Really would like to hear about battery life & signal strength!

WarER4X

Feb 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Really would like to hear about battery life & signal strengt

Yeah, just peaked at the battery stats...

Maps 39% (!)
Wi-fi 17%
Cell standby 17%
Phone idle 12%
Android system 8%
Display 6% (holy smokes!!)
Android OS 2%

I know, right? With any other phone, just having the display on for a short while puts it at the top of the list for battery drain. Ninja is right, though, using navigation on the phone without having it plugged into a power source can drain your battery so quick that it gets hot. For some phone models, people have even said that the battery still drains while charging on the car adapter, but it just drains slower. I don't know how true that is but it illustrates the point of just how much juice it takes for the phone to do Navigation.

-SR-

mbrouill

May 25, 2011
Visit site

With the little tuning of the phone people had suggested, my battery life has improved immensely.

Thanks everyone...

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Wondering if this is normal? I fully charge my battery and then no use from midnight till 8am and by 3pm with little use my battery is down to 20%

Cell standby- 48%
Phone idle- 46%

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
I know, right? With any other phone, just having the display on for a short while puts it at the top of the list for battery drain. Ninja is right, though, using navigation on the phone without having it plugged into a power source can drain your battery so quick that it gets hot. For some phone models, people have even said that the battery still drains while charging on the car adapter, but it just drains slower. I don't know how true that is but it illustrates the point of just how much juice it takes for the phone to do Navigation.

-SR-

Depends on the car adapter, some of them don't put out enough juice to charge while navigating. I always buy them from amazon and read the reviews carefully, someone usually indicates the output if it isn't listed in the description. Also, they cost 3-5 dollars on amazon.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

ninjataint

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Wondering if this is normal? I fully charge my battery and then no use from midnight till 8am and by 3pm with little use my battery is down to 20%

Cell standby- 48%
Phone idle- 46%

Are you in global or cdma mode? Also, you could put your phone in sleep mode when you go to bed if you aren't using the alarm.

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010
www.dancingcrabspeaks.blogspot.com

-SR-

I wasn't using Navigation per se... It was using the Maps app with public transit and walking direction overlays. There wasn't any turn-by-turn, voice-guided direction. However, the GPS was obviously on and it was having to continuously update.

Either way, I think my battery/OS is taking a little time to figure stuff out, because even though it was at 5% when I posted last night, it hadn't died over two hours later even with continued occasional use! I gave up waiting for it to empty and just charged the thing when I went to bed. Will see how today goes.

mbrouill said:
With the little tuning of the phone people had suggested, my battery life has improved immensely.

Out of curiosity, what tweaks are you referring to? I have switched mine to CDMA only and have nighttimer saver mode on.

dirt4444

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Are you in global or cdma mode? Also, you could put your phone in sleep mode when you go to bed if you aren't using the alarm.

Yes im in cdma mode and I do use the alarm. Could it be just a bad battery?

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site

man...WHY couldn't this be an LTE phone and be stock android...

cozz

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Cell standby- 48%
Phone idle- 46%

honestly, this is the biggest question i have as well. i have been getting pretty good battery life out of my d3 with pretty heavy usage so far, but consistently cell standby and phone idle are at the top of the list by far.

todays stats for example (1/2 way through day)

unplugged for 6 1/2 hrs w/ 80% batt left:

Cell standby: 42%
Phone idle: 38%
Voice calls: 10%
Display: 6%
Browser: 2%
Android System: 2%
Android OS: 2%

do any other phones have standby and idle so high?

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site

hard to say. i've only had it for 2 days and i work in a bomb shelter so i never have signal.

cozz

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Just compared battery stats to my friend with the htc g2 and his phone idle is 2% and cell standby is 2% after about 10 hrs off the charger. So that would seem to suggest something is wrong and hopefully will be fixed with a future update which should improve battery life greatly if stats differ by that much

trailblazen

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

Thanks everyone...

yeah I just got my wifes D3 an hour ago and in the store I was telling the reps about the global default and how it drains the battery and made that the first thing we did in the store. Now when they start setting them up they said they will be setting it to CDMA only for their customers unless they are specifically on their way out of the country. The word is spreading.

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

yeah I just got my wifes D3 an hour ago and in the store I was telling the reps about the global default and how it drains the battery and made that the first thing we did in the store. Now when they start setting them up they said they will be setting it to CDMA only for their customers unless they are specifically on their way out of the country. The word is spreading.

How do you change it to CDMA only?

dancingcrab

Feb 16, 2010
www.dancingcrabspeaks.blogspot.com

Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > Network Mode.

::EDIT::

Just looking over my Day 4 battery stats (my Day 3 stats are somewhere previous in this thread). Very interesting. I'm almost at 15 hours with 20% left, and still it's reporting that Maps is causing over 40% of the drain. This is weird because I've only used Maps a little today (unlike all the directions I was looking up yesterday).

Maps 41%
Cell standby 17%
Wi-Fi 16%
Phone idle 14%
Android System 8%
Display 3% (Keeps getting lower... I swear I'm using this thing all the time)
Android OS 2%

Kinda high standby and idle, but what is up with Maps??

Last edited:

tedbear43

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site

Can anybody compare battery life and signal strength to the Droid 2: Global? Really interested in thus upgrade but also a little gun-shy of loosing what I have with the D2G.
I am very satisfied with battery life of my D3. Only had it since Wednesday but signal strength, wi-fi access at work and overall use seems good. I am looking forward to the weekend when i have some time to play with the phone, download a few extra apps and become a bit more Droid savvy. The keyboard is very nice, good tactile experience and that is what i wanted.

kelton

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm interested in taking the droid 3 for a test drive, but coming from blackberry, I am very curious about battery life issues. (also interested in the usefulness of the physical keyboard, but that is a different thread)

Does the extended battery totally resolve any worries over battery life?

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site

Thanks for the tip. Just set it to CDMA and will see what happens. Now if I could just get rid of all the icons of products I would never use.

DO YOU HEAR ME VERIZON???
I also thank you for the tip about CDMA and not using Global. I don't travel overseas so I don't need it set to that. I will see if that helps my issues.

I woke up this morning and didn't touch my phone until 15 minutes off the charger and it was down to 40% .... so either I have a bad device or bad battery or this was causing problems.

akronevan2

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site

I woke up this morning and didn't touch my phone until 15 minutes off the charger and it was down to 40% .... so either I have a bad device or bad battery or this was causing problems.

Nope that is absolutely normal....ah, no I'm joking. LOL Either your phone didn't charge last night, or there is a serious problem with it. Try to charge it once more, see if it holds a charge, and if it doesn't, then take it back.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87