Is the Moto X 1st gen (2013) still worth it?

gtowncook

May 21, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 4 is dying/fritzing and I need another affordable unlocked phone. I'm strongly considering a new Moto X 1st gen (2013) for a good price on Amazon. I simply can't afford the 2014 edition.

So, what do you think, is the Moto X 1st gen (2013) still worth it? Or will I behind the curve with that model? The catch is that I live overseas and will need this phone to be robust enough for 2-3 years before I return back to the States.

Thanks.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I would recommend it, however I'll explain some of the downsides.

The Moto X was a great device right from the time it launched, very few things it didn't get right. And Motorola promises quick updates.

However with that said the Moto X launched with slightly outdated specifications even at launch, and while Android doesn't need beastly specifications anymore it might in the future.

A phone can last as long as you want it to, but if updates matter to you the Moto X 2013 is almost going to get EOL'd from the looks of it, maybe Lollipop is the last update for it(and if not, one update will be left).

So in terms of updates the best case scenario is that you keep getting updates for another year and the worst is that Lollipop is the last update for the device.

Also the camera will probably be better than your Nexus 4 but not be extremely good, battery life isn't so great either.

But it has some amazing Motorola additions that I'm sure you will like.

If you can overcome the hurdles I've mentioned above, go for it and get a Moto X 2013.

TelecasterM

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
I bought my Moto X outright at $250 amonth ago. I love it so far. I was going to get a Moto G, but it lacks LTE and has less RAM.

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
as amazing as the phone is, it may not last 2-3 years. my moto x is now 16 months old and im just starting to see the battery drain quickly, performance is great for the most part, i try to keep over 4 gb free on it so it doesnt lag or anything.

i dont have an upgrade until next summer so im not sure if i can hold out til then. so maybe 2 years could work if you dont use the phone too heavily

anon(43138)

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Buy a Developer Edition and you're set. I just bought one off of Craigslist for $190. I'm in love :). Chose this after using the Turbo and X 2014.

Posted via the Android Central App

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm switching carriers and decided to get another 2013. This time its the GSM developer edition (has Sprint). I was thinking the 2014 but did not want to spend $150 extra for out of contract (I have two codes for the $140 2014). $280 for the xt1053 DE is good value.

I have seen the battery get crappy too, but it's Sprint's bad network where I work is to blame.

Keldog

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
They're selling new 2013 32GB Developer Editions on EBay for less than $200. They are unlocked, and if I was looking for a new 2013 Moto X, i'd be going that route. My 2013 Verizon model is still running Kit Kat, so it's smooth as can be. It'll get upgraded to Lollipop, but I don't expect any official updates after that. That may be the catch for you, I don't know if it'll last 2-3 years. I plan on keeping this phone for another year, maybe two, then upgrade.

The size of the phone is perfect for me, and the touchless and assist functions are pretty nifty. Overall, i'm happy with the phone.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I did see those on eBay but I was looking new in the box instead of used specifically for a fresher battery.

ccontard

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I think it's worth it. I replaced my N4 with a new-in-box 2013 Moto X DE just recently (via the eBay offer mentioned in a recent AC article, actually). I am quite happy with it. The size is similar, and the Moto tweaks are useful (and seem to be beneficial to battery life). At worst, it is a lateral move from the N4 (which I also loved).

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I think it's still worth it too.
It's the perfect size for me and has all the features I need and actually use. :)

Sent from my XT1060

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I totally think it's worth it too. The people that say oh..it might not run things in the future are just being silly because the same could be said for any phone.

Same with updates. A lot of phones sold THIS year might not get updated past lollipop. Just the way things are in the Android world.

Posted via Android Central App

chase1963

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes. And Lollipop is right around the corner. Great features. It's the first smartphone to actually prove raw specs isn't the be all end all. Active Display changed that imo.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I just my Developer Edition today. The back is smoother than the black XT1056. That has a grippy back. I won't matter since it will be in my platinum case.

VannTH

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I think it's still worth it. It's a great device and works really well. I seriously have no comments whatsoever.
Although I'm not sure I would keep it for 3 years, I'm sure I will keep it as an emergency device when I upgrade (I'm planning on doing it in a year, maybe a year and a half).

Greetings!

weksa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm still using the 2013 X, and although there are nicer phones out there, none of them have been compelling enough for me to purchase. Price isn't an issue for me. I'm looking forward to what manufacturers do with their smartphones in the next 1.5 years.

piratefan

May 2, 2011
Visit site
At home on WiFi, or anywhere I have strong cell signal, my battery is still as strong as day 1 - which was 13 months ago. At work where I get no signal and there is no WiFi the battery is gone by EOB.

The system specs are fine unless you're going to try to emulate PS3 games. There is no lag on mine as long as I keep the internal storage at about 3GB free space. I have done 2 security wipes in the time I've had the phone. I would suggest doing this with any phone just to maintain a healthy system.

anon(43138)

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
What isn't the 2013 X capable of that you need it to do? At $200 cheaper than the 2014 model...it is a ridiculous bargain.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non