx while keeping it so thin and small? What happened here that the Moto X couldn't support a larger battery?

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I can pretty easily get 5 hours SOT on my G3. I got 3 max on my 2013 Moto X. There is nothing really subjective about that. My usage was basically the same. 2014 Moto X won't be much better as AnandTech and MKBHD have both published extensive reviews and said 2.5-3 SOT on the new Moto X. Look, I still may get one but let's not act like the battery life will be great, or even good. Just like I deal with not as fluid of OS on the G3 as I had on my 2013 Moto X. Everyone phone has a compromise..

It's subjective cause what you and I consider good battery life is different. Just like how you and my wife can get different SOT and standby times on the G3, you and I will get different times on the Moto X. Here's the thing, the X doesn't have a large battery. That may suck for some, but it is what it is and by stating your issues with it on here isn't going to change that.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I bet you it's the enlarged dimple that forced them to have a smaller battery! Think about it, that dimple means the space around it can't be filled either, unless they got a "dimpled" battery too.

Half joking but half serious.

Has there been a teardown of this device yet?

Crimsonforce

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
It's subjective cause what you and I consider good battery life is different. Just like how you and my wife can get different SOT and standby times on the G3, you and I will get different times on the Moto X. Here's the thing, the X doesn't have a large battery. That may suck for some, but it is what it is and by stating your issues with it on here isn't going to change that.
What I'm saying though is that two separate professional tech reviews saying they get 2.5 hours SOT isn't really subjective. They weren't playing games or doing anything extreme that would vary much from normal usage. I'm just saying if most people are going to expect 4.5 hours SOT on the new moto X I think they are going to be disappointed. I mean I can set my G3 on a static webpage with brightness at 0 and let it just sit there and probably get 8 hours of SOT. If that's what you mean it's subjective then yea I guess it is. I was basing my expectations off of normal usage of the phone - not anything out of the ordinary..

Oh my bad. I thought this was a discussion forum for the Moto X..

Last edited:

delrey1900

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Oh my bad. I thought this was a discussion forum for the Moto X..

It is. I understand that you don't like the fact that the new X doesn't have a bigger battery. You must really like the rest of the phone to be on here stating your issues with it. But understand that there are plenty of people that don't have issues with the battery and the phone will perform to their needs. And DC Wuff gave a decent work around that may work for some. I'm not trying to attack you personally but there a few that keep beating a dead horse here with the battery and I believe it's not a big of an issue as some are stating it is. As I stated above, each phone will work different for everyone. The battery usage difference that you and my wife are seeing with the G3 proves that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress