Trouble with Factory Reset for Moto Z Play

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I just got this phone last night and, after moving over all that I could from my Moto X2 with NFC, I used SMS Backup+ to back up and then transfer phone call and text data. But it only imported some of the data and in a rather random fashion.

So I backed up the MX2 with SMS Backup & Restore and would like to move that data to the ZPlay, but I don't want duplicates, so I've been trying to do a factory reset for an hour or so.

I'm fine up to the point that I see the sideways Android guy with the red triangle with exclamation point, but nothing works after that. I've been using both the Motorola instructions and those from the Verizon site, but I can't find concise info regarding exactly the order and duration of butter holds to actually get to the "Wipe data/factory reset" option. Instead, the phone just eventually reboots in normal mode with the same data still on the phone.

Can anybody help me with this?

Last edited:

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Is that the screen with the 'no command' message? In general I prefer the factory reset option from the general settings, but if you're stuck on that screen try holding the power button for 3-5 seconds and then press and release volume up.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Is that the screen with the 'no command' message? In general I prefer the factory reset option from the general settings, but if you're stuck on that screen try holding the power button for 3-5 seconds and then press and release volume up.

Ah, thanks! I looked in Settings first but didn't scroll down far enough to see this, so I did a search regarding how to do it and everything was about the external version.

Thanks again!

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Ah, thanks! I looked in Settings first but didn't scroll down far enough to see this, so I did a search regarding how to do it and everything was about the external version.

Thanks again!

Yeah, that option is way down under Backup & reset. Anyway, try what I posted before, the same menu includes the 'cache partition wipe' option, useful after you get a system update or when your phone starts to give you some problems.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Oh, by the way. Glad you finally decided for the Z Play. Monster battery, Moto software, the SD625 will give you an excellent performance and you won't miss so much from the flagships :)

When I retired my X Play I was in doubt between the Z Play models or the new G5S+, which I bought. Excellent mid-rangers.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Do you know how to globally choose no notifications be displayed on the lock screen except the ones that you specifically choose–other than to go into the settings of every app to do it?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Do you know how to globally choose no notifications be displayed on the lock screen except the ones that you specifically choose–other than to go into the settings of every app to do it?
Tricky. The best way is doing it through the Moto app. Open it - Moto Display - Moto Display more settings - block apps. As far as I know there's no way to do it the other way around (general block & make exceptions).

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Oh, by the way. Glad you finally decided for the Z Play. Monster battery, Moto software, the SD625 will give you an excellent performance and you won't miss so much from the flagships :)

When I retired my X Play I was in doubt between the Z Play models or the new G5S+, which I bought. Excellent mid-rangers.

Thanks! I think I'll be very pleased with this purchase.

Given my recent battery fiasco with the X2, and the fact that it's battery capacity was fairly low, battery life was my main criterion. Even though the S7 Edge has a slightly larger battery, it didn't seem to last longer than the ZPlay, at least not from what I read online. –I'm guessing that's due to TouchWiz in general, the higher screen resolution and more powerful processor.

Apple2Droid

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
I've been using the phone for about 10 days now. I really like it but I've discovered that I think it's too big for me. I have longer fingers but smaller (woman) hands and the size and weight are challenging for me, especially since my dominant hand is injured. I have it in an Incipio Level 4 case which, I think, provides really good protection, but it isn't as grippy as I would like so I'm always worried that I'll drop it. I just ordered a Speck Candyshell Grip case to see if its grippyness helps.