How can I get wireless charging on the Moto X Style/Moto X Pure Edition?

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
One of the drawbacks for me is lack of wireless charging on the Moto Pure/Style. However, it can be installed with an aftermarket kit. There are a couple of ways to do it. The easiest way is to just plug the device into the micro usb at the bottom and then put a case over it. The only problem with this is that part of the appeal of MotoMaker is getting a nice back plate and this covers it up. The other way is to physically take off that nice backplate and put the device under it. Videos of taking the cover off a Moto X 2014 show it can be done, but there is a lot of adhesive and it can get pretty tricky. I am hoping Ifixit shows the removal of the back cover on the new Style/Pure so I can evaluate if I really want to do it. Here is the link showing the device. There are similar devices on the market, but this one looks pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEuXId2WV9w

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
seems like a lot of trouble with not much upside ... i like wireless charging and all, but I'll probably be using the turbo charger most times. plugging a wire into a micro USB once in awhile just doesn't seem like that much trouble. that said, I have an S4 and Nexus 4 (I'll be getting the Pure and one of the Nexus phones) so to be fair, I've never used either technology.

Posted via the Android Central App

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, for me, wireless charging is not a big deal right now. When the new standard comes out with its faster charging, then I will probably be more interested in it. I can see how it would be nice for some people that work in an office or are home a lot and just plop their phone down on a charger whenever they want. But, I'm not an office worker and I spend a lot of time riding my motorcycle and out in the woods and the wild, so, carrying a regular charger and auxiliary battery pack is much more convenient for me. I have a dock next to my bed on my nightstand that I plug my phone into every night, and that is very simple and easy, plus it angles my phone so I can just take a quick glance over at it to get the time while it's in the dock.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Original Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: How to get wireless charging for 2015 Style/Pure

Never felt wireless charging was a big need given how quickly rapid chargers can handle what I need. Plus you have to put this on and off everytime you want to actually use your microUSB slot.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Never felt wireless charging was a big need given how quickly rapid chargers can handle what I need. Plus you have to put this on and off everytime you want to actually use your microUSB slot.

This is how I interpret it. "Want wireless charging? Then plug your phone into this thing to do it. Then, when it's charged, unplug it to enjoy it as you prefer." So.....in other words, is a bulky and ugly plugged charger.

I'll pass.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I initially wanted wireless charging but it's slow. I'd rather spend $20 on a dual 2.8A USB charger then on a wireless charger. It's a hassle to put it on the charger and if you need it while its charging, its useless. Especially with non-removeable battery, you can't just put a fresh battery like I do on my LG G3.

CVisk

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site

They should have just added wireless charging to begin with. It is becoming more and more popular. I now have 4 Tylt wireless chargers and use them all the time to keep my G3 topped off as much as possible. I am very interested in this phone.

Posted via Android Central App

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

They should have just added wireless charging to begin with. It is becoming more and more popular. I now have 4 Tylt wireless chargers and use them all the time to keep my G3 topped off as much as possible. I am very interested in this phone.

Posted via Android Central App

Oh well...

Now you can either buy the XPE, or get a phone that works with your wireless charger.

No sense in being put out about it.

mabr82

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site

Still don't think in its current iteration wireless charging is all that. Once charging over WiFi kicks in then that's when it will be worth it. Otherwise just spend the extra 1 second sticking the USB in. #laziness

Posted via the Android Central App

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site

If you haven't used wireless charging I can see that you don't think it is very useful. I first experienced it on my LG G2 and liked it alot. I even got an AirCharge wireless case for my Iphone 6. I have Qi chargers that tilt back around 20 degrees and I can just place my N6 on it and see messages, while it charges. My wife has a Galaxy S6 and that also uses wireless charging. Trust me, if the Moto X had wireless charging internally, people would probably use it. Turbo charging is fine, but for overnight, wireless is great.

Rumors are that Verizon will bring out the Droid Turbo 2, based on the Moto Pure and it will have wireless charging.

Last edited:

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

If you haven't used wireless charging I can see that you don't think it is very useful. I first experienced it on my LG G2 and liked it alot. I even got an AirCharge wireless case for my Iphone 6. I have Qi chargers that tilt back around 20 degrees and I can just place my N6 on it and see messages, while it charges. My wife has a Galaxy S6 and that also uses wireless charging. Trust me, if the Moto X had wireless charging internally, people would probably use it. Turbo charging is fine, but for overnight, wireless is great.

I've used wireless charging first on my Droid DNA.

It's a great tool, but its trickle charge is too slow. Turbo Charging is simply better.

An emergency can happen at anytime, day or night. If my phone is on a wireless charger and I'm suddenly having to get up and go, there's a good chance my phone will have very little power.

If it's on a turbo charger, it will of course, have more battery life.

Also, many people use their phones while they charge. Can't do that with a wireless charger.

That said, it is counterproductive to use your phone while it charges, so that's a bit of a wash to me.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

I have a wireless charger and used it briefly but ended up just going back. It's slow and I can't charge and use my phone at the same time.

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site

Yeah I've never been interested in wireless charging for those exact reasons. I often use my phone while it's charging.

In fact, that's what I'm doing right now!

WaltA

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site

I would never buy a new cell phone that doesn't have wireless charging.

I have owned several cell phones over the years (decades?), and I found that the part the fails first, has always been the charging port. There have been many types, from coaxial, up to today's micro USB. But with constant plugging in, and plugging out, it unfortunately either wears out, gets "dirty" (oxidizes), or mechanically breaks.

Wireless charging solved that problem for me. You couldn't pay me to go backward.

EJT

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

The lack of wireless charging on the Pure wasn't a deal breaker for me, but I do like it on my Nexus 6. I use it all the time.

Dan M7

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site

I initially wanted wireless charging but it's slow. I'd rather spend $20 on a dual 2.8A USB charger then on a wireless charger. It's a hassle to put it on the charger and if you need it while its charging, its useless. Especially with non-removeable battery, you can't just put a fresh battery like I do on my LG G3.

It actually is removable. Motorola just doesn't tell you that lol. There are YouTube videos on how to do it, I've done it, it's really not that bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa