Droid R2D2 Keeps Rebooting

ILdylan

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
It hasn't been a major inconvenience yet, but my new Droid R2D2 keeps randomly rebooting, at least it seems random.

List of installed apps:

Astro File Manager
Barcode Scanner
Geocaching
Handcent SMS
Droid Light
eBay
Facebook
Google Voice
My Tracks
Pandora
Google Scoreboard
Voice Plus

Of those, when the phone reboots, only these are running:

eBay
Facebook
Google Voice
Handcent
Scoreboard

I also have a 16gb microSD card which I formated with the device when I first installed it.

I feel like my first steps should be to remove those apps that are running when it when it first boots, but I would just like some confirmation from more experienced users.

I have rebooted and pulled the battery several times.

anon(58977)

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I also have

Barcode Scanner
eBay
Facebook
Google Voice
Pandora

and do not have any issues, however what I would suggest, and probably what most people would suggest, start with the latest app installed, unisntall it, and see how things go. If it still reboots, uninstall the next one, until you can determine which app is causing it. Or it may actually be a combination of apps causing the issue.

Reactions: ILdylan

ILdylan

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a feeling it was either eBay or Handcent SMS. Luckily it happens relatively infrequently (at least a couple hours between each power cycle).

I have a feeling you may be right on the idea of a combination of apps causing the issue, as all of the apps I have are recommended installs.

I'm going to do some more note taking on the symptoms, and their frequency, and hopefully that will help narrow it down.

ILdylan

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Some google search results say that handcent has issues on the Droid/D2. I cleared the cache for the app and I'm going to uninstall if it reboots again and then go from their.

Anyone else with a Droid/D2 having issues with handcent?

(thanks again jediman)

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
my fiance runs her droid 2 with handcent and ebay no issues for her at all runs quick and smooth. i would try pulling the sd for a day could be corrupted causing issues.

corydunbar

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
it was a little glitchy when i first got my D2. so i decided to settle for the stock messaging app and to use SMS Popup as an alternative. it is ok, but the stock messaging app takes forever to scan your contact list for your To:****** queries. i think i'm gonna try and port the vanilla messenging app over or give handcent another try.

ILdylan

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
That was my other thought. On my bby it used to show me that it was still indexing the card (while it was indexing it). That process usually only took a few minutes. The time period between power cycles makes me think that the card isn't the issue, but who knows.

I'm assuming if I format the SDcard again it should alleviate that?

Knock on wood it hasn't powercycled since 10:38amCST

ILdylan

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Update: It just rebooted again.

I have since unmounted my SD card. We will see how long this lasts.

Edit:
-Rebooted again (12:46p) - Uninstalling Handcent
-Rebooted again (1:28p) - Uninstalled Droid Light, and physically removed SD card. (Could the class of the SD card be an issue?)

Last edited:

ILdylan

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
So... It seems like the 16gb MicroSD card I had was the problem. It hasn't rebooted since I removed the card.

I replaced it with the 8gb one that came with the phone, and it hasn't rebooted (jinx'n myself again). They are both sanDisk but the MicroSDHC graphic is different.

The real test will be tonight to see if I'm awoke in the middle of the night by R2D2 on my boot sequence.

charonman

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Just a quick note to let you know you're not alone. My R2D2 Droid 2 has rebooted spontaneously at least twice. In my case, it occurred when someone was calling me. I use Google Voice so I thought it might have something to do with that, but poking around and researching didn't reveal anything (and I'm loathe to give it up). Instead, I deactivated some of the notification widgets and kept it simple, just icons for launching. So far, so good...no reboots in the last 36 hours. I'll be testing it some more over the weekend and will report back on the reboot issue. (I'm also seeing a signal fluctuation issue and poor battery performance, also troubleshooting.)

ILdylan

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I also closed some widgets. Stupid me not following the scientific method.

I wonder if there any major differences from the D2 and the R2D2 D2?

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Factory reset then manually reload all your apps one at a time. Thus but I get the same reboots running the r2d2 firmware so I think its a bug in the system. btw I have none of those apps installed

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
im glad you found your culprit its funny a friend of mine who just got a r2d2 model and he swapped out the 8 gb for a pny 16gb class 2 and it froze up the phone while transfering data from pc and wouldnt unmount so he took it out. i wonder if it really needs a class 4. i tried the class 2 in my incredible and works great no issues so its not the card.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I also closed some widgets. Stupid me not following the scientific method.

I wonder if there any major differences from the D2 and the R2D2 D2?

there is somewhat of a firmware difference how much of it is just skinning i do not know but i know i read the droid 2 is 2.4.0 and the r2d2 is 2.4.5 so what the true difference is not sure could just be the skinning of the lockscreen etc or a few tweaks.

ILdylan

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Went all night w/o reboot. I'm going to refrain from doing my daily powercycle just to see if I can get some solid uptime with this thing.

Thanks again everyone.

charonman - you still having issues?

ILdylan

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
After about 28hours uptime - it just crased and rebooted on its own while listening to some media. I'm giving up on this for now. I think has got to be an issue with the software build on the R2D2 (like what thebizz was talking about).

I already called VZW and started documenting the fact that I am having issues so if worse comes to worse they have record of my problems.

edit: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...al-r2-d2-d2-owners-thread.html?highlight=r2d2

Last edited:

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
After about 28hours uptime - it just crased and rebooted on its own while listening to some media. I'm giving up on this for now. I think has got to be an issue with the software build on the R2D2 (like what thebizz was talking about).

I already called VZW and started documenting the fact that I am having issues so if worse comes to worse they have record of my problems.

edit: [Official] R2-D2 [D2] Owners Thread - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

well if you wanna stick with an r2d2 model i would have it replaced asap before they sell out and might have to downgrade you to a regular model if your not concerned then thats your call.

ILdylan

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
That sounds a little drastic. From what I read it is an issue with the firmware, not the hardware.

You think swapping is the way to go?

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
That sounds a little drastic. From what I read it is an issue with the firmware, not the hardware.

You think swapping is the way to go?

i havent heard too many issues of this sort and yes it could be drastic but it would suck if it turns out to be your device and you need to replace it and they dont have anymore thats all im saying.

ILdylan

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
That is very true. I would be rather upset. I'll call them again if it keeps happening and see if they can't ship me a new one.

I have been reading that the 2.4.5 is having issues though. The phone has only been out for a little over a week.