Droid 2 WiFi Problem

Kmcferrin

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Same problem with me. I went into my router and change channel from Auto to 7 (auto set it at 6). All my neighbors are on 6, but other devices don't seem to care. The D2 wifi is rock solid now.

That shouldn't matter, as any wifi device should be capable of scanning all of the channels looking for APs. You typically only set your AP channel if you are deploying a WLAN with multiple APs and need roaming and handoff capability. Or if there are a large number of APs in your area and you want to use a different slice of spectrum for bandwidth issues.

blulite

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
That shouldn't matter, as any wifi device should be capable of scanning all of the channels looking for APs. You typically only set your AP channel if you are deploying a WLAN with multiple APs and need roaming and handoff capability. Or if there are a large number of APs in your area and you want to use a different slice of spectrum for bandwidth issues.

Agreed, shouldn't matter. But Droid2 works on 7, not on 6. Set to Auto and the router lands on 6.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I experienced this for the first time yesterday. Thankfully it was brief. This occurred while using Switch Widget Pro, so 3rd party widgets or not, it happens. Hopefully this latest update that got pushed out today patches that little bug, since regardless of how rare it happens, it can be very annoying.

vincey2kr1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Well the over the air update we had did NOt fix the wifi dropped/reconnecting issue Im having with my droid2. Never had this problem on my Pre or Evo. Did anyone fix this problem by exchanging thier d2?

vincey2kr1

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Just replaced my droid , I was able to replicate the problem at the verizon store with there router before they would exchange it. Got home and the same problem with wifi dropping signal and reconnecting...

Jonegross

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I have the wifi issue and cell signal issue too. It is very inconsistent. Most the time the wifis work just fine, but occasionally it will go into spastic mode. I change some things on the network, think I fixed it. But in reality the problem is still there, its just that its not there all the time. I'm thinking its more of a hardware/memory issue. Its pretty much the same with cell signal. Works fine most the time but then goes into spazz mode where it drops signal, tells me I'm not connect, cant get web pages....all in an area were signal is perfect with other phones. I figure this is one of those type of problems that will never get fixed, inclinded to get a different phone. But really verizon doesn't offer anything I am intere

Mysticist

Sep 28, 2010
Visit site
Don't use wireless networks

Try going to settings -> Location & Security- > uncheck Use Wireless Networks
This seems to have cleared mine up, and I'm on my 3rd replacement Droid 2. I ended up checking for the return of the on/off bug with each app install & change I made. When I turned on Use Wireless Networks for Beautiful Widgets the wifi issues returned. I hope this helps,

elvyrorie

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
Disable WMM

I had this problem and I got really angry at first. Try disabling the WMM on your router. That fixed the problem with mine. I have Netgear router.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Let me clarify, that I have yet to experience my WiFi just dropping. My problem was that it would seemingly struggle a bit reconnecting to WiFi aster idling for a bit.

That issue has been rare.

faithie

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I think I fixed the problem for mine and I hope this helps others.

Hardware: Moto Droid 2 with Netgear router
Problem: On-Off, On-Off issue and dropping connections after a few minutes

Solution:

On the netgear router:
1. Disable WMM
2. Use WPA2-PSK [AES] ONLY
3. Mode Up to 145 mbs NOT 300 mbs
4. Channel- This is the major problem for me. All of my neighbors (10 of them) are using channels 3,4,5,6,7. Get wifi analyzer free from droid market and do a scan. Pick a channel that is NOT being used by your neighbors. Usually channel 11 is the most free.
5. Wireless Card Access- can be on but add your phone Mac address in there.
6. In the router status- find out what the LAN ip address. For Example : 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1 and write down the DNS servers. usually there are 2 of them.

On your phone:
1. In the advance settings, set wifi sleep policy to never.
2. unchecked auto IP
3. check static IP
4. Under IP address, put the Lan IP address and the last digit, pick an IP that is not in use. like.. 192.168.0.85
5. Gateway is your Lan IP (192.168.0.1)
6. Netmask: 255.255.255.0
7. DNS 1: Whatever it is on your router.
8. DNS 2: Whatever it is on your router.
9. If you are using tasker or any other auto profiles to turn on your wifi when you are at home based on your GPS location, don't do that. If you are walking in the middle of your house and lost the GPS connection, it will turn off your WIFI.

My Droid 2 was going crazy: On-off, on-off, disconnects after a few minutes. etc.

With the settings above- I am connected for 2 days until I manually turn it off either on the widget or under wifi settings. I don't think the wifi widget was the problem.

I "think" the problem is that the phone is not as good as a normal built-in wifi or usb wifi. It gets confused when there are too many signals. And, the newer routers have multiple bands that go a long distant. I can walk with my phone about 400 feet from my house and still be connected. The auto IP will get you stuck since it's waiting for the DHCP Sever to give your phone an IP from the router. This takes anywhere from 1-50 seconds.

Hopes this helps. I know the procedure is long but it works for me. Just set it one time.

Later!

gkips

Oct 19, 2010
www.google.com
Possible solution

After reading this whole thread - which I would recommend anyway as it has lots of good insights - I discovered something I had been doing "wrong."

When connecting a computer to my wifi network, I typically use the ASCii passphrase instead of the hex key, and my Droid 2 was no different.

It suddenly occurred to me that the on/off/on/off might be the Droid having some sort of password failure. I deleted the old 'remembered' listing for my wifi on the Droid, turned off wifi, turned it back on, and used the hexadecimal WEP key instead.

Success! My Droid connected immediately. To be fair, I did turn off WMM before doing this, but it did not initially help with the problem.

SRP

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Problem potential solution

Many thanks to those who have posted possible solutions that worked for them. It assisted with being able to piece together a solution that has worked for me. As with most problems of this nature, its likely unique to your environment.

My environment, Droid 2 at home, D-Link DIR-825 Router h/w B1, now at firmware level 2.03NA (shipped with 2.02NA).

While I am convinced the Driod 2 has a firmware problem as we have both a Droid 2 and an HTC incredible (the latter works flawlessly in the same space) and I need to address that back at the Verizon store, in the meanwhile I wanted to at least try to get it stable on the network at home. So using various suggestions from this forum, I spent some time going through them. None of the suggestions worked for this combo.

I was however convinced given the symptoms (on off on off, never on the network for more than a second) and it always seemed the droid was always saying "waiting for address..." or such.

So I thought about the static addressing a bit, I didn't really want to put the phone in that mode, so I though I would use the mac address and get the router to hand out the same reserved IP. There the fun started. The router was convinced that the mac address was invalid (it starts with F8, most addresses start with 00). So off to the D-Link site, yes they were getting many hits on their forums for invalid addresses, and they did have a firmware upgrade, so I downloaded and installed that. The phone was still not happy with just the upgrade, but when I assigned a reserved address, solved... the phone is now 100% stable on the home network. So while I'll leave the why's to more capable DHCP experts, this experience may help others on their quest to get this working at least at home.

Hopefully Motorola will over time find and flash the firmware to fix this, or adopt a new chipset or such. I will be working with the Verizon store to pursue this. My thanks to those who posted their solutions, it was beneficial to get me looking in the right places.

iamjoshfrank

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
We received our Droid 2 and Incredible by FedEx yesterday. Now we are learning to use them.

Our Droid 2 is having the same Wifi problems reported here - cycling On, Off, On, Off. When it does stay on and tries to connect to our wireless network (correct password is entered and saved), it gets stuck on "Obtaining IP address."

In a nutshell:
New Droid 2. No new apps/widgets installed.
Turning Wifi to On: usually sends it to Off, On, Off, On cycle indefinitely.
When it does stay on, it gets stuck "Obtaining IP address"
Apple Airport Express modem
Edit: password mode is set to WEP on the Airport Express. But when the Droid 2's Wifi finally sticks to "On," and shows the available networks, it says the password mode is WPA/WP2 PSK. Why the discrepancy?

The Incredible's Wifi turns on, stays one, and quickly connects to our home network with no problem.

Shouldn't they both behave the same?

Last edited: