Screen Casting.

jbird68

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
Tried to cast a live stream from my phone to my Roku. Phone won't recognize any devices. But I can cast YouTube videos just fine. I've heard that google has restricted casting to the Chromecast stick only. But it will still let me cast YouTube videos to my Roku? What a joke. Let's play nice with other devices.

smvim

May 16, 2014
Visit site
I've heard that google has restricted casting to the Chromecast stick only. ...

That's odd, I've read just the opposite. More or less going back to when Chromecast was first released back in 2013, Google actually welcomes other services to add Chromecast compatibility. Its API is freely available for developers to add Chromecast support into their products, be it online streaming services to set top boxes. Perhaps you're confusing Chromecast with Amazon's Fire Stick or Apple TV?

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...ith-new-streaming-sdk-for-ios-android-chrome/

https://www.fastcompany.com/3014797/wow-googles-chromecast-is-amazingly-hackable

jbird68

Dec 23, 2016
Visit site
Well, whatever the case, I still can't cast to my Roku 3. Only YouTube videos will work. The Cast option on my Z Play will not detect my Roku.

jzachariasen

Feb 4, 2016
Visit site
I use my old Droid turbo if I want to cast (mirror) the actual screen to my Roku and it works great! I was very disappointed when I upgraded to a z play an found out my old phone was more capable.

DuskDawns

Jun 9, 2017
Visit site
Well, whatever the case, I still can't cast to my Roku 3. Only YouTube videos will work. The Cast option on my Z Play will not detect my Roku.

The Moto Z will only cast the the Chromecast dongle. The reason YouTube will stream is because there is a YouTube app on your Roku. It's all bs if you ask me, was so disappointed to find this out after purchase. You can't even buy an HDMI adapter to cast that way. It's all about the money.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Someone at Motorola forgot to remove the Miracast references in the manual.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa